Anyone have calibration for Samsung LED UN60EH6003? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from my 2009 46" inch LED TV to this one and so far I am NOT impressed with the picture quality at all. Messed with some settings but could not get a good picture. My nearly 4 year old LED I had before this has much better picture quality! Very disappointed. I am still within my 30 days so I may return it, but before I go that far, does anyone have any calibration settings to recommend? Faces are reddish and picture is not sharp. So far this is what I have.

Picture mode - Standard
Color mode - Standard
Dynamic contrast - Off
Black Level - Darkest
Color - 50
Sharpness - 0
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 100
Gamma - -1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Your best bet? Get a calibration disc such as DVE HD Basics or Disney's WOW, and develop your own settings. TVs are different enough-even between sets of the same model-that someone else's settings may not work well on yours.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Why don't you look for an owner's thread for your model series where people discuss the settings they use to get good results. And if you had read ANYTHING about setting up a TV (which is NOT calibration... calibration requires that you get the initial settings right, then you use a meter and software to adjust the TV to make it as accurate as it can be... something you cannot do by eye).

I can tell just from the settings you listed that you aren't really in-tune with settings appropriate for your TV... nobody interested in the best looking images would use "Standard" mode. For Samsungs, you want to use Cinema or Movie mode.

I don't recall what the Black Level control does, but I am very concerned about using a setting called "darkest"... what are the other options? You may have put the TV into a completely wrong mode with that setting alone. But again, I'd need to know more about what Samsung says that particular control is for.

0 may or may not be the right setting for Sharpness... you need a Sharpness test pattern that's on most test/setup discs in order to tell if you have the best possible Sharpness setting.

It is VERY unlikely that 100 is the best setting for Contrast. In a dark room, you want about 35 fL from a 100% white test pattern. You can't tell what setting that is without a meter. But someone who owns a similar model who has a meter may have posted in the Owner's forum for your model series (UNxxEH6xxx or maybe UNxxEHxxxx) what Contrast setting produces 35 fL in a dark room. Of course, Backlight is a critical setting for this also. And using the darkest Backlight setting. A lot of LCD TVs can produce 70 fL or more with a high contrast and Backlight setting (some up to 150 fL... which is way too much light in a dark room... and images will always look their best in a dark room.

There are a TON of other settings on Samsung TVs that you did not mention and they can have a HUGE impact on image quality... like color temperature, gamma, etc.

There's no easy way to tell what the right setting for Backlight is either... if you do not have a meter. Some LCDs misbehave pretty badly if you set the Backlight control too low. If you set the Backlight too high, your black level suffers. So you want the Backlight control set as low as possible to get the best possible black level, but you don't want the backlight set so dark that you can't achieve 35 fL with the Contrast control set to a value that doesn't cause white clipping. A test/setup disc will also help you determine the highest Contrast contro you can safely use without losing highlight information. But the hghest Contrast setting isn't necessarily the RIGHT Contrast setting if the highest setting produces more than 35 fL with the Backlight set well so you get good color and good blacks at the same time (again, not really achievable without a meter --- which is why you want to find an owner of your model who has a meter and has made these measurements). And as the previous poster mentioned... someone elses settings, even if they have the same TV you have are not guaranteed to be the right settings for your TV. That's why you need your own Test/Setup disc to help you determine the best setting for Brightness and the highest setting you can use for Contrast without losing detail

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page