Best Calibration Techs In My Area ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any suggestions on the most renowned, best, most respected Calibration Techs in the San Francisco, bay area ? Cost is of no concern, just want the absolute best.

Will be using the tech for 2 jobs. One job will be for a Sony XBR950 LED LCD TV which unfortunately has no ISFccc (but heard it has a elaborate inner service menu for this), and the other will be for a Panasonic VT50 which does have ISFccc. So I would like the tech to be known for well rounded services. Or if it is wiser to get 2 different techs, one specializing in each service, then I am fine with that too. Hence, this question.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you can talk Ray into driving up you will be very happy!
http://socalht.com/
post #3 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Check out Robert Busch of Busch Home Theater is based in the Bay area..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Will look into both these leads. Keep you posted.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Called both Ray and Robert... first impressions of both, is Robert is the man.

That said, works my way anyway as Ray will not come this far up for a project as small as mine with no other jobs lined up in the area. So out of the two, I also had to go with Robert.

But I am glad, Robert seems EXTREMELY knowledgeable and experienced. He is running a special now for $450 full calibration. I guess normally it is over $500 !! Pricey in my opinion, but after talking to the guy, it seems he is indeed the best in my area for sure.

I will keep you guys posted on the job and experience I have.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Is it really necessary to slam one ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Wow, hope Robert doesn't read your post, if I were him I wouldn't take the job. A rather rude and uncalled for post... might have been the conversation that prompted Ray to bow out..
post #8 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Is it really necessary to slam one ?
Not quite sure I understand you ? "Slam one" ? I surely hope you do not think telling my experience and impressions of a business and person's knowledge is some sort of a "slam". If that is the case, my god man, how can anyone share experiences and give sound advice on their opinions on who they think is the route to go for others following the same path in the same area, etc.. ?

Jesus, if you think what I wrote is a slam, you must be overly sensitive. You should hear me actually "slam" someone. LOL eek.gif

How is saying what I said a "slam" at all ? Seriously, I really need to understand this. The day people can't share the impression they get from 2 other people with others without calling the lack of favoring both equally a "slam" to one, is a very sad day in our progress as a people to help each other.
post #9 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Wow, hope Robert doesn't read your post, if I were him I wouldn't take the job. A rather rude and uncalled for post... might have been the conversation that prompted Ray to bow out..

Are you SERIOUS ??? I am laughing my azz off right now reading this from you guys... Can you PLEASE quote me from my post of what you think is even REMOTELY rude to any person place or thing ?

Are you sure you both are reading my post correctly ? What are you talking about ?

I'm also willing to come here, write my experiences FOR YOU GUYS to share with everyone. This is how we all help each other. I am serious dumbfounded by these last 2 responses. I am at a lack of seeing or understanding how when one person says... "Hey from first impression, I like this better than that, and good news, it worked best for everyone cause the one I liked better is the only one that can do the work anyway" -- HOW in the world is this rude, or slamming anyone ?

I run a professional audio business... recording studio... And I EXPECT people to interview my place, me, etc... and then say similar things on forums, to friends, whatever.. EVEN if I was not the one they chose, its normal. I would not consider myself slammed or rude.

I could give you examples of rude and slammed, and believe me, it is not that.

Not take my job ????? What ????? Are you serious... could you please elaborate on WHY... What in my above statement would make Robert of all people (the one I was praising) not come and do the job we have scheduled ?

Ray to bow out ??? This post wasn't even here then, PLUS he wouldn't even care, cause he's a man.

I'm linking Robert to this post now, as I'm sure he'll get a chuckle out of this. You guys are weird man, for real... what do you do when a girlfriend breaks up with you ? Cry all day ?? Jesus... Man up !!

I did not say ONE rude thing in my post, I was only trying to help and share information to help. But I guess one sharing his opinions now a days is misconstrued into some sort of a terrorist threat or something ?? Ha ha ! Wow , you guys are too much.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Carry on by all means then

Im sure ray is beside himself

Darbee DVP5000
post #11 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

$450 is in line with fees for proper calibration in general for California.. The Bay area is generally not considered local to the greater LA area and I doubt many would travel so far for just one job (unless other reasons for the travel)..

