Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 735 Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You can use the left and right arrow keys to move between patterns. Up and down to show and hide help.

Chapter keys are different on every remote. Hard to find in the dark. Arrow keys are easier to locate. Also, to go to previous would require double press fast to go back. Left arrow is just once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 735 Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Confirmed! Now why didn't I try that? Thanks for your we quick reply. This will make navigation so much easier.
post #723 of 735 Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Dear Stacey,

Frist of all, I've been a big fan of the calibration discs you and Don have created. I've been an avid user since I got the version 1 disc with my Oppo BDP83 many years ago.

I recently upgraded to v2 of HD benchmarks because my red and blues and blacks were clipping and I needed better patterns to debug what's what. I'm using a Panasonic VT60 display and I'm calibrating for a late-night, almost black room that does have equipment light and some outdoor ambient light from a door preventing complete black.

I need some advice and guidance on how to best approach the clipping I'm seeing.

When I go to the Advanced Video Evaluation menu, I see that the Red, Blue, and Black are clipping.

Here's what I've done: I ran several passes with the calibration disc. I then used D-Nice's settings for the Panasonic ZT60 display (see post #4 at: 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread) These settings really helped the red and blue clipping quite a bit but I'm still experiencing some clipping in red and blue and my black is still clipping. When I watch the demo material or a movie, I find that bright scenes are picture perfect but the early morning demo material on the disc or dusk scenes don't look great. Everything to my eyes looks like it lacks the proper contrast and looks muted.

Here then are my questions:
  1. What patterns are best to determine the clipping
  2. What TV settings should I focus in on to address the clipping I'm seeing
  3. I feel as though my gamma gain needs refinement. Is there any series of test patterns that will allow me to calibrate the individual gain detail adjustment options that the Panasonic allows me to do? TIn the pro settings of the Panasonic ZT60, I can go into gamma gain settings in increments of 10 (10, 20, 30...100). I don't, however see . I don't see any way on the v2 disc to test each of those increments to see if I nailed them with the right settings.
  4. Is there any other advice that you would give me?

My signal chain right now consists of: Oppo BDP-83 to an Anthem AVM50v preamp to the Panasonic ZT60.

I love the products that you and Don have put together. I have found the discs to be a huge help to me and I look forward to your insights and suggestions on how I can continue to maximize the discs for my setup.

post #724 of 735 Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the feedback. I have asked Tyler to respond because he has a lot of VT60 experience. I had a VT20, but got rid of it over a year ago. On it, I really had to turn contrast way down to not clip. You might not want to lose that much light output and so you may need to make a compromise. I know someone else going through this with his ZT60.
post #725 of 735 Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I have asked Tyler to respond because he has a lot of VT60 experience. I had a VT20, but got rid of it over a year ago. On it, I really had to turn contrast way down to not clip. You might not want to lose that much light output and so you may need to make a compromise. I know someone else going through this with his ZT60.
Thanks a ton Stacey!

post #726 of 735 Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Congratulations on your new assignment with SpectraCal, Stacey! A good company just got better.
post #727 of 735 Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank You.
post #728 of 735 Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I picked up the S&M disc. Which test pattern can I use to test for moire, the picture looks a bit jumpy on pans, more so when camera pans up or down.

Edit: I have the Samsung 1080p OLED display and Oppo 105 BD player.

Last edited by Pres2play; 10-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.
post #729 of 735 Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure I understand the question on testing for moire.

Which picture looks a bit jumpy? All movies? Content on the disc? 24p content will judder as it pans since it is such a low framerate. The ASC has rules on how fast you can actually pan a camera.
post #730 of 735 Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I see it on the Lighthouse demo, as the camera pans up the tower. Its a slow shot so was a bit surprised to see this.
post #731 of 735 Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That's in the source. The panning speed was fast given how much was in focus.
post #732 of 735 Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info, the demo images are certainly beautiful.

I've been calibrating a few months now and I need all the help I can get understanding the patterns on the Spears & Munsil disc. Besides the Pattern Help Text, 2nd Edition, is there additional material for beginners like myself? The Color Space Evaluation article is a great example. I was able to follow along and determine the chroma upsampling on my display and player.
post #733 of 735 Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

All the articles on the website and text on the disc is all that we have. Is there something in particular you would like to know more about?

We have articles for all the basic user settings. Gamut, Gamma, and white balance really need a meter. If you have can use a 3D LUT, then you really need an automated pattern generator. I have been playing around with the Lumagen a lot lately and I really like it. I am using the Mini for a 24" 1080p TV in my kitchen. Yes, I you read that right. :-) I would like to get the 17-point capable Lumagen for my theater and maybe another mini for my bedroom.

Best,

Stacey
post #734 of 735 Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, just getting comfortable with the disc. Looks amazing. Can't wait to calibrate my set this week. Which do you recommend: Equal Energy windows or regular box?
post #735 of 735 Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have the S&M 2nd edition and think it is a fantastic disc

My question is
Using my Panasonic AE3000 LED projector
Even using the x3 filter when setting colour I can only get Red to go black, I cannot get the Yellow and Green to disappear.
There is no CMS
In the advanced menu I can adjust Gamma High, Medium and Low, Individual RGB Contrast and Individual RGB Brightness.
Checking the clipping pattern the colour space is 709

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated?

Regards
Andy
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition
Gear in this thread - Spears by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page