Battle of the auto-calibration software: Calman or Chromapure? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi guys, does anyone out there have any insight about whether Calman or Chromapure auto-calibration is better/worse? Easier? More accurate?

FWIW, I'm considering getting a i1 Display Pro and a Lumagen Mini-3D, but don't know which software will work better to calibrate in my (near-) bat cave. Currently I don't own any calibration software / hardware so I'm starting from scratch.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post

Hi guys, does anyone out there have any insight about whether Calman or Chromapure auto-calibration is better/worse? Easier? More accurate?
FWIW, I'm considering getting a i1 Display Pro and a Lumagen Mini-3D, but don't know which software will work better to calibrate in my (near-) bat cave. Currently I don't own any calibration software / hardware so I'm starting from scratch.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Some folks have both apps. I have ChromaPure and it works nicely.

Just another blank signature.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think you're just going to get replies from owners who say theirs is the best, then possibly some posts from those with a vested interest. wink.gif Worse still you might even get replies from those who appear to be just ordinary forum members, but who might not have paid for their software. wink.gifrolleyes.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have calman and have only used the autocal with the PC client to do my monitor. Rearguards of which software you buy, neither is push a button and have perfection. The display needs to be calibrated first (or should be), and if your display is not supported by the software autocal, you will have to do it manually. So if you are only planning on using the autocal feature on your video processor, you may not get the outcome you think you will. When you look at the cost of display, processor, meter etc... the license cost of the software is the least expensive. If you don't like the first choice, buy the other.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised there are very few comments regarding this as many people are interested in the real pros and cons for each software package (I certainly am as well)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

The pros and cons of the software have little to do with their auto calibration capability.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings
The pros and cons of the software have little to do with their auto calibration capability.
regards

Assuming that one is purchasing a Disply Pro colrimeter and a Lumagen Radiance mini (to use with either package) what capabilities should one consider when making a decision regarding the use of auto calibration?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
To the OP, if you're planning to buy an i1 Display Pro and ChromaPure, make sure you get the OEM version of the i1 Display Pro. ChromaPure does NOT work with the retail version.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpconrad View Post

Assuming that one is purchasing a Disply Pro colrimeter and a Lumagen Radiance mini (to use with either package) what capabilities should one consider when making a decision regarding the use of auto calibration?
Thanks

Things to look at would be the flexibility of the calibration. Does the software support just rec.709, or does it also support SMPTE-C for rec.601 content or Pal for european SD content.
Selectable gamma is another feature you can compare, CalMAN supports power function with any exponent and also a black level offset. It also has though support for the new BT.1886 standard.

Speed would be another vector to compare performance on. With CalMAN we typically see about 2.5 reads per point on average so depending on your hardware we finish a 125 point cube in around 20 minutes. We also allow you to set your own dE threshold, so if you want it to take longer but produce tighter results (withing the capability of the display) you can do that as well.

So you're big three features for automated calibration products would be Flexibility, Accuracy and Speed. I am fairly confident CalMAN leads in all three, but then again it's my job to try and make sure that it does.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just for balance Chromapure allows the selection of dE, gamma options include BT 1886. Also the choice of rec709/ SMPTE-C.

Last time I ran my autocal with Chromapure it took a similar time do as well.

IMVHO I think the tolerances on our budget meters and our amateur setting up (pre calibration, meter positioning and chosing starting presets and general user error) are probably more of a factor.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I can only say that I am quite pleased with my CalMAN package. I bought the license, a Mini 3D and a C6 from SpectraCal for quite a nice bundle price. It's worth it to check out bundled deals from either company.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM

How accurate is auto-calibration and is it reliable?

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Well with Chromapure autocal seems as accurate as my meter allows: I've manually checked points afterwards and not found any room for improvement. The only thing I could adjust was very low level gamma, but this is to taste as it was on target and I prefer to have a slightly lower gamma at the very bottom %. However, I could select BT 1886 if I wanted as this gives a similar effect at low %.

In terms of being reliable (repeatable?) there is still some input required by the operator so consistent positioning of the meter and making the initial basic adjustments to the display first before starting are necessary: Brightness, contrast and 100% white balance need to be set manually in the display first, plus selecting a colour setting (gamut) that is slightly oversaturated to allow the VP to 'pull in' the colours to accuracy. So some understanding of calibration is required, you can't just buy the software and click 'go'. wink.gif

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM

I've only performed five separate calibrations since I got my equipment. Each successive attempt improved upon the previous result. I'm enjoying learning manual calibration but wondered about comparing my results with auto calibration. I haven't yet figured out how to get my laptop and projector to talk so auto-cal will have to wait. Meanwhile, I am learning calibration from the master, Michael Chen, via his new video series. cool.gif

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.