Calibrating Primary and Secondary colours on LG displays using individual Colour/Tint controls? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was setting up a friend's LG TV today, and was really surprised to find how much fine-tuning it offered. It allowed me to set RGB for each IRE level (0-100 in steps of 10) individually, and even provides built-in IRE patterns!

When it came to the colour management, though, I got stuck. I'm using ColorHCFR with the Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies tutorial, but unfortunately his walkthrough seems to cover different colour controls. The LG offers the ability to adjust "Colour" and "Tint" for each of the Primary and Secondary colours individually (over and above the main "Tint" control), and even offers a built-in test pattern that shows all 6 colours as bars. The bars are broad and deep enough that my colorimeter comfortably fits inside them. The walkthrough offers advice on adjusting with "Lightness, Hue, and Saturation" controls. Now, "Saturation" and "Colour" are the same control, according to the walkthrough, but "Tint" is apparently a separate control entirely to "Lightness" and "Hue".

Does anyone know how I could use the LG's "Colour" and "Tint" controls alone to calibrate my Primary and Secondary colours? A link to a walkthrough would be best.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
On this version of the LG CMS, only "tint" is of any significant use.

LG "Tint" = hue (angle)

LG "Color" = Lightness (it also effects "saturation," but not in any useful way.)

Furthermore, you can't really move the 100% saturated primaries. If you're going to have any success at all with the CMS controls, you'll need to use 75% Saturated targets which are *not* available on the set's built in "expert patterns." (Locate, the AVS-HD test disk and burn yourself a copy.)

I use the tint controls to set up the six color hue angles, then call it quits (the color controls should be pretty much dead on if you leave them at 0.)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good information. Thank you.

[rant]Why can't TV manufacturers just used standardised terms?[/rant]

I have the AVS patterns, but for some reason the TV in question greys out the huge majority of the controls when I choose an HDMI source, rendering these patterns unusable. Is this your experience too? Is there a simple, cheap and effective way to send patterns in through the built-in tuner, short of buying a professional pattern generator?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by docker2 View Post

Good information. Thank you.

[rant]Why can't TV manufacturers just used standardised terms?[/rant]

I have the AVS patterns, but for some reason the TV in question greys out the huge majority of the controls when I choose an HDMI source, rendering these patterns unusable. Is this your experience too?

Not at all ... although, it's possible that the ISF Expert controls might have been password/pin protected. Also, make sure the set is not in 'Demo/Store' mode.

That being said, some menu items will "lock/grey out" depending on the source signal ... and the built in "expert patterns" will only work when the TV/Antenna source is selected.

Also, I see you're in the UK, so it might be a question of whether the AVS-HD disk is compatible with the display a/o BD player.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page