Wanted: FPD benchmark blu-ray. Also, is APDC test pattern copyrighted? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hello,

I'm looking to obtain an FPD benchmark disc -- or some other APDC moving test patterns. In addition, is the APDC test pattern copyrighted, or have they permitted other people to use this test pattern, allowed to be implemented into a software program? Copyright information of APDC is extremely hard to find, and http://www.advanced-pdp.jp appears to be a blog in Japanese.

P.S. I am wanting to test with my upcoming moving-camera setup (tracking camera), and also test compatibility with an upcoming new motion-resolution testing benchmark number standard. (thread)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nobody has the FPD Benchmark Software Blu-ray disc?

Seems like a hard disc to obtain these days.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

post #3 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
post #4 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I do have this, it was never 'for sale' and can be hard to find..

It has the macbeth colorchart which I have used along with a few other interesting patterns

I have the 2006 QVD-1001 Edition (has extra label 'for Professional') and is MPEG-2 - The contents are copyrighted 2006. The 2007 QVD-1002B Edition is H.264 AVC

You should contact Advanced PDP Development Center Corporation about the APDC pattern

Also see:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1066429/moving-picture-resolution
www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/plasma-tvs/230140d1300014278-panasonic-2011-thread-moving-picture-resolutions.pdf

EDIT: oops, looks like their websites are no longer available

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #5 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 478
The Following disk has more patterns in total, good ones for motion and many others, more usefull wink.gif

Super HiVi Cast Check & Adjustment
http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/super-hivi-cast-check-adjustment.php

Buy From There:

http://dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=19076

I have just captured the main menu picture for you to see the whole patterns that are available.
http://postimage.org/image/3zpig1ird/full/

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post

Is this it?:
http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/fpd-benchmark-software.php
Yes. I'm looking for this disc, and would like to purchase a copy from someone who has it. Please send me a PM. The tests that most interest me, is the scroll test patterns.
The website that made this disc, no longer exists!

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

post #7 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Super HiVi Cast Check & Adjustment
http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/super-hivi-cast-check-adjustment.php
Buy From There:
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=19076
I have just captured the main menu picture for you to see the whole patterns that are available.
http://postimage.org/image/3zpig1ird/full/
Looks like an excellent disc, though overkill -- I could do with only 10% of the disc or less (especially all the scroll tests, 640, 960 and 1920). I'd pay max $100 for such a disc; this is more than $200 including shipping when currency is converted. Is there *any* disc with just the scroll tests, similiar to FPD, available for $100 or less?

P.S. This is just a supplemental disc, in addition to my existing tests, for my development of my zero-motion-blur gaming LCD project .... With a true measured MPRT of 0.5ms or less -- 1/2000sec -- less motion blur than CRT -- less motion blur than plasma. It's a modification of an existing gaming LCD panel; I'm using a massively overkill 250-watt strobed backlight in a 24" panel (3D-compatible shutter glasses TN panels at 120Hz refresh, that now manages to completely virtually erases its GTG pixel persistence (>99% on all GTG combinations) before its end of an 8ms refresh (but kept in the dark); before the backlight is strobed for 0.5ms on an already-refreshed LCD image, using my Arduino controller -- info found in my BlurBusters.com blog ....

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

post #8 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

The 2007 QVD-1002B Edition is H.264 AVC

That's the one I have - thx Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

Looks like an excellent disc, though overkill -- I could do with only 10% of the disc or less (especially all the scroll tests, 640, 960 and 1920). I'd pay max $100 for such a disc; this is more than $200 including shipping when currency is converted. Is there *any* disc with just the scroll tests, similiar to FPD, available for $100 or less?

There is a new S&M disc coming out soon. You might want to wait and see what's on it. smile.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #9 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This Disk has 4 motion resolution patterns:

Hi-Definition Reference Disc
http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/hi-definition-reference-disc.php

With Free Shipping Here:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/hi-definition-reference-disc-blu-ray-japan-version/1005199279-0-0-0-en/info.html

A Professional application that is running from your pc with 5 different frame rates can be selected: 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60p, with adjustable from keyboatd of speed in pixels.
Expensive solution but with many options wink.gif

Burosch Motion Blur Expert Analysis

http://www.burosch.de/shop/product.php?id_product=5

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this disk also with some very impressive (full color/not only b/w videos like the other disks) that makes things more difficult for the displays, some motion resolution patterns with 1200pps + 1500pps speed, there 13 videos there.
Check the 9 last pictures.

