Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #901 of 916 Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimo View Post
I would set the brightness (black level) first. Also, what is your source blu-ray player?
Thanks for the reply

Yeah its a LG Blu-Ray Player
I have no problems setting the black levels but no matter what setting i can't get the contrast black bars to show up even after the black levels are set there still not showing up

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by kram1; 07-25-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram1 View Post
I could use some help here just got a new set the 2016 Sony XBR43X800D and grabbed a copy of above Spears & Munsil 2 to try and calibrate and right away I'm having some difficulty trying to set up the contrast first setting on the video
I've trying every possible setting and adjustment on the set and BR player and the inside bars are not really visible as you can see in the below picture
Maybe not compatible with the newer sets ?
Hi, what's your source player output settings?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #903 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Tried both these below settings coming off the LG BR player they don't make a different
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_043026.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1565441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_043246.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1565457  
post #904 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
But shouldn't contrast and luminosity set from the display instead of from the source player?
post #905 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreMo View Post
But shouldn't contrast and luminosity set from the display instead of from the source player?

Yeah all setting are adjusted from with in the display he just asked what my source player output settings were is all
post #906 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreMo View Post
Quote:
Yeah all setting are adjusted from with in the display he just asked what my source player output settings were is all
Yes, adjustments from the display only, from player disable any enhancement mode. Check and disable the enhancements from the display also. What do you see having the your display contrast slider at default position?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #907 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, adjustments from the display only, from player disable any enhancement mode. Check and disable the enhancements from the display also. What do you see having the your display contrast slider at default position?

All my display and player enhancements are turned off but on or off or in default after a reset which I've done many many times the contrast bars will not show up at all
In the picture i posted thats after I've made the best possible adjustment u can almost see just a small hint of 231 -233
post #908 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
All my display and player enhancements are turned off but on or off or in default after a reset which I've done many many times the contrast bars will not show up at all
In the picture i posted thats after I've made the best possible adjustment u can almost see just a small hint of 231 -233
The correct setting for your Blu-ray player will be YCbCr. This sends the signal in video level. You may want to check your display settings for 'limited' or 'video' mode and make sure you do not have it connected to any PC specific input.

Your display may also accept RGB, but you would need to put it into a 'wide' mode or something similar. To start, just make sure you are in video or limited mode.

YCbCr should be able to display 16-235 while the RGB can display 0-255. If you are sending RGB to a 'limited' display, you will have issues with the black level.

Also, some displays will clip whites above 235. This can be disabled with a 'super white' or similar display mode. I have never owned a sony display so I am not sure if it is available to you.

In any case, set to limited, set black level so that 17 and above are flashing, and then work on contrast. Make sure your gamma is not set too low, choose a mode like 'cinema' or movie if available.

Let me know if this helps, or maybe send some screenshots of the display image settings.

Good Luck!
post #909 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked: 3091
Quote:
I could use some help here just got a new set the 2016 Sony XBR43X800D and grabbed a copy of above Spears & Munsil 2 to try and calibrate and right away I'm having some difficulty trying to set up the contrast first setting on the video
I've trying every possible setting and adjustment on the set and BR player and the inside bars are not really visible as you can see in the below picture
Maybe not compatible with the newer sets ?
FWIW, I have the Sony XBR75X940D, and when I bring up the Contrast test screen, I can see the all the numbered white bars up to 252, and I see the dots in the center of the color squares at the bottom of the test screen. As a reference point, I have Brightness set to 35, Contrast to 88, and Black Level at 50.

I am using an Oppo BDP 103 with HDMI output set to Auto.

I don't understand why you are having trouble with the Contrast test screen on SM2.
post #910 of 916 Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
FWIW, I have the Sony XBR75X940D, and when I bring up the Contrast test screen, I can see the all the numbered white bars up to 252, and I see the dots in the center of the color squares at the bottom of the test screen. As a reference point, I have Brightness set to 35, Contrast to 88, and Black Level at 50.

I am using an Oppo BDP 103 with HDMI output set to Auto.

I don't understand why you are having trouble with the Contrast test screen on SM2.
I think the XBR-43X800D is a completely different animal then X940D. The X8000D using some cheap IPS panel I can't see any of the black bars with your settings also
post #911 of 916 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is there a test on the S&M disk that reveals ghosting (2D, not 3D)?
post #912 of 916 Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 234
2D Ghosting? Like blooming from zone based back lighting?

The only ghosting test we have is for 3D. The UHD HDR BD will have some tests for zone based backlighting. Thats a year away though. Hard at work in porting the 8-bit to 10-bit 4:2:0 at the moment. Almost have all of the code ported. Then need to work on some of the new patterns we have planned.

