Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #961 of 973 Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Member
 
kutzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
So how would you use the blue screen?
Can you display a blue screen and also display the S&M disc at the same time?
It's not a blue screen. It's a mode that kills every other colour than blue within the projector. Everything you show on the screen will look really weird, but it's how you use the "Colour/Tint" adjustment on the disc.
KC-Technerd likes this.

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250/Mission 737R/Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
kutzon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #962 of 973 Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,242
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7569 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Thanks, I have read that, but I still don't understand why the filter can work with some displays even with just 1x filtering when I can't even get it to work with 3x. All it says is

"If they don’t turn absolutely black when you look through the filter, then that filter (or that strength level on the Spears & Munsil filter) will not work with that display."


This is a common problem on many displays and easily addressed. Simply display a 75% White pattern and measure the Luminance. Then display a 75% Red pattern and adjust the Color setting such that the Luminance of the Red pattern is 21% of the White pattern Luminance.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #963 of 973 Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,604
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Thanks, I have read that, but I still don't understand why the filter can work with some displays even with just 1x filtering when I can't even get it to work with 3x. All it says is

"If they don’t turn absolutely black when you look through the filter, then that filter (or that strength level on the Spears & Munsil filter) will not work with that display."
The article also explains that, if the TV has some kind of CMS, you need to turn that off in order for the filters to work. In any case, since you have the Blue-Only mode, that's better than using the filters.

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR Bug List
Dominic Chan is online now  
 
post #964 of 973 Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 9,093
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
So how would you use the blue screen?

Can you display a blue screen and also display the S&M disc at the same time?
deleted




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65C6 OLED
Time Warner Cable/Panasonic UB900/ Roku Premiere +/Sony S780 Soundbar/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
chunon is online now  
post #965 of 973 Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 10,070
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
Stacey,

Do you think the equal energy patterns on ver 2 are OK for a Sony 940E FALD LCD, using new version of Calman with an Oppo 203 for SDR cal?

I know you want to cut local dimming off when calibrating, and most use a full field pattern. Just curious if there would be any difference between full field and equal energy?

Tyler also hooked me up with sideloading the Mobile Forge app onto the Sony, so I am going to try that too.
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #966 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
So how would you use the blue screen?
Can you display a blue screen and also display the S&M disc at the same time?
It's not actually a blue screen. Blue mode turns off the red and green elements of the display, so that only the blue portion of the image will be shown. Red and green portions of the image won't be shown.

This allows adjustment of color by matching the brightness of blue in the blue portion of the test pattern with the brightness of blue in the white portion of the test pattern. Tint is adjusted by matching the brightness of blue in the cyan portion of the pattern with the brightness of blue in the magenta portion. This is not easy to do unless all of the red and green of the image is eliminated.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #967 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
It's not actually a blue screen. Blue mode turns off the red and green elements of the display, so that only the blue portion of the image will be shown. Red and green portions of the image won't be shown.

This allows adjustment of color by matching the brightness of blue in the blue portion of the test pattern with the brightness of blue in the white portion of the test pattern. Tint is adjusted by matching the brightness of blue in the cyan portion of the pattern with the brightness of blue in the magenta portion. This is not easy to do unless all of the red and green of the image is eliminated.
Thanks for the explanation
Since it was first raised I have experimented with the Blue/ Red and Green "Screen" filter in my Epson projector using the S&M disc and found that it seems to work a treat
I was surprised to see how much I had to reduce the projectors 50% saturation default setting to get the image brightness to match
Lesmor is offline  
post #968 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,242
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7569 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Guys, no one ever commented on my post regarding setting the color level. I don't make this stuff up. The guidance come from a respected expert in the field of calibration, and was discussed earlier in this thread.

- Measure luminance of a 75% white test pattern.
- Multiply the luminance value by .21
- Display a 75% red test pattern.
- Adjust the color setting until the luminance of the 75% red test pattern equals the .21 value you calculated earlier.

Has no one tried this?
AustinJerry is online now  
post #969 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,242
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7569 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Here is the link to where I found the method of setting color:

Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS (updated and enhanced)

Tom Huffman is a well-respected expert in the field. Scroll down to the section titled "Setting Color/Tint". The entire post is a great read.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #970 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Guys, no one ever commented on my post regarding setting the color level. I don't make this stuff up. The guidance come from a respected expert in the field of calibration, and was discussed earlier in this thread.

- Measure luminance of a 75% white test pattern.
- Multiply the luminance value by .21
- Display a 75% red test pattern.
- Adjust the color setting until the luminance of the 75% red test pattern equals the .21 value you calculated earlier.

Has no one tried this?
Thanks for the link
I am sure that works fine but I havent tried it because due to cost I don't have any calibration gear
If I did I think I would using something like the ChromaPure i1 Display Pro + software and not the S&M disc
Lesmor is offline  
post #971 of 973 Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,242
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7569 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Thanks for the link
I am sure that works fine but I havent tried it because due to cost I don't have any calibration gear
If I did I think I would using something like the ChromaPure i1 Display Pro + software and not the S&M disc
Sorry, I assumed you had a way to measure luminance. Keep in mind that even if you were to get a colorimeter and software, you still need a source for test patterns. The S&M disk is one of the better sources of test patterns. I use it all the time with CalMAN and a colorimeter.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #972 of 973 Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, I assumed you had a way to measure luminance. Keep in mind that even if you were to get a colorimeter and software, you still need a source for test patterns. The S&M disk is one of the better sources of test patterns. I use it all the time with CalMAN and a colorimeter.
No problem Jerry
Good to know that the S&M is a good source as I probably would have also bought the ChromaPure Calibration Disc
I am still tempted to buy a calibration package but once the job is done it seems a waste to have it sitting idle
Although having a projector as the bulb ages you can repeat the process.

When I get the chance I will have a read of the thread you linked to.
Lesmor is offline  
post #973 of 973 Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,242
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7569 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
No problem Jerry
Good to know that the S&M is a good source as I probably would have also bought the ChromaPure Calibration Disc
I am still tempted to buy a calibration package but once the job is done it seems a waste to have it sitting idle
Although having a projector as the bulb ages you can repeat the process.

When I get the chance I will have a read of the thread you linked to.
I think whether you want to invest in the meter and software depends on how interested you are in getting the best performance out of your equipment, and how much time you are willing to spend. There is no question that a well-calibrated display is a pleasure to watch. You can either pay a professional calibrator for his one-time services, which would likely cost as much as buying a meter and software, or you can do it yourself. The latter approach results in the knowledge of how to calibrate, and allows you to re-calibrate should your projecter's settings "drift", or when you get a new projector down the road. Plus, you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
Lesmor and hydrotex like this.
AustinJerry is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off