Panasonic '12 VIERA 3D/2D Demonstration Disc
http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/panasonic-12-viera-3d-2d-demo-disc.php

*** Buzz, this will be your gift for this month, i have 2 copies of that disk smile.gif

post #11 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Another option, since you're doing development and want something more accurate, would be an AccuPel DVG-5000 with the motion resolution patterns. It's expensive compared to a disc, but it's in a totally different league.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #12 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check out my developments at www.blurbusters.com
So my budget is being kept low, as this is a hobby modification of a display, not a new display for commercial sale.
This is being done in my spare time, in my "BlurBusters Lab" at home.

I've also posted a thread about this in AVSFORUM:
Arduino scanning backlight for LCD to simulate "960Hz"/"1920Hz" with NO interpolation! (CRT-like motion)
It's a video-game friendly (low-lag) method of eliminating motion blur on an LCD display. After that thread was created, I started the project, of which my progress is ongoing at www.blurbusters.com -- I even posted a link to an AnandTech article smile.gif

Although, the plans have changed a little bit -- priority is now full-screen backlight strobe instead of a sequential scan of LED's (much like a turbo-charged nVidia 3D Lightboost 2, but with much shorter strobes)
That said, many of you have posted links to some very impressive motion test pattern software!
I may have to raise my budget.

I notice some of you are editors for magazines and blogs. You might want to pay attention to my blog over the coming months, because I'll be doing an impressive hobbyist display modification of an existing high-end 120Hz videogaming LCD computer monitor -- creating a zero motion blur LCD, with an MPRT of 0.5 millisecond (better than a typical CRT) via backlight flashing. Far less motion blur than all commerecially available plasmas and LCD's today on the market.

Technical info: Even though LCD panel tech already make this possible today, this is not being done by manufacturers (yet) because no manufacturer currently put 150 watts of LED per square feet (expensive) into a display -- 250 watts of LED in a 24" monitor -- needed for bright 0.5 millisecond strobes that does not make the display dim. Flashing the backlight every refresh has the CRT flicker disadvantage (not noticeable to most at 120Hz), some people still buy CRT (e.g. Sony FW900) to play FPS shooter videogames with virtually no motion blur visible to human eye. The backlight flicker can be disabled when just web browsing. I will be publishing instructions that anybody else can do to reproduce what I am doing -- this is an open-source project. I received the ultra bright LED's I'll be putting behind the LCD panel; see photos at www.blurbusters.com, currently, I'm in motion-comparison research, and researching my best options for backlight diffusers that stay bright (fresnel-like lens sheets, translucent sheets, etc), since I need all the lumens possible in my 0.5ms strobes, to keep the picture bright, while having zero motion blur.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

post #13 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ConnecTEDDD,

quick question for you... looks like you own the Super HiVi Cast test disc.

Would you confirm if the tracks:

Pink Noise (2:00) PCM 7.1 / TrueHD 7.1 / DTS-HD MA 7.1

1kHz (-20dB) (1:45) PCM 7.1 / TrueHD 7.1 / DTS-HD MA 7.1

are in fact played one channel at a time for a few seconds?

Of particular importance to me is the PCM 7.1, but i can't find a disc other than this that plays a 1khz wave signal at -20db on at least 7 (of a 7.1 channel) set up.

As far as i can read, though, the disc only confirms that a PCM signal is recorded as 7.1 (which could mean all channels playing at the same time...)

thanks
m
post #14 of 15 Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewinburn View Post

ConnecTEDDD,
quick question for you... looks like you own the Super HiVi Cast test disc.
Would you confirm if the tracks:
Pink Noise (2:00) PCM 7.1 / TrueHD 7.1 / DTS-HD MA 7.1
1kHz (-20dB) (1:45) PCM 7.1 / TrueHD 7.1 / DTS-HD MA 7.1
are in fact played one channel at a time for a few seconds?
Of particular importance to me is the PCM 7.1, but i can't find a disc other than this that plays a 1khz wave signal at -20db on at least 7 (of a 7.1 channel) set up.
As far as i can read, though, the disc only confirms that a PCM signal is recorded as 7.1 (which could mean all channels playing at the same time...)
thanks
m

Hey Mike, the sound is playing for 15sec per channel for each chapter.

post #15 of 15 Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you, kind sir! that's fantastic news... time to hunt this disc down pronto...

brings a quick question to mind though.... i see the channels show 7.1... when it gets to the LFE/ .1 Sub channel... does the display indicate it's actually outputting a signal? i would presume it would skip the .1 (unless its re-routing it to a ceiling channel or something as the Telarc reference discs do).

i appreciate the touch back
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page