Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #931 of 936 Old 02-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have no idea what happened, but I went back and tried again and I've got 30ftL with OLED Light 87, and (after a few sweeps) dE's lower than one across the board. Maybe the TV just hadn't warmed up fully or something.

Green and blue are clipping horribly though. One solid square on the clipping pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 936 Old Today, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
2D + 3D Patterns will be Included
What does the 2nd edition have that the first doesnt?
post #933 of 936 Old Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle___Empire View Post
3D patterns for starters. The first edition has just visual patterns. 2nd edition has many more visual patterns, audio for AV sync and channel levels, window patterns for grayscale, gamma and gamut.

All of the menus are on our website so you can see the names of the patterns as well as the pop-up help.

The 3rd edition will include UHD and HDR. It is probably mid-2018 at this point. HDR is the biggest hold-up. We will probably have an SDR and HDR disc. It will be in the same package, not two separate products. If HDR did not exist, we would have been on the market last year.

Have spent a lot of time working on image processing algorithms for the montage. Will actually have a heads up display version(s) of the montage so you can see histogram, waveform monitor, vectorscope, color volume and color gamut. Not sure how many will actually care about this stuff. The new montage is being shot as 7680x4320p23.976 and 7680x4320p59.94 for two different montages. Mostly same footage, just different frame rate. Lots of natural wide gamut material. e.g. We just shot some tulips and they are the most saturated things I have ever seen in nature. They almost hit the peak of 2020 red. They are wider gamut than P3.

Here is the HUD mock-up. Everything is copy and pasted. None of the charts are actually real. The WFM and Vector are based on the source frame, but the rest are from other sources. e.g. The outer shell of the color volume here is 4000 nit P3. I will use 10,000 nit 2020. This mock-up is so I can tweak the layout of what I want to show before any code is written. This is for the super video enthusiast. There will be SDR and HDR versions of the HUD. The scale will change from SDR (4-1019) to HDR (0 to 10,000 nits) so that it makes sense. I will probably have 40+ versions of the montage and at least five versions of the HUD.

Top: Histogram, Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope
Bottom: 3D Perceptual Color Volume, Source and 2D CIE Gamut

The color volume will continually rotate during the video. Turns out it really helps to see it rotate. I was hoping I could use static, but not the same visual impact.

2D CIE Gamut - Ignore the embedded thumbnail. That is just for reference. Shot on Red Weapon Vista Vision, 8K HD (Same camera used for Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2). Zeiss Otus 85mm lense.
BT.709

BT.2020

Last edited by sspears; Today at 10:27 AM.

post #934 of 936 Old Today, 10:21 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

The 3rd edition will include UHD and HDR. It is probably mid-2018 at this point. HDR is the biggest hold-up. We will probably have an SDR and HDR disc. It will be in the same package, not two separate products. If HDR did not exist, we would have been on the market last year.

Have spent a lot of time working on image processing algorithms for the montage. Will actually have a heads up display version(s) of the montage so you can see histogram, waveform monitor, vectorscope, color volume and color gamut. Not sure how many will actually care about this stuff. The new montage is being shot as 7680x4320p23.976 and 7680x4320p59.94 for two different montages. Mostly same footage, just different frame rate. Lots of natural wide gamut material. e.g. We just shot some tulips and they are the most saturated things I have ever seen in nature. They almost hit the peak of 2020 red. They are wider gamut than P3.

Here is the HUD mock-up. Everything is copy and pasted here. None of the charts are actually real. This is just so I can tweak the layout of what I want to show.

The color volume will continually rotate during the video. Turns out it really helps to see it rotate. I was hoping I could use static, but not the same visual impact.

2D CIE Gamut - Ignore the embedded thumbnail. That is just for reference. Shot on Red Weapon Vista Vision 8K HD. Zeiss Otus 85mm lense.
Sweet will it have dolby vision as well
post #935 of 936 Old Today, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Sweet will it have dolby vision as well
Plan is to have Dolby Vision montage, not sure about patterns though.

For the montage, here are some of the flavors
SDR 709 100 nit
SDR 2020 100 nit
SDR 2020 200 nit (OLED)
SDR 2020 300 nit (LCD)

HDR 709 4000 nit
HDR 2020 4000 nit
HDR 2020 1000 nit Dolby Vision tone mapping
HDR 2020 1000 nit ColorFront tone mapping
HDR 2020 1000 nit ColorFront alt tone mapping
HDR 2020 100 nit (not sure which tone mapping, maybe all three) This is for HDR projection

I plan to have HD, UHD, 23.976 and 59.94 variants.

I want people to be able to compare tone mapping in their display vs. Dolby and ColorFront's tone mapping. I think this will be the first of its kind to show various tone mapping algorithms on the same piece of content.
post #936 of 936 Old Today, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle___Empire View Post
Hi, here you can see and compare the contents of each edition:

http://www.demo-world.eu/2009/05/06/...ion-benchmark/

http://www.demo-world.eu/2015/10/03/...k-2nd-edition/

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition