Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Glad it went well, I'd be interested in hearing your comparisons between the VT50 and your Sony 950. How do they look when both calibrated ?

Hey, good question ! You know, I just didn't want to clog up this thread by giving out this info here and talking about it, but since you asked biggrin.gif , now I can !

Regardless of what others may want to say about each technology these TV's use (the obvious Plasma vs LCD debates) both these TV's are just great sets out the box. (NOW IMO) Out the box the XBR950 looks a touch more "toony" and razor sharp like (not in a bad way though, its character just leans more that way out the box). Out the box the VT50 looks rather the opposite, and not so much in a good way (IMO) all the presets (Cinema, THX, etc..) either look too dark or too pushed and all with some sort of hazy colored haze over the pictures background (again, IMO), and its a rather "soft" picture. So thats what we're dealing with (just for a little precursor info).

When Robert came over (from the way everyone speaks about the VT50) I/we were expecting the VT50 to of course calibrate way better, easier (due to ISF mode) and then obviously look way better than the XBR950 too. Literally to a point where a few professionals (priorly) pre-warned me to not expect the XBR950 to ever calibrate and look like the VT50, cause it just can't. I could totally understand that, especially from seeing them out the box, and also understanding the 2 different technologies, etc.. So I was expecting that as well, and had accepted it.

Ok (extremely long story short) - lol, after calibration, both sets almost looked identical ! On top of that EVERY aspect I mentioned earlier about the "out of box" impression of both TV's totally went away and they both looked so "correct" and stunningly deep, rich with "pop factor". I was amazed (and others were too) from the XBR950 really. Only because we didn't expect it to look as close to the VT50. Color wise, they were spot on to each other. Other characteristics though were indicative of the sets though, for instance the VT50 has no "bloom" what-so-ever and its viewing angle is just the most excellent I've ever seen. Where-as the XBR950, if you are not looking at it dead center white text over a black background has "bloom" and once your off center, the color representation, contrast, shadowing, etc.. begins to deteriorate and badly.

That said though, and the point to all this, is, after calibration, IF you sat dead center in front of the XBR950, these sets looked ridiculously close to each other. Color, spot on for sure. So much that indeed, we both were very surprised and amazed. The VT50 IMO holds a SLIGHTLY better picture though when there is "hard light" in the background of a scene. It is slight, but the XBR950 makes it look slightly more washed out and the VT50 just holds it perfect to everything else in the foreground. Again, this is slight. And again, it is surprising how awesomely close to the VT50 this XBR950 looks once their both calibrated AND how awesome they both look period, compared to how they looked out of the box.

There actually has been a few scenes I've come across where the XBR950 looks better and presents the scene better than the VT50 even ! But again, they are ridiculously close to each other visually, and even spectrum wise as well from the gear's analysis. So Sony has really done something on this new XBR950 for sure ! The VT50, well man, its a VT50 doing what you expect it to do. The XBR950 is doing beyond what was expected. (if thats a good way to put it ?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
That you for the report Joel.. htwaits should pick this up and link it in the report thread.

Your report is no surprise to me, as I posted, Robert is one of the "Big Guns" in the Industry smile.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #33 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

Called both Ray and Robert... first impressions of both, is Robert is the man.

That said, works my way anyway as Ray will not come this far up for a project as small as mine with no other jobs lined up in the area. So out of the two, I also had to go with Robert.

But I am glad, Robert seems EXTREMELY knowledgeable and experienced. He is running a special now for $450 full calibration. I guess normally it is over $500 !! Pricey in my opinion, but after talking to the guy, it seems he is indeed the best in my area for sure.

I will keep you guys posted on the job and experience I have.
I'll add your calibration report to the lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

I like the fact that you reported on the work of an outstanding calibrator doing his thing on two fine displays. At least they are both fine displays for audiences of one or two who snuggle. wink.gif

If you could combine your two reports into one post and then put in in the owner's thread for each display, that would make it easier for other owners to read it. Let me know if that's possible.

Maybe your thread got off track because the above post doesn't make it clear that you hadn't actually had a conversation with Ray.

Cheers. biggrin.gif
post #34 of 36 Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

Hey, good question ! You know, I just didn't want to clog up this thread by giving out this info here and talking about it, but since you asked biggrin.gif , now I can !

