Calibration Device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no prior experience with calibration but would like to start getting into it and calibrating LED and HDTV's. Do you guys have any recommendations on an entry level calibrator/software which isn't too too expensive that will give good results.

Thank you in advance.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
For software, your current choices are ColorHCFR, CalMAN and ChromaPure.

Many do start out with a X-Rite i1Display 3 (i1Display Pro, i1D3) Series, probably should get the OEM version (supported by all three above), not Retail... less expensive is the C3 Meter (I'm not a fan of this colorimeter generation) from SpectraCal (only works with CalMAN)... These all are Colorimeters - BTW, stay away from the Spyder Series IMO.

However, I recommend a Spectrometer like the X-Rite i1Pro Spectro, though much more expensive new (which is now the i1Pro2). Even a used i1Pro Rev D. should be good and may be a better fit for the budget.. they can often be found for between $250 - $450 used.

I recommend you read up on Colorimeters vs Spectrometers.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read this Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

Please do read all the posts/info on the above links.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Chris, put your location in your profile, sometimes you may find you live right near someone willing to help, but they need to know where you are.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the help turbe and airscapes!

Like I said I am very new and not looking to spend a lot of money. I am mostly trying to calibrate my samsung LED tv and a few other lcd hdtv's around the house. I will continue reading the links that turbe has provided.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobin1 View Post

Thank you for the help turbe and airscapes!
Like I said I am very new and not looking to spend a lot of money. I am mostly trying to calibrate my samsung LED tv and a few other lcd hdtv's around the house. I will continue reading the links that turbe has provided.

Here's a cliff notes of what I've gathered from this forum and what is already explained by turbe

1. Buy a decent colorimeter (the decent ones e.g., i1 Display 3 Pro will cost you around $250.. i1 Display LT might also work if you wish to go cheaper).
2. New colorimeters (specially X-rite products) are calibrated to standards so shouldn't have problems theoretically at least when they are new. They drift over time.. so maybe you can buy one .. calibrate.. and then resell to recover costs!! Why keep it when it drifts over time and recertifying it will cost almost as much as a new one.
3. Spectrometers are more accurate and don't deviate over time, but are slow reading darker patterns and are much more expensive ..e.g., ColorMunki spectro or the i1 Basic Pro aka i1Pro on this forum).
4. Choose free software ColorHCFR or paid software CalMan, or ChromaPure among others.
5. You are ready to calibrate using a meter and software. What you do next entirely depends on your knowledge and experience gained over time using the equipment.

Insert pithy comment here
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Riverside.

For my purpose I might just do the CalMAN 5 Control with i1 Display (OEM) Bundle. for those with experience, how difficult is the actual process of the calibration?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobin1 View Post

Thanks Riverside.

For my purpose I might just do the CalMAN 5 Control with i1 Display (OEM) Bundle. for those with experience, how difficult is the actual process of the calibration?

I currently use CalMAN 5 w/ the i1Display Pro which was purchased from Spectracal. Tutorial workflows are very good at walking you through a basic calibration. The more advanced workflows don't hold your hand as much. IMO CalMAN 5 is a must if your a beginner.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page