Anyone has a hdtv that can achieve rec709 color space in terms of calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*title
Does anyone have or know a hdtv that can achieve near perfect rec709 accuracy after calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclaw174 View Post

*title
Does anyone have or know a hdtv that can achieve near perfect rec709 accuracy after calibration.

Every tv is different, even within the same model line, so there really isn't a particular model that can achieve what you want. It all depends on the tv and the calibrator.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

so no hdtv is specifically design to be close to rec709 standards, i refuse to believe that it is impossible to reach a perfect gamut on current hdtvs
post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 242
All current tv's (well, at least most) have the capability of achieving rec.709 standards but it depends on the amount of user controls available, panel type, etc. No mfr, to my knowledge, specifically states that their tv's will meet rec.709 standards out of the box. Source is a big factor. Nothing is perfect and if that's what you are looking for, you have long search ahead. A professional calibration may help.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks, so can anyone recomend mea tv with a lot of controls for calibration. Is there one with deeper controls than the Samsung models, I couldn't for the life of me get green to the levels i wanted, they always were oversatturated in the colo gamut, resulting in neon greens.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclaw174 View Post

ok thanks, so can anyone recomend mea tv with a lot of controls for calibration. Is there one with deeper controls than the Samsung models, I couldn't for the life of me get green to the levels i wanted, they always were oversatturated in the colo gamut, resulting in neon greens.

FWIW, buying a TV with the most controls for calibration won't necessarily result in the best color or best overall image quality. For example, you can make lots of adjustments on all of LG's TVs, but the color after calibration might still be worse than on other TVs with fewer controls. Katzmaier noted that in his review of the LG LM7600, saying that color appeared worse on that TV than on others (like the Panasonic ST50) that provide much less control over the image. LG's flagship plasma was given low marks for color accuracy in the 2012 HDTV Shootout. My own LG plasma has "inconsistent" red hue; it is green-ish at 100% saturation and blue-ish at 75%. The TV has a CMS, but it won't correct a problem like that -- all I can do is compromise, making the inaccuracy about even at both points. There are all kinds of similar problems that you may see while calibrating a TV, some of which may not even be measurable; the color may look better or worse to you than it actually measures. I'm not sure which Samsung TV you have, but I believe that Samsung's newest TVs (both plasma and LCD) have the reputation of being some of the most color accurate TVs available. The VT50 also has an excellent reputation for color accuracy, and it has more calibration controls than the cheaper Panasonic models.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
There are TVs "that can achieve near perfect rec709 accuracy after calibration." Here is one example from zoyd. It is for a PN51D8000. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread#post_20405730

Here is his gamut:

as shown in the referenced post.

Larry
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page