How much can I acheive with what I have - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently use an i1Display Pro w/ CalMAN 5. My display is a Panasonic 60GT30. I have calibrated 2D & 3D using custom mode. I did contrast, brightness & sharpness using test patterns. Set color temp & gamma (gamma was tricky for 3D). Gray scale adjustment was done using 2pt system as that is what my display is limited to. I did get color in range using my meter instead of the blue filter. Since my display doesn't have multi-point gray scale adjustment and no CMS that pretty much sums up all I can do, until maybe I add a video processor correct? I checked my contrast using the contrast pattern and seen no clipping and used the dynamic range chart along with a 100% white pattern and I measured 31fl. Disc used for calibration was AVS Rec709 and I used the APL windows. I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That sounds like you've gotten a pretty good calibration. In case you didn't know, for CMS adjustment it depends on if your primaries and secondaries are inside or outside the gamut triangle. On my UT50, with cinema mode my green and red primaries are inside the triangle, so they can never be in the target box in Calman's gamut chart. But in Custom mode they are outside, which means my colors can be tightened up a little bit. A video processor would be able to handle all your grayscale, gamma, and CMS needs. I decided to use my HTPC and Cal PC Client to clean up my TV's calibration. A UT50 just has 2 point white balance; no gamma, no CMS. The PC Client allows multi-point grayscale and user specified gamma. There's not really a CMS function with the auto cal since Windows (possibly all OS) don't support ICC profiles for color, just specific software programs. But I think and i1 D3/Pro and Calman is a pretty good combo to get an excellent picture.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page