Unit-to-unit backlight capacity among 2012 Panasonic plasmas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I recently purchased a TC-P60UT50 that I returned for a replacement because it was sold to me, unknowingly, as an open box item. I had the first unit for a few days and I took some measurements. I've also taken measurements on the replacement set. On the original unit I was able to achieve 30ftL in Cinema mode at a Contrast setting of 85 using the ColorHCFR large APL pattern. On the replacement unit, I'm only able to achieve a maximum of 24ftL (Contrast at 100) on the same pattern. I updated the firmware and did a hard reset to no avail. Both sets had around 40 hours of usage during measurements. For comparison's sake, I took measurements with ColorHCFR's small APL window and regular window and I was able to achieve a maximum of 33ftL and 31ftL, respectively.

Is this type of unit-to-unit performance fluctuation normal? I can't imagine so. Has anybody else come across a similarly dim 2012 Panasonic plasma?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Such variation does not sound normal indeed. However, 30fL with the contrast at 85 in Cinema mode sounds too high, especially with a large APL window. Are you sure you didn't measure the small APL window? Measuring in the low to mid 30's with the contrast at 100 on the AVS window (which ~14%) sounds more like what a 60" 2012 Panasonic would measure in Cinema mode.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was definitely getting 30ftL, at least according to my i1 LT, ColorHCFR and ColorHCFR's large APL pattern. On my TC-P58S1 I'm able to achieve as high as 52ftL in Custom on the same pattern.

Also, 30ftL is the highest I'm able to achieve in any picture mode on the replacement UT50 with the same large APL pattern.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 228
When you use a small window with black background (10%-15% of screen area) and measure 100% white and you set the TV to 32 fL or so. When you switch to a full-screen 100% white pattern, you will typically read about 17-18 fL. This assumes you have all the automatic crap turned off.

I would not trust ANY other kinds of window patterns or fancy-schmancy foolduggery to produce reasonably good calibration/measurement results with plasma TVs... use windows that are about 10% of the screen area with a black background. Other types of windows are likely to lead to odd measurements and/or odd control settings. If the TV still seems odd after using those "traditional" patterns then it's very likely the TV is odd in some way.

What the heck is "backlight capacity" and why is it in the title of the thread? Plasma TVs do not have a backlight.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Doug... I like to use 10% windows as well. You shouldn't be using the Large APL patterns anyway (IMHO). I would use the GCD 10% window patterns. Or at least use the AVSHD709 window patterns.

If you really did measure 30fL on a large APL pattern with the contrast at 85, I'm guessing either something is up with your meter, or perhaps you measured Custom mode instead of Cinema. Cinema mode is dimmer than Custom mode AFAIK, and I don't think I've ever seen Cinema mode measure so bright with the contrast at 85, especially with a large APL pattern.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Cinema is naturally darker than Custom, but the gamma tracking and color gamut is much better
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

That was maybe true on the 2011 models, but not the 2012 models. Color gamut and gamma tracking is just fine in Custom mode.