One thing that many may not know, Robert is one of the Big Gun Veterans in the Industry, one of the few West Coast based Calibrators that actually have the people behind productions of all levels as clients.. names you do know I can assure you... There are a few others, like David Evans (who goes to CA a lot), David Abrams, Helmut etc. with these clients. I recently heard about one of these guy's last client, in SoCal... what a setup. I don't think Joel's post was disrespectful or what he was trying to do, perhaps the title could have been worded differently....

One of these Calibrator's client has this though

Another one's client's past creation

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #12 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

One of these Calibrator's client has this though

Cool. A green house in which you can follow the sun. But is it calibrated????? wink.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #13 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It's just amazing what some of these clients have for their displays (also how many and where)....

but, they are have their displays calibrated by many of the same tools and same standards we all know...

Actually Buzz, I hear you have a good one job coming up... looking forward to your report/feedback.. wink.gif

ControlCAL™

post #14 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

$450 is in line with fees for proper calibration in general for California.. The Bay area is generally not considered local to the greater LA area and I doubt many would travel so far for just one job (unless other reasons for the travel)..

One thing that many may not know, Robert is one of the Big Gun Veterans in the Industry, one of the few West Coast based Calibrators that actually have the people behind productions of all levels as clients.. names you do know I can assure you... There are a few others, like David Evans (who goes to CA a lot), David Abrams, Helmut etc. with these clients. I recently heard about one of these guy's last client, in SoCal... what a setup. I don't think Joel's post was disrespectful or what he was trying to do, perhaps the title could have been worded differently....

Thanks turbe.

Yea, thats what I got from talking to Robert on the phone. Absolutely excellent man in every way possible. I was floored by his knowledge, expertise, and yes as you said client list. I just felt it would be rude to have dropped all that info right, so I just nonchalantly said "out of the two, Robert's the man". Simple, and direct, not rude... I really don't understand what the problem is with a statement like that.

Wow, that 18 wheeler looks amazing ! Is that just tinted glass ? Or possibly solar panels too ?
post #15 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelxD View Post

That said, works my way anyway as Ray will not come this far up for a project as small as mine with no other jobs lined up in the area. So out of the two, I also had to go with Robert.
But I am glad, Robert seems EXTREMELY knowledgeable and experienced. He is running a special now for $450 full calibration. I guess normally it is over $500 !! Pricey in my opinion, but after talking to the guy, it seems he is indeed the best in my area for sure.

Hhhmm?
I would not mind the SLAM ...If I actually was called.. and told him that.

RayJr
post #16 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The plot thickens

Darbee DVP5000
post #17 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Quote:

Hhhmm?
I would not mind the SLAM ...If I actually was called.. and told him that.

RayJr

Ha ! Yea considering, WHAT "slam" ? lol -- Thanks for understanding the real language there.

Ray, I was the guy from San Francisco that called around 2 days before or after Christmas (roughly, can't remember).... Called the 818 number from the site, no answer, left message. Message was something pertaining to my story that you can read in post 1 of this thread... guy from S.F., looking to get 2 TV's calibrated, said the names of the TV's and said as I understood the trek would be a far one for the job, please call me back if your interested in or could do it.

Never heard back, so took it as (what I was figuring anyway, cause it IS too far - lol) you did not want to take on the job - which FYI I totally understand cause of such a long trek for such a petty job as mine.

