How do I know if my calibration is good for my DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I calibrated my TV using the AVSHD blu-ray through my PS3. I use all the same settings for HDTV from Time Warner which comes through my DVR/cable box. I'm wondering how accurate these are? I notice a LOT of inconsistency between HD channels. Some look spectacular, and others just look meh. It would be nice if Time Warner would have an HD test pattern on one of their channels, so at least I could make sure basic things like color, contrast and brightness are reasonable, but I've yet to find one.

So, do I just calibrate my TV with my blu-ray and trust that those settings are good enough for the cable box?confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
i have time warner also and had a pro cal same experience with channel inconsistency not much you can do really

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
There was a channel that broadcast a color bar target periodically but it was a complete waste of time. All it did was calibrate you to that channel... none of the other channels matched exactly (some may have been close, others not so much). Furthermore, every PROGRAM is different so even if you calibrate to one channel, every time they change programs, you might need some fine tuning. So what's the point?

Furthermore, digital video has more or less eliminated variations... the cable box would have to intelligently process the video to CHANGE it. The video data is 1s and 0s that can't be "good" or "bad" they can only be 1 or 0. There is no 1.0007 or .0098... you have either nothing (loss of video) or a combination of 1s and 0s. If the combination of 1s and 0s is not precise, you also lose the video completely since the ORDER of the 1s and 0s has to be very precise.... move them just one "slot" forward or back (in time) and you're likely to lose video altogether. All the box does is transmit the 1s and 0s that it receives from Velocity, CNN, or ABC. The only processing the box does is perhaps to convert 480 to 1080 or 720 to 1080, etc. and that might be messed up... but if your box sends whatever it receives, there's really no point in "calibrating the box" that's just an old concept from the analog video days that really no longer applies. Bottom line... you have 200+ channels running 2000+ shows every day and all of them are just a little different from each other. You can't stop it and you can't compensate for it.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

all of them are just a little different from each other. You can't stop it and you can't compensate for it.

Even the same content can be different as they switch from camera to camera. Fox News uses as many as 4 cameras for their studio programs and two of them aren't even close. The bottom line is that for TV programs, calibrate the display, because the programs themselves are a crapshoot.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've found turning up red balances things a bit but harms colors some.When I adjusted colors for a higher than 6500 k number I would get greens in the dark parts of screen on some shows.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so at least I'm not crazy:cool:...just really anal, I guess, haha. Almost all the HD channels look good in terms of sharpness and resolution, but color seems to vary and picture quality changes. I've also noticed that sometimes on a channel where the PQ is just so-so, a commercial will come on and look spectacular. It seems that a lot of the times, the commercials actually look better than the program I'm watching.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

OK, so at least I'm not crazy:cool:...just really anal, I guess, haha. Almost all the HD channels look good in terms of sharpness and resolution, but color seems to vary and picture quality changes. I've also noticed that sometimes on a channel where the PQ is just so-so, a commercial will come on and look spectacular. It seems that a lot of the times, the commercials actually look better than the program I'm watching.

Sounds like it is time to upgrade your provider! wink.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

You'll learn to live with it honestly, I see the exact same thing.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post