Has anyone used cheap colour calibration devices from Kodak on eBay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed the some sellers on eBay sell these calibration devices from Kodak and another unnamed company. They seem to sell quite a few.
They state the device comes without any software.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KODAK-MONITOR-COLOUR-CALIBRATION-DEVICES-020151281-/270617941063

I was wondering if anyone has used these devices and with what software?

I want to calibrate my computer LED backlit display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 206
"...with what software" is the real issue here. There are two problems you'd have:

#1 - the sale of the hardware in that listing does NOT include driver software. A quick check on the Kodak web site does not show a software driver for a device like that, however, if that was a Kodak Professional product (rather than a consumer product), there is a separate web site for those products. So you may or may not be able to find the driver software. Without the driver software, it's a useless product. You also don't know what platform supported the hardware device... PC/Windows? Mac? Linux? UNIX? I worked on all of those platforms (and more) at Kodak except Linux.

#2 - The calibration software has to be able to communicate with the meter so the software "understands" the readings the meter is making. The seller is also not including any software like that. And in fact, if this calibration device was part of some KPro system, it's likely that the software in that system is the ONLY software that is usable with that calibration device.

Then there's the issue of what the meter is... that LONG number they included in the Ebay listing... that's not like any product model number I ever saw in 34 years of working at Kodak (much of that time in Kodak Professional division). It makes me wonder if it is a serial number rather than a model number. Without the model number, you may never discover whether there is any driver or calibration software available for that meter.

Another issue is... if the meter is filter-based, filters change (usually fade) over time. So the older the device is, the less accurate it will be. If the device is 5 years old or more, it can very well have such a large amount of drift in the filters that it will no longer calibrate a display without visibly detectable problems.

Finally... it may not even be designed for HDTV having been developed for (probably) a Professional imaging system that is not calibrated to HDTV standards... it may have been used to assist in calibration of an editing station with the output of either an ink jet printer or photographic printer and that editing station would likely have a much larger gamut than HDTV. So the meter might or might not work with HDTV even if you COULD find the driver software and a compatible calibration software product.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by huestones View Post

I have noticed the some sellers on eBay sell these calibration devices from Kodak and another unnamed company. They seem to sell quite a few.
They state the device comes without any software.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KODAK-MONITOR-COLOUR-CALIBRATION-DEVICES-020151281-/270617941063
I was wondering if anyone has used these devices and with what software?
I want to calibrate my computer LED backlit display.

The meter is a rebranded Sequel Imaging Chroma 3 or 4. We do support them in CalMAN but: They have not been made for many years probably 10+ years or so. The tristimulus filters would have by now drifted enough to be an issue. Also they were designed for CRT and early LCD so the calibration tables would not be correct for any modern display.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page