AVS Forum banner

Black crush

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cshawnmcdonald 
#1 ·
I've got a Samsung51 e450" Very Good Tv". I know what a good and bad tv look like,and spent many hours fiddling with tvs to get them looking better.

I've calibrated with video essentials using the100% bright box,approx 15% window size by comparing it to an iPad which is around 6500k and accurate throughout.also full screen grayscale bars calibrated.

I've seen this on 2 plasmas I've had and it's the darkest shade of black is nice and black, but the next shade of black/gray is a lot lighter shade of black/ gray.like there is some shades missing.Also if someone is standing outside on a sunny day the black shirt looks overly black(it should be a lighter shade, not pitch black).

Is there anything that can be done about this ? I only have 2 point white balance on this tv.

Do I have to completely go through Every Step of video essentials? Change adc results?

Also wondering if anyone has what I will call whipping cream like whites in the whitest patches and whites areas.Any solutions ? Go through every step of video essentials ?

Thankyou

See less See more
#2 ·
Samsung service menus should never be diddled with. You are asking for trouble. If you do the wrong thing (and it is supremely easy to do the wrong thing because the remote doesn't work as logically when you are in service menu mode) you can literally ruin a Samsung TV.

AVS is littered with pleas for help from people who messed-up their TVs by going into the service menu. They typically say something like "I know everybody says not to go into the service menu, but I thought I could do it anyway because I'm a technically savvy person. But something changed and now my TV is unwatchable."

You cannot fully evaluate black level performance unless you have a test pattern with individual digital black levels... meaning 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, etc. Patterns with % steps (like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) jump a little more than 2 digital levels for each 1% difference. So if the PLUGE pattern has -2%, 0%, and 4% bars you are never seeing what is happening at digital 17 - 23 (or thereabouts). For consumer video, you want to make sure all your sources are in 16-235 mode. If you are using YCbCr 4:2:2 you should be, by definition, in 16-235 mode but some products allow non-standard settings. If you are in RGB mode, you can choose between 0-255 and 16-235. Since consumer video uses 16-235, to avoid inevitable rounding errors, you should stick with 16-235 mode if you are using RGB formatted video from consumer sources (cable, satellite, Blu-ray movies, etc.). You may find a digital level pattern on some test/setup discs, but I don't use any of them often enough to remember which ones have it and which do not.

You didn't include enough of the model number to indicate whether this is a plasma or LCD TV (there's no such thing as an LED TV, they are just LCD TVs with LED backlights unless it is an OLED TV which are still quite rare). Plasma TVs have brightness limiting circuits to prevent the TV from overheating when too much of the screen is bright. When you use a pattern or image (like a hockey game) with a lot of white area, you'll see a lot of brightness limiting that might lead you to think something was wrong with a the whites if you were looking at the right sort of content.

#3 ·
I have not been able to resist going in the service mode.The illogical remote control action part scares me.

I can't tell difference between ycc4:4:4 and rgb except brightness and contrast levels.If anything I'd say ycc is tiny tiny bit better.

Pnd51e450 plasma.This tv is what a tv should be for the $$$. .Its not a CRT so it does have a few small issues ,but I can live with them because it has a lot to be happy with too.

Thanks for the reply.I will just go through the video essentials again to see if I can tweak a tiny bit more out of it.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345  /t/1449403/black-crush#post_22785152

I have not been able to resist going in the service mode.The illogical remote control action part scares me.

I can't tell difference between ycc4:4:4 and rgb except brightness and contrast levels.If anything I'd say ycc is tiny tiny bit better.

Pnd51e450 plasma.This tv is what a tv should be for the $$$. .Its not a CRT so it does have a few small issues ,but I can live with them because it has a lot to be happy with too.

Thanks for the reply.I will just go through the video essentials again to see if I can tweak a tiny bit more out of it.

Stay out of the service menu, seriously listen to Doug's advice , he is experienced and knows what he is talking about besides you do not need to be in there for anything . If you don't have a meter to do a accurate calibration then just use your user menu controls and a calibration disk to set the basics. Contrast, Brightness, Color/Tint etc. Don't touch any 2pt white balance controls or 10point if you have them. Also do not copy any settings for your model of tv it will not work and possibly make the tv look worse. Use warm2 for color tone and that will get you closest to the D65 standard white coordinate. How close you will never know without a meter. Enjoy the tv

#5 ·
What about taking back off and turning one of the pots?

I don't want to go through all that but if i could just tweak one of the pots a touch I'd be tempted to.

The warm2 was too red on my tv.I've read that warm settings on tvs can be around 5500k

#6 ·
Yeah, like you're better qualified to tweak pots on the back of a TV more than the manufacturer. With no meter or calibration software or knowledge about the design of the TV in question.

Either learn how to calibrate and buy your own hardware and software or hire a professional to calibrate the TV and quit messing around. I no longer use the service menu in anything but OLD displays that have no calibration controls in the User Menu and I review video displays and am a professional calibrator. There is NO REASON to tweak pots or access the service menu.

If the Warm temp is too red, pick the next higher color temp setting.

#7 ·
Maybe I should just be content that the darks are black.

The worst part of owning a big screen would be not watching the program and worrying about tweaking all the time.i just want to get it to a good level then never think about tweaking it anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.