Alternative Contrast/Black Level/ Pluge patterns ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any alternative pluge or brightness patterns that can be downloaded or burned besides the flashing bars on the AVSHD disc? Those don't work at all on my 9G Kuro. What about a near black window instead? 1% 2%?

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Any alternative pluge or brightness patterns that can be downloaded or burned besides the flashing bars on the AVSHD disc? Those don't work at all on my 9G Kuro. What about a near black window instead? 1% 2%?
bob

Hello, the AVSHD disk has a set of patterns that are under ColorHFCR which has the Near Black window patterns you are looking for .

Tom Huffman suggests the fallowing

Setting Black Level (Brightness)

The typical method for setting black level is to use a pluge pattern that displays just above and just below black information against a black background. You set brightness so that the just-above-black is barely visible and the just-below-black is invisible. The closer the just-above and just-below information is to video black, the more precise the adjustment.

Here's another method that works well. Put up a 0% field on the display. Turn brightness up several ticks. Now slowly start turning it down one click at a time. At some point you will find that lowering the brightness control further will not make the screen any darker. That is the correct setting.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:

bob

Doesn't work? Check for Video output vs PC. Does it work on other displays? If so there is a problem with your Kuro settings.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Doesn't work? Check for Video output vs PC. Does it work on other displays? If so there is a problem with your Kuro settings.

It works, it's just hard to see the difference in the bars unless I crank the brightness way up or get a few feet away from the screen. I'd prefer to use near black windows but Tom says that's not right?

bob
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

This is much the same issue that afflicts crts. As black level improves the plugged patterns aren't that good, all three plugged bars show at all black level settings. I guess using 0ire pattern, as described in the previous mail, is the best way?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Those don't work at all on my 9G Kuro. What about a near black window instead? 1% 2%?
bob

1% 2% are near black.
What exactly do you think you need?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDor View Post

1% 2% are near black.
What exactly do you think you need?

I need to know what near black pattern should be visible and which one should disappear!

bob
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 502
With a pluge pattern, the black background should not light up above the MLL of the display. The blacker than black bars should not be visible. All above black bars should be visible.

With the AVS pattern, the 16 level bar should not be flashing or changing in intensity. Levels 17 and up should flash/change, though with levels 17-19 you might have to be right up next to the screen to see it.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Tom mentions to focus on 18 instead of black stripe 17, making 18 barely visible .It's not in the bottom quote but he says it would be easir to focus on 18 instead of 17. You can read the posts in the chromapure thread if interested pag 124 i think biggrin.gif

1% above black is more like 18.

8-bit video spans 16-235. That is 219 code values, so there is not a one-to-one relationship between a code value and percent values. 17 is one code value above black, so close in fact that it may be hard to visually distinguish from 16. If you can see 18 but cannot see bars below 16, then that's good. If brightness is set too high, you'll be able to see bars below 16. If it is set too low, 18 will fade into the background and become invisible.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I take a third approach, I raise 16 till I can see it, then drop it till it turns blends, obviously if you don't have BTB to adjust with, then focusing on 17 or 18 is the way to do it.

17's visibility depends alot on the display, but 18 should always be visible with the correct setting.

But the brightness's job is to minimize the black level, if 2 or 5% needs to be brighter, that really is something that should be done with a gamma or multi-point control.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer