Setting contrast with a meter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I set the contrast for my GT50 with a meter, rather than using a clipping pattern. I want to hit around 33-35 fL for night viewing and 40-45 fL for day viewing. The calibration guide for dummies leads me to using 10% APL windows and bringing up the 100% white one to take a measurement. These are the same windows I use when adjusting greyscale.

Is this the correct method or should I be using a different window/pattern to get the correct reading?

I am upgrading my meter in a month or two and I am eager to see how far off my fL readings are. I have no way of verifying this yet, but my gut feeling is that my contrast setting may be 2-4 ticks higher than it should be in order to actually hit my target. So while my reading says 35 fL, I wonder if I am truly at about 38 fL or so. At the very least, I can improve my methods before I upgrade the meter!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The target is between 30 and 40. If you find the result starting with 38 is more pleasing to the eye, then go with it. Charts are important but your eyes are the final decider.

The method you use is right I think, measure ftl using the same pattern you use for the rest of your measurements.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree, however when you have a contrast setting you are happy with, just ensure your display dont clip using a clip pattern if it dont clip wel happy days, if it does you need to figure out if a high light output, or a pure white is more important for you.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

Liked: 15
I just went through this with my TV. From what I've read, you want to use the lowest backlight setting you can, while still attaining between 30-ft ftL at 100% white. You also want the highest contrast setting that doesn't clip whites or colors, and watch out for discoloration as you turn up the contrast.

In a dim room, I've found that I like about 30 ftL. I was able to achieve this with contrast at 98 and backlight at 4. My only problem is that at that contrast setting, I begin to run out of red, but it doesn't happen until over 235 (up in the above white range). If I look at the white level pattern with the flashing bars in AVSHD, some of the higher bars look pinkish. I've been told this is really an optical illusion because the background on this pattern is actually above white (255). So my eyes "see" the above white as white, even though it's too blue, and the other bars look pinkish. I guess ideally, you don't want any discoloration, but I'm not too concerned since it's above 235. If I lower contrast, I'd have to raise the backlight, which would hurt black levels. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that a lot of time, you have to compromise.

Anyway, it sounds like your methodology is correct. smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thank you everyone!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 AM

Liked: 16
by lowering the backlight to much you might introduce other problems, one I have seen befor was my colors was not tracking nicely anymore (by colors I'm not talking Greyscale but inside the Gamut).
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 10
I do the same, but I still check so I dont have any clipping.
I try to compromise it, and that I do with the hole thing so.

Like on my TV, If I set the Brightness at 55 I have the perfect black, but my gamma is not good and my greyscale is not good either.
If I lower the Brightness to 53 I got good Gamma and good Delta over the greyscale.

And if I go with 53 the picture looks much better over all.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page