Black level for Blu-ray on PC Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI Black Level has confused me ever since I started watching Bluray and caring about calibration more. I used to always set it to low on my old 22" LCD but now have a 27" LED PC Monitor (LG E2742) and can't figure it out. I have searched and searched online and so many people contradict each other. Many say High should be used, many say normal. I have my PS3 Bluray output set to YCbCr.

My Monitor does not have "brightness" controll like a TV as the brightness control actually adjusts the backlight level rather than the black level that the "brightness" on a tv does. The only way I can calibrate black levels is by choosing either High or Low as an HDMI level. When I choose Low Blacks get deeper but get crushed. High shows loads of shadow detail but can seem a bit misty looking. I have checked a brightness calibration pattern using AVS HD disk which displays the correct pattern when the setting is "high" However If I use the HD calibration tool supplied on many BBC Blurays, the low Black Level setting displays the correct pattern.

I have always used "Low" in the past due to YCbCr being a limited range source and low being the correct setting for limited range but now after using the AVC HD disc an reading many forums where people say the opposite I am not so sure. Is one of these two black levels the official set standard for displaying YCbCr video content or does it differ from set to set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
PC monitors expect black to be at 0, Blu-Ray discs encode black at 16.

Some monitors are manually configurable and some will detect that you're feeding it YCC and reconfigure to use black at 16.

If you are simply feeding the monitor from the PS3, it may be easier to configure the whole chain to pass full range RGB.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 216
With HDMI the EDID signal within the HDMI path should set the display correctly for the source material, or vice versa, assuming both source and display are compliant.

This can often cause the issues you are seeing, where one combination works correctly, while another combination doesn't.

The only way to really prove this is to test using the same patch configuration, with the same source and display connected, and see how they work together.

Some display allow you to turn off EDID as well...

Any help?

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

PC monitors expect black to be at 0, Blu-Ray discs encode black at 16.
Some monitors are manually configurable and some will detect that you're feeding it YCC and reconfigure to use black at 16.
If you are simply feeding the monitor from the PS3, it may be easier to configure the whole chain to pass full range RGB.
And if i set RGB full as the output on the PS3, would high (normal) be the correct black level setting on the monitor (as opposed to low)?

Just to note RGB Full and ycbcr both present the same looking picture where ycbcr limited makes everything brighter/greyer. I assumed ycbcr would look the same as rgb limited as ycbcr is 16 black but for some reason ycbcr looks the same as rgb full on any video disk. For that reason i just leave it set to that rather than changing it to rgb full.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page