Anyway, I took it as another sign from the universe that Robert called me back, and when we got to talking I just really felt "at home". So IMO he at that moment became "my man for the job" = "Da Man", as I indicated. I hope you understand :-) - No where did I indicate you were NOT the man. Nor did I indicate your talents were not that of Robert's. I simply stated, between the two, (between the lines should be "due to circumstances and for me in particular") Robert's the man.
post #18 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol nice tap dancing

Darbee DVP5000
post #19 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

Ha ! Yea considering, WHAT "slam" ? lol -- Thanks for understanding the real language there.
Ray, I was the guy from San Francisco that called around 2 days before or after Christmas (roughly, can't remember).... Called the 818 number from the site, no answer, left message. Message was something pertaining to my story that you can read in post 1 of this thread... guy from S.F., looking to get 2 TV's calibrated, said the names of the TV's and said as I understood the trek would be a far one for the job, please call me back if your interested in or could do it.
Never heard back, so took it as (what I was figuring anyway, cause it IS too far - lol) you did not want to take on the job - which FYI I totally understand cause of such a long trek for such a petty job as mine.
Anyway, I took it as another sign from the universe that Robert called me back, and when we got to talking I just really felt "at home". So IMO he at that moment became "my man for the job" = "Da Man", as I indicated. I hope you understand :-) - No where did I indicate you were NOT the man. Nor did I indicate your talents were not that of Robert's. I simply stated, between the two, (between the lines should be "due to circumstances and for me in particular") Robert's the man.

OK.....

According to my google voice account that the 818 number is....I have no voice mails or missed calls from the bay area for at least the last 2 months...guess I have to look into that.

RayJr
post #20 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Quote:

OK.....

According to my google voice account that the 818 number is....I have no voice mails or missed calls from the bay area for at least the last 2 months...guess I have to look into that.

RayJr

Hmmm , yea strange, let me call it now to make sure what is going on here... No message for sure ? I am positive I left one. I'll call the number I called right now.
post #21 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just spoke with Joel......no hard feelings.
Lets move on smile.gif

RayJr
post #22 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, just got off a long enjoyable (and informative) phone conversation with Ray. Seeing eye to eye on what happened here, we think this discussion's current direction is done. Both happy here.

To get back on original thread's track, just to help the community and any future related questions or situations like mine, I would like to keep everyone posted on the outcome of these 2 TV's being calibrated and stuff.
post #23 of 36 Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you guys got connected my apologies

Darbee DVP5000
post #24 of 36 Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, just want to report that Robert came out today as planned and we got both TV's done (at separate locations btw).

I am very satisfied with the work done. Couldn't be happier. He was right on time as scheduled and was extremely knowledgeable with his work and the way he executed it as well. His equipment was top notch and seemed very well maintained (up to date and serviced, etc..) at that. His knowledge of both TV's (and our BDP's) was superb.

From this experience and from the outcome I can honestly say I would highly recommend Robert Busch to anyone in the Bay Area looking for professional Calibration.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Glad you guys got connected my apologies

Thanks Chunon, and honestly, no apologies needed. Due to how quick I replied to them first replies (from airscapes and you) I admit I was being a touch defensive. I should have replied a day later - lol - Forum etiquette is tough and hard to understand where things go wrong, or misinterpreted, etc.. , I never seem to have this problem when speaking in real life - ha ha.

No harm, no foul.... I wish the best to everyone reading this and hope it supplies some help to anyone in the future looking for Calibration.

Thanks to you all for the help !smile.gif
post #26 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Chunon, and honestly, no apologies needed. Due to how quick I replied to them first replies (from airscapes and you) I admit I was being a touch defensive. I should have replied a day later - lol - Forum etiquette is tough and hard to understand where things go wrong, or misinterpreted, etc.. , I never seem to have this problem when speaking in real life - ha ha.
No harm, no foul.... I wish the best to everyone reading this and hope it supplies some help to anyone in the future looking for Calibration.
Thanks to you all for the help !smile.gif

Glad it went well, I'd be interested in hearing your comparisons between the VT50 and your Sony 950. How do they look when both calibrated ?

Darbee DVP5000
post #27 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Can someone recommend someone in the NYC Area?
post #28 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayito View Post

Can someone recommend someone in the NYC Area?

Greetings,

Check out:

Kevin Miller, (Local) Gregg Loewen, Jeff Meier, Chad Billhimer, D-Nice, Ed Johnson, Ken Whitcomb, Chris Eberle .

ControlCAL™

post #29 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

post #30 of 36 Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 10
Cool!!! Many thanks!!!!
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page