Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 725 Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You can use the left and right arrow keys to move between patterns. Up and down to show and hide help.

Chapter keys are different on every remote. Hard to find in the dark. Arrow keys are easier to locate. Also, to go to previous would require double press fast to go back. Left arrow is just once.

Stacey Spears
Co-Creator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 725 Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Confirmed! Now why didn't I try that? Thanks for your we quick reply. This will make navigation so much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #723 of 725 Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Dear Stacey,

Frist of all, I've been a big fan of the calibration discs you and Don have created. I've been an avid user since I got the version 1 disc with my Oppo BDP83 many years ago.

I recently upgraded to v2 of HD benchmarks because my red and blues and blacks were clipping and I needed better patterns to debug what's what. I'm using a Panasonic VT60 display and I'm calibrating for a late-night, almost black room that does have equipment light and some outdoor ambient light from a door preventing complete black.

I need some advice and guidance on how to best approach the clipping I'm seeing.

When I go to the Advanced Video Evaluation menu, I see that the Red, Blue, and Black are clipping.

Here's what I've done: I ran several passes with the calibration disc. I then used D-Nice's settings for the Panasonic ZT60 display (see post #4 at: 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread) These settings really helped the red and blue clipping quite a bit but I'm still experiencing some clipping in red and blue and my black is still clipping. When I watch the demo material or a movie, I find that bright scenes are picture perfect but the early morning demo material on the disc or dusk scenes don't look great. Everything to my eyes looks like it lacks the proper contrast and looks muted.

Here then are my questions:
  1. What patterns are best to determine the clipping
  2. What TV settings should I focus in on to address the clipping I'm seeing
  3. I feel as though my gamma gain needs refinement. Is there any series of test patterns that will allow me to calibrate the individual gain detail adjustment options that the Panasonic allows me to do? TIn the pro settings of the Panasonic ZT60, I can go into gamma gain settings in increments of 10 (10, 20, 30...100). I don't, however see . I don't see any way on the v2 disc to test each of those increments to see if I nailed them with the right settings.
  4. Is there any other advice that you would give me?

My signal chain right now consists of: Oppo BDP-83 to an Anthem AVM50v preamp to the Panasonic ZT60.

I love the products that you and Don have put together. I have found the discs to be a huge help to me and I look forward to your insights and suggestions on how I can continue to maximize the discs for my setup.

post #724 of 725 Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thank you for the feedback. I have asked Tyler to respond because he has a lot of VT60 experience. I had a VT20, but got rid of it over a year ago. On it, I really had to turn contrast way down to not clip. You might not want to lose that much light output and so you may need to make a compromise. I know someone else going through this with his ZT60.

Stacey Spears
Co-Creator,

post #725 of 725 Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I have asked Tyler to respond because he has a lot of VT60 experience. I had a VT20, but got rid of it over a year ago. On it, I really had to turn contrast way down to not clip. You might not want to lose that much light output and so you may need to make a compromise. I know someone else going through this with his ZT60.
Thanks a ton Stacey!

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition
Gear in this thread - Spears by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page