Using a Mac or PC as a pattern source over HDMI to calibrate an HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm attempting to calibrate an HDTV's greyscale, colour and tint using HCFR Colormeter with a compatible colorimeter, the AVS HD 709 patterns in MP4 format and this guide. I have two computers with HDMI outputs, one running Windows 7 Pro, the other running OS X Mountain Lion.

My initial thought is to use one of the computers to send the MP4 patterns to the HDTV over HDMI. However, I'm concerned that the operating systems on the computers will apply a colour profile to the video output and thereby corrupt the colours of the MP4 patterns. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a genuine concern in the case of either OS and, if so, advise me of a workaround?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 413
For PC - http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=795&Action=Support&SoftwareID=546

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Also - http://www.lightillusion.com/lighttools.html#spacematch

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Whilst I appreciate the quickness of the response, the lack of accompanying explanatory commentary in your replies leaves me a little short of information. Let me try to clarify:

1) Calibration (LUT) Tester seems to focus purely on gamma. Whilst this may be valuable in terms of performing the greyscale calibration, I'm at a loss to understand its value as regards the colour and tint calibration. Would you be able to explain its utility in this scenario?

2) Spacematch DCM doesn't actually appear to be relevant to my needs, considering all I aim to do is transmit unmodified patterns to a connected TV. It also costs a considerable amount, and is as a result well out of my price range, not to mention being overkill for domestic use.

I confess I'd be much happier if someone would simply tell me whether Windows 7 uses colour profiles by default when sending video data to an external display and, if so, how I can disable it. On the other hand, I know OS X uses colour profiles by default and I don't think there's any way of disabling it: can someone prove me wrong or offer a workaround?

D.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
ICC profiles don't apply to video streams on windows.

There is a graphics card LUT, which you can't really check anywhere, but as long as you haven't run any kind of calibration software on the PC, it is likely a passthrough (output value = input value).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Sotti,

Thanks for that info. Just to be sure, I followed the advice here: To enable or disable calibration loading by Windows.

Now all I have to do is find a way to fix the Dynamic Contrast on my TV, which seems to be applied regardless of whether or not it's activated in the Settings. :-)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page