Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #961 of 974 Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
So how would you use the blue screen?
Can you display a blue screen and also display the S&M disc at the same time?
It's not a blue screen. It's a mode that kills every other colour than blue within the projector. Everything you show on the screen will look really weird, but it's how you use the "Colour/Tint" adjustment on the disc.
KC-Technerd likes this.

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 974 Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7737 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Thanks, I have read that, but I still don't understand why the filter can work with some displays even with just 1x filtering when I can't even get it to work with 3x. All it says is

"If they don’t turn absolutely black when you look through the filter, then that filter (or that strength level on the Spears & Munsil filter) will not work with that display."

This is a common problem on many displays and easily addressed. Simply display a 75% White pattern and measure the Luminance. Then display a 75% Red pattern and adjust the Color setting such that the Luminance of the Red pattern is 21% of the White pattern Luminance.
post #963 of 974 Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Thanks, I have read that, but I still don't understand why the filter can work with some displays even with just 1x filtering when I can't even get it to work with 3x. All it says is

"If they don’t turn absolutely black when you look through the filter, then that filter (or that strength level on the Spears & Munsil filter) will not work with that display."
The article also explains that, if the TV has some kind of CMS, you need to turn that off in order for the filters to work. In any case, since you have the Blue-Only mode, that's better than using the filters.

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR v3.4.x Bug List

post #964 of 974 Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition

Quote:

deleted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 75XBR940E
Time Warner Cable/Panasonic UB900/ Roku Premiere +/Sony S780 Soundbar/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
post #965 of 974 Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4066
Stacey,

Do you think the equal energy patterns on ver 2 are OK for a Sony 940E FALD LCD, using new version of Calman with an Oppo 203 for SDR cal?

I know you want to cut local dimming off when calibrating, and most use a full field pattern. Just curious if there would be any difference between full field and equal energy?

Tyler also hooked me up with sideloading the Mobile Forge app onto the Sony, so I am going to try that too.
post #966 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
It's not actually a blue screen. Blue mode turns off the red and green elements of the display, so that only the blue portion of the image will be shown. Red and green portions of the image won't be shown.

This allows adjustment of color by matching the brightness of blue in the blue portion of the test pattern with the brightness of blue in the white portion of the test pattern. Tint is adjusted by matching the brightness of blue in the cyan portion of the pattern with the brightness of blue in the magenta portion. This is not easy to do unless all of the red and green of the image is eliminated.
post #967 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
It's not actually a blue screen. Blue mode turns off the red and green elements of the display, so that only the blue portion of the image will be shown. Red and green portions of the image won't be shown.

This allows adjustment of color by matching the brightness of blue in the blue portion of the test pattern with the brightness of blue in the white portion of the test pattern. Tint is adjusted by matching the brightness of blue in the cyan portion of the pattern with the brightness of blue in the magenta portion. This is not easy to do unless all of the red and green of the image is eliminated.
Thanks for the explanation
Since it was first raised I have experimented with the Blue/ Red and Green "Screen" filter in my Epson projector using the S&M disc and found that it seems to work a treat
I was surprised to see how much I had to reduce the projectors 50% saturation default setting to get the image brightness to match
post #968 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Guys, no one ever commented on my post regarding setting the color level. I don't make this stuff up. The guidance come from a respected expert in the field of calibration, and was discussed earlier in this thread.

- Measure luminance of a 75% white test pattern.
- Multiply the luminance value by .21
- Display a 75% red test pattern.
- Adjust the color setting until the luminance of the 75% red test pattern equals the .21 value you calculated earlier.

Has no one tried this?
post #969 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Here is the link to where I found the method of setting color:

Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS (updated and enhanced)

Tom Huffman is a well-respected expert in the field. Scroll down to the section titled "Setting Color/Tint". The entire post is a great read.
post #970 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Guys, no one ever commented on my post regarding setting the color level. I don't make this stuff up. The guidance come from a respected expert in the field of calibration, and was discussed earlier in this thread.

- Measure luminance of a 75% white test pattern.
- Multiply the luminance value by .21
- Display a 75% red test pattern.
- Adjust the color setting until the luminance of the 75% red test pattern equals the .21 value you calculated earlier.

Has no one tried this?
Thanks for the link
I am sure that works fine but I havent tried it because due to cost I don't have any calibration gear
If I did I think I would using something like the ChromaPure i1 Display Pro + software and not the S&M disc
post #971 of 974 Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks for the link
I am sure that works fine but I havent tried it because due to cost I don't have any calibration gear
If I did I think I would using something like the ChromaPure i1 Display Pro + software and not the S&M disc
Sorry, I assumed you had a way to measure luminance. Keep in mind that even if you were to get a colorimeter and software, you still need a source for test patterns. The S&M disk is one of the better sources of test patterns. I use it all the time with CalMAN and a colorimeter.
post #972 of 974 Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, I assumed you had a way to measure luminance. Keep in mind that even if you were to get a colorimeter and software, you still need a source for test patterns. The S&M disk is one of the better sources of test patterns. I use it all the time with CalMAN and a colorimeter.
No problem Jerry
Good to know that the S&M is a good source as I probably would have also bought the ChromaPure Calibration Disc
I am still tempted to buy a calibration package but once the job is done it seems a waste to have it sitting idle
Although having a projector as the bulb ages you can repeat the process.

When I get the chance I will have a read of the thread you linked to.
post #973 of 974 Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
No problem Jerry
Good to know that the S&M is a good source as I probably would have also bought the ChromaPure Calibration Disc
I am still tempted to buy a calibration package but once the job is done it seems a waste to have it sitting idle
Although having a projector as the bulb ages you can repeat the process.

When I get the chance I will have a read of the thread you linked to.
I think whether you want to invest in the meter and software depends on how interested you are in getting the best performance out of your equipment, and how much time you are willing to spend. There is no question that a well-calibrated display is a pleasure to watch. You can either pay a professional calibrator for his one-time services, which would likely cost as much as buying a meter and software, or you can do it yourself. The latter approach results in the knowledge of how to calibrate, and allows you to re-calibrate should your projecter's settings "drift", or when you get a new projector down the road. Plus, you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
Lesmor and hydrotex like this.
post #974 of 974 Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm trying to figure out what banding in the blue ramp means.

I have a Lumagen 2143 processor being fed by a Sony player, on to a JVC projector X30 projector. I'm generally happy with the picture quality in real content; I occasionally think I see the odd bit of banding on computer generated graphics title sequences etc.

The S&M ramps all look fine with the Lumagen in circuit with the Lumagen CMS effectively in bypass.
However, the primaries are "out" on the JVC projector, and I'd like to correct this.

The blue from the projector in particular is much "blue-er" than REC709 - so it looks like it needs green adding to it to bring it back.
As soon as you start adding the green to the blue primary via the Lumagen a repeating banding starts to be introduced to the blue ramps.

Is this kind of thing to be expected due to the construction of this ramp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Spears Munsil , Spears Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu Ray Disc Edition Blu Ray , Spears Munsil Hd Benchmark And Calibration Disc 2nd Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page