Taking requests at this time.
post #913 of 916 Old Today, 01:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Stacey, a request:

On the Audio/Visual timing patterns, which I hope you will once again include, please use a full-screen flash, rather than top/bottom bars seen on S&M2. When reading reflected light from a projector screen a full-screen flash would help ensure enough light gets to calibration hardware (e.g., Syncheck/Sync One2) devices. With the current S&M2, I sometimes struggle to throw enough light to trigger the hardware, depending on how much my bulb has dimmed at the time of such calibrations.

Also, if possible, please offer various audio codecs (PCM/TrueHD/DTS-Master/DD) as there can be different a/v delays depending on the audio codec used.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #914 of 916 Old Today, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post
2D Ghosting? Like blooming from zone based back lighting?

The only ghosting test we have is for 3D. The UHD HDR BD will have some tests for zone based backlighting. Thats a year away though. Hard at work in porting the 8-bit to 10-bit 4:2:0 at the moment. Almost have all of the code ported. Then need to work on some of the new patterns we have planned.

Taking requests at this time.
In the discussion forum for my display, "ghosting" is used to describe the effect of when a dark object moves quickly across a bright background, leaving a trail of images behind as it moves. Think of a hockey puck moving across the ice, leaving a trail.
post #915 of 916 Old Today, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, I found a pretty good test for the effect I am talking about. It is in the Video Processing section under the Motion tab. While watching the 48PPF Resulution test, I can see some faint "trails" as the burst moves back and forth. The trails are unaffected by any motion control settings on the display (which are normally set to Off). The trails I am seeing are not obvious enough that they would be visible on normal content, so for that I am relieved.
post #916 of 916 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Hi Mark,

Yes, planning on adding an alternate A/V sync pattern for a device designed to measure A/V sync. Thank you for the feedback.

The current AV sync is available in both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD lossless. Planning to also support Atmos and the DTS equivalent on the next disc as well. Have not looked into at this time though, so I don't know what I can and can't do with the Atmos style audio yet.

No plans to support PCM at all. Its such a huge waste of disc space. We wanted to include the Montage in both Dolby and DTS, but we ran out of disc space on a single layer disc, which is why the montage is only in DTS-HD MA. I felt bad as I have always had a good relationship with Meridian and wanted to include TrueHD. Since I had to make a choice, I had to go with DTS since it was the dominate audio format on BD at the time.

Will probably include SDR and HDR A/V sync, in case that matters. Only planning on UHD, but if enough people want it, I could also include 1080p on the AV sync. There will be no interlaced on the next disc, of course, so no inverse telecine test content. There will be scaling patterns at the various resolution.

Will be looking into FALD type of tests. Not sure on it yet.

On the current disc, we use the left eye for 2D. I can't use HDR to make SDR on the next disc. At least for test patterns, its not the right thing to do. Not sure if I can have an SDR/HDR option like I do for 2D/3D or if I need to make it two discs with one SDR and the other HDR. Then for SDR, 709 or 2020 for UHD? I am planning 2020 for SDR, but would like to know what people think for UHD SDR.

There will be other discs out before ours, but we want to try and get it right. Still so much to understand on HDR. Biggie is metadata. Since it is hard coded, I need to figure out what levels I should target. e.g. 1000 nits, 4000 nits, 10,000 nits. Its all so complicated.

I have already started adding a place holder to our pattern generator to sepcify HDR or SDR. This mostly changes the levels. e.g. The image cropping pattern today uses 50% gray for the background and 100% white for the markers. The HDR version will actually use 50 nits for the background and 100 nits for the markers. A lot of basic patterns will be like this. I will use 100 nits in place of 100% for various things.

The SDR window patterns will be equal energy. The HDR window patterns will not be equal energy. They will be 10% area window on a black background. This goes back to the two disc possibility, which can get expensive. Still want to target 29.97 as the price point. Next price would be 59.94. I like to use video frame rates as the price. 23.98 is too cheap. I think 59.94 is too much and 29.97 might not be enough either. Won't know B.O.M. cost until we actually get everything authored.

To give you an idea, we spent just over $30k on authoring alone with the 3D disc. Since I encoded 99% of the disc, that was simply my time. When HD DVD and BD first started, encoding was around $100 a run time minute. That was just encoding. So a 90-minute movie was around $9k just to encode the main feature. I don't know if they charged for segment re-encoding or not. No idea what they charge for UHD encoding or authoring yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition
Gear in this thread