Quastion about Wide gamut - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sheers,
I just wonder if the Wide gamut is HD709?

When I use standard Gamut the green is to light, this is before and after I calibrate my TV with Calman.
But when I change to Wide it's perfect.

And my blue is under saturation with standard but much better when I change it to Wide.

So can I change gamut to Wide and still calibrate my TV as normal with CalMan?
Can I still use AVCHD709 75% pattterns to calibrate CMS?

TV: LG 60PA550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too was wondering this as I have a 50pa5500 which has settings to adjust GAMNA-lo-ned-hi, BLACK LEVEL-lo-hi, and GAMUT-standard-wide and