Can someone lend me their Chromapure with auto calibrate? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Tom. After 30 hours of playing around with this thing I think i am finally starting to grasp the concept and understand that you can manually adjust gamma and red blue and green (greyscale) at each ire from 10 to 100 on the duo. So even if the auto cal is not able to nail it you can fine tune via manual adjustments whilst tracking progress with chromapure.

The auto cal is not a one hit button to solve all problems. What the auto cal represents is a good tutorial to introduce a newbie to the concept of display calibration and the three critical elements.

Thanks to kelvin and Geof. I would have given up if it wasn't for their detailed input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No problem...there were plenty of people who took the time to help me out when I was learning. Plus plenty like Tom, who help me now when I have questions as you never really stop learning. smile.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #63 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

No problem...there were plenty of people who took the time to help me out when I was learning. Plus plenty like Tom, who help me now when I have questions as you never really stop learning. smile.gif
Ditto here.....altho my contribution was not nearly as significant as Kelvins....

Geof
post #64 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just did not realise that there was so much science and art involved. A few months ago I was happy just to watch a movie but now I am dabbling with gamma, greyscale etc.

I just did not realise how bad my display was until you run it through a program like chromapure or a similar program. You really won't know any difference until you discover that color intensity and gamma do not increase in a linear fashion when ire increases. It is a difficult concept to grasp until you run through a process like autocal.

I now understand the beauty of a separate CMs unit and the flexibility and adjustability it brings to the table.

The really weird thing was autocal ran brilliantly the first 2 times I ran it. I was never able to repeat a flat gamma curve of 2.22, consistent greyscale and color gamut despite running auto cal 20 times after that. It was a relief to find out that I could fine tune anything in the dvdo duo even if autocal does not get it spot on.
post #65 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
It's both a blessing and a curse though:

A blessing because you can get your own display looking it's best.

A curse because you get used to it and when you visit friends, family or even hotels, then the badly adjusted displays can be annoying to look at. (I usually end up adjusting hotel TVs if I'm staying long enough to watch more than just the news, though I draw the line at actually calibrating them biggrin.gif )

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #66 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

A curse because you get used to it and when you visit friends, family or even hotels, then the badly adjusted displays can be annoying to look at. (I usually end up adjusting hotel TVs if I'm staying long enough to watch more than just the news, though I draw the line at actually calibrating them biggrin.gif )
That's funny...I could imagine the look on the maids face as she enters the room while you have calibration gear on the TV and are sitting there adjusting it with the room lights out.... eek.gifsmile.gif

I can live with an uncalibrated display on smaller screens but I think periodic calibration is essential for projectors (JVC's at least). Getting grayscale and gamma correct makes a tremendous improvement to image quality and periodic calibrations are required to maintain good PQ.

Geof
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page