Black and White Clipping on Philips HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! Having a bit of trouble calibrating my Philips 42PFL3603D/F7 HDTV hooked to my Yamaha RX-V371 AVR. I am using the AVS HD 709 mp4 video files to do this. I reset my AV options on my TV back to default. Turned off all enhancements, set tone to Normal (other options being Warm/Cool). My TV also has an HDTV or PC mode: I use HDTV mode. There is an Active Control for the backlight (a sensor that determines amount of light and adjusts backlight accordingly) I turned that off.

Now first, I hooked up my external hard drive to the PS3 to do this. On the PS3, changed Blu Ray output setting as Y PB/CB Pr/Cr, RGB Limited Range, Super White On, and Deep Color as Automatic.

When I did the Black Clipping test, I can only see lines 17 and up. I cant see 16 or below, no matter how high I set brightness. Given that, I set my brightness to 55. I next did the White Clipping test. I had a similar issue: I can see the lines up to 233 pretty ok, but I can BARELY BARELY see 234 - absolutley nothing past 234 no matter what. I start with contrast all the way down to 0, turn it up very slowly. Some numbers I can barely see 234, some it goes away. I noticed I can crank my contrast all the way up to 100 and it doesnt distort white images.

I wondered if possibly my AVR was the culprit, so I hooked my PS3 directly to my TV and tried it again with the same issue. I even messed with the options on the PS3 and it made no difference.

Next up, I have my computer hooked up to my AVR as well as it is my HTPC. I have an ATI HD3400 in it (crappy I know - it's old). I had the exact same issue as mentioned before. I messed with all kinds of settings with no prevail.

Would this lead one to believe it is just my TV that is the issue? Is there something wrong with it or that's just how it maybe is made? Would it be ok to have the contrast cranked up really high, around 80? Thanks to all who read this and all future help!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page