Eye One Pro or Display 3 Pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have an Eye One Pro and I am debating if I should get it re-certified or sell it to get the Display 3 Pro. I want to use it with the Lumagen Auto Cal. The Display 3 Pro will cost me 440 but the Re-Certified will cost me $200. I know the Display 3 Pro is faster. I also have a Display LT paired with my Eye One Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Spectro, IMO, everyone should have one.

See why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

However, it your i1Pro is a Rev D, I have yet see a report where one has failed recertification and I have been tracking them for years now. You could use the $200 for a i1D3 to do profiling against the i1Pro if you want.

Do read through everything in the links above though.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have an Eye One Pro and I am debating if I should get it re-certified or sell it to get the Display 3 Pro. I want to use it with the Lumagen Auto Cal. The Display 3 Pro will cost me 440 but the Re-Certified will cost me $200. I know the Display 3 Pro is faster. I also have a Display LT paired with my Eye One Pro.

I wouldn't trade accuracy for speed. You should keep the i1 Pro spectro and either keep using it with the D2/LT or add the D3, which is only $250 here. No need for enhanced calibration tables when you can just profile the D3 against the i1 Pro. Also, you probably don't need to re-cert the spectro since they are known to stay in spec for a very long time, unless you drop it hard or abuse it otherwise.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Why not get the OEM i1Display from calman and also have you I1pro calibrated, call them up they may give you a discount.
I take it you have a Radiance. Total cost of about $450.

Use your I1pro to profile your I1 display pro.

ss
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Spectro, IMO, everyone should have one.
See why here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/
However, it your i1Pro is a Rev D, I have yet see a report where one has failed recertification and I have been tracking them for years now. You could use the $200 for a i1D3 to do profiling against the i1Pro if you want.
Do read through everything in the links above though.

Yeah, the i1Pro Rev D is a great meter (I have one) and it can be used directly when you don't need to measure black or grayscale measurements below about 20% stim (accurate down to about 1 fL, could go a bit lower in some cases). I find it to be more stable than my C6 for bright measurements (like the top end of the grayscale). When you need to be able to take accurate readings well below 1 fL, simply profile your colorimeter against the spectro. Speed wise the i1Pro Rev D is quite fast since it only takes one sample per reading, except when the LLH kicks in. The C6/D3 isn't much faster, as it takes 3-5 samples per reading or more. It's main advantage is at the low end.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was adviced to get the D3 but I wasn't sure because I got the I1pro because it was one of the best. Ill just use the LT for the grey scalesand the i1 for the CMS. Saves me some money. Good thing I came here before posting it online. I also hear that the i1 doesn't need recalibrating for some years. Plus, I barely use mines anyways, about 5 times a year at max for less than 45min each time.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, unless you are a professional, it's a waste of money to re-certify a i1Pro Rev D...

Take the $200, pay towards a Professional Caiibrator to come out who has a spectro, then you can can your i1Pro against it at the same time getting some education (many do now) and a Calibration. There are Pros that will let you check your meter against theirs and do profiling of an owners colormeter to a spectro on your actual display.

or my advice above..

just some thoughts, out of the box... smile.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #8 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, unless you are a professional, it's a waste of money to re-certify a i1Pro Rev D...
Take the $200, pay towards a Professional Caiibrator to come out who has a spectro, then you can can your i1Pro against it at the same time getting some education (many do now) and a Calibration. There are Pros that will let you check your meter against theirs and do profiling of an owners colormeter to a spectro on your actual display.
or my advice above..

Thanks, ill keep this in mind
post #9 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

or my advice above..

That may be true but in my case my I1pro 2 is much more accurate than my I1pro D, imo my I1pro needs to be re-certified. And of-course not having to do a re set for the I1pro 2 is very nice for when you do a LUT cube 125 point calibration. Both meters I got new.

On my Panasonic VT50 plasma, I don't get any better readings on the high light output using my C6 profiled by my I1pro 2, than I would just using my I1pro/2. However the pattern window size and distance from the screen along with good per calibration setup for my C6, do have a lot to do with the high end light readings. Using my profiled C6 I can do a 21 point grayscale/RGB balance and get accurate readings down to 5% IRE's as where using just my I1pro 30% and lower is questionable at best.

Also understand that you will probably need to make your own profiles as you find the sweet spot for meter distance and pattern window size, plus any 3D calibrations you may want to do.

My point in this case is the OP is using a Lumagen (probably a Radiance) and autocal. I would think he/she would want to do a LUT cube 125 point CMS and a 21 point GS/RGB. You really can't stop autocal once it has started to change meters or to take a white reading if you are using just a I1pro. wink.gif

ss
post #10 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

the recal time for the two popular software packages is aggressive, in reality the dark cal can longer on the i1Pro and IMO is sufficient for the cube size adjustments in the Radiance, the low end may be more of a concern. Recertification history for undamaged/not abused i1Pro Rev D is pretty clear.. a problem may occur here if you send your i1Pro to X-Rite and they pass it, the question will come up on which is right i1Pro 1 or 2... just have to cross that bridge if and when it comes.

but IMO, 1 of the 2 options I posted for the OP's situation, just don't get rid of the spectro....
Quote:
You could use the $200 for a i1D3 to do profiling
Quote:

ControlCAL™

post #11 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

That may be true but in my case my I1pro 2 is much more accurate than my I1pro D, imo my I1pro needs to be re-certified.

FYI, a re-cert (like that offered by SpectraCal), is not a re-calibration. It only tells you whether the meter is still in spec and updates or adds the LCD Direct View (LED Backlight) table.

If you send the meter to X-Rite in Switzerland, they will re-calibrate it (if possible and/or necessary), though this option is more pricey both in terms of the service itself and shipping both ways.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

FYI, a re-cert (like that offered by SpectraCal), is not a re-calibration. It only tells you whether the meter is still in spec and updates or adds the LCD Direct View (LED Backlight) table.
If you send the meter to X-Rite in Switzerland, they will re-calibrate it (if possible and/or necessary), though this option is more pricey both in terms of the service itself and shipping both ways.

I was talking about re-calibration but I used the term re-certify because of what turbe was talking about.

Yes I know X-Rite does re-calibration, but what I didn't know was all SpectraCal did is to re-certify the I1pro. Thanks for the heads up.

ss
post #13 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, only X-Rite can "correct" (recalibrate) the i1Pro Series Spectros if they fail re-certification.. my point was that I have not seen a report yet of a i1Pro Rev D failing re-certification and I have been tracking the reports from the Calibrators for a long time now..

Basically, there is re-certification $175 - $200 (it is just being "checked" to a Reference).. Re-calibration, if needed, is from X-Rite (must be shipped to the Factory in Switzerland) at more $$$.. In the past, some Pros who use the I1Pros just buy a new one each year..

That's why I suggested one option to the OP - taking the $200 and have a Professional (with something like a Photo Research Spectro) come in and check your i1Pro during the calibration process.. some Calibrators will offer this.... the other option for him is to just put the $200 towards a i1D3 OEM. Another is to trade the i1Pro in for a i1Pro2 (but I don't think the numbers add up).

Professional Calibrators doing calibrations in the field who use the I1Pros should be getting yearly re-certifications if the keep the same meter year after year...

I believe the fees X-Rite charges have changed a few times over the years, here's back in 2010
Quote:
Try Debbie, fantastic service and it took only a week from the UK, they even arrange collection!!
Quote:
All EyeOne instruments are serviced at head quarters in Switzerland, please complete the attached RMA form for each instrument and return to me when you are ready ship each instrument. I will then obtain a returns number for you and also provide you with the shipping documents and a UPS account number to use to forward the instruments to Switzerland.
Prices as follows

Service and Recertification £105.00 per instrument
or
Repair including Recertification £170.00 per instrument
Plus return shipping

If you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards
Debbie

http://www.xrite.com/top_contact.aspx

ControlCAL™

post #14 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, only X-Rite can "correct" (recalibrate) the i1Pro Series Spectros if they fail re-certification.. my point was that I have not seen a report yet of a i1Pro Rev D failing re-certification and I have been tracking the reports from the Calibrators for a long time now..
Basically, there is re-certification $175 - $200 (it is just being "checked" to a Reference).. Re-calibration, if needed, is from X-Rite (must be shipped to the Factory in Switzerland) at more $$$.. In the past, some Pros who use the I1Pros just buy a new one each year..
That's why I suggested one option to the OP - taking the $200 and have a Professional (with something like a Photo Research Spectro) come in and check your i1Pro during the calibration process.. some Calibrators will offer this.... the other option for him is to just put the $200 towards a i1D3 OEM. Another is to trade the i1Pro in for a i1Pro2 (but I don't think the numbers add up).
Professional Calibrators doing calibrations in the field who use the I1Pros should be getting yearly re-certifications if the keep the same meter year after year...
I believe the fees X-Rite charges have changed a few times over the years, here's back in 2010
http://www.xrite.com/top_contact.aspx

I called them and its $235 total, shipping both ways
post #15 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called them and its $235 total, shipping both ways

For which option?

1. Service and Recertification
  2. Repair including Recertification

they normally quote two fees, #1 and for #2 (if needed).

make sure to note the person, extension and date.. best to get it in writing via email and remember things can change after 30days past the quote..
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

ControlCAL™

post #16 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For which option?
  1. Service and Recertification
  2. Repair including Recertification
they normally quote two fees, #1 and for #2 (if needed).
make sure to note the person, extension and date.. best to get it in writing via email and remember things can change after 30days past the quote..

Recertification. It can be repaired for $320 if it can't be recertified
post #17 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, that's in line but little lower, last time I saw a quote for US was $380 including shipping (if re-certification failed)...

it should be noted that "repair" doesn't mean if there is damage.. it really means "correction" or "re-calibration".
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

ControlCAL™

post #18 of 19 Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recertification. It can be repaired for $320 if it can't be recertified

Thanks for the clarification.

Also from what I have read turbe is right, I have never read that a I1pro D version has failed re-certification.

ss
post #19 of 19 Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it should be noted that "repair" doesn't mean if there is damage.. it really means "correction" or "re-calibration".

good to know, I was going to ask if that's exactly what it meant
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page