Regardless of what others may want to say about each technology these TV's use (the obvious Plasma vs LCD debates) both these TV's are just great sets out the box. (NOW IMO) Out the box the XBR950 looks a touch more "toony" and razor sharp like (not in a bad way though, its character just leans more that way out the box). Out the box the VT50 looks rather the opposite, and not so much in a good way (IMO) all the presets (Cinema, THX, etc..) either look too dark or too pushed and all with some sort of hazy colored haze over the pictures background (again, IMO), and its a rather "soft" picture. So thats what we're dealing with (just for a little precursor info).

When Robert came over (from the way everyone speaks about the VT50) I/we were expecting the VT50 to of course calibrate way better, easier (due to ISF mode) and then obviously look way better than the XBR950 too. Literally to a point where a few professionals (priorly) pre-warned me to not expect the XBR950 to ever calibrate and look like the VT50, cause it just can't. I could totally understand that, especially from seeing them out the box, and also understanding the 2 different technologies, etc.. So I was expecting that as well, and had accepted it.

Ok (extremely long story short) - lol, after calibration, both sets almost looked identical ! On top of that EVERY aspect I mentioned earlier about the "out of box" impression of both TV's totally went away and they both looked so "correct" and stunningly deep, rich with "pop factor". I was amazed (and others were too) from the XBR950 really. Only because we didn't expect it to look as close to the VT50. Color wise, they were spot on to each other. Other characteristics though were indicative of the sets though, for instance the VT50 has no "bloom" what-so-ever and its viewing angle is just the most excellent I've ever seen. Where-as the XBR950, if you are not looking at it dead center white text over a black background has "bloom" and once your off center, the color representation, contrast, shadowing, etc.. begins to deteriorate and badly.

That said though, and the point to all this, is, after calibration, IF you sat dead center in front of the XBR950, these sets looked ridiculously close to each other. Color, spot on for sure. So much that indeed, we both were very surprised and amazed. The VT50 IMO holds a SLIGHTLY better picture though when there is "hard light" in the background of a scene. It is slight, but the XBR950 makes it look slightly more washed out and the VT50 just holds it perfect to everything else in the foreground. Again, this is slight. And again, it is surprising how awesomely close to the VT50 this XBR950 looks once their both calibrated AND how awesome they both look period, compared to how they looked out of the box.

There actually has been a few scenes I've come across where the XBR950 looks better and presents the scene better than the VT50 even ! But again, they are ridiculously close to each other visually, and even spectrum wise as well from the gear's analysis. So Sony has really done something on this new XBR950 for sure ! The VT50, well man, its a VT50 doing what you expect it to do. The XBR950 is doing beyond what was expected. (if thats a good way to put it ?)

Great observations Joel, was wondering how they would stack up have read good things about the 950 and obviously the VT50 as well. I love Sony's video processing etc very very good imo What a luxury to have two flagships to compare smile.gif Appreciate you sharing that with us and I am sure Robert is getting the absolute max out of them.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #35 of 36 Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I'll add your calibration report to the lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

I like the fact that you reported on the work of an outstanding calibrator doing his thing on two fine displays. At least they are both fine displays for audiences of one or two who snuggle. wink.gif

If you could combine your two reports into one post and then put in in the owner's thread for each display, that would make it easier for other owners to read it. Let me know if that's possible.

Maybe your thread got off track because the above post doesn't make it clear that you hadn't actually had a conversation with Ray.

Cheers. biggrin.gif

Sure, sounds good htwaits. I will combine the posts asap and get them in the 2 appropriate threads. Just want to make sure the 2 "combined" posts you want are the one of my report back after the calibration was done on Robert's job himself, then the latest one when I answered chunon's question right ? Those two ? Or did you mean another two ?

And, yea you are probably correct about that statement of why the thread maybe got off track. When typing that particular post, I was so excited I had scheduled a calibration date, that I was in too much of a hurry to be as detailed in my descriptions as I usually am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Great observations Joel, was wondering how they would stack up have read good things about the 950 and obviously the VT50 as well. I love Sony's video processing etc very very good imo What a luxury to have two flagships to compare smile.gif Appreciate you sharing that with us and I am sure Robert is getting the absolute max out of them.
Definitely love sharing any information, observations, or opinions I have. If you have any other questions, just ask !
post #36 of 36 Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Cheers. biggrin.gif

Sure, sounds good htwaits. I will combine the posts asap and get them in the 2 appropriate threads. Just want to make sure the 2 "combined" posts you want are the one of my report back after the calibration was done on Robert's job himself, then the latest one when I answered chunon's question right ? Those two ?
Yes, those are the two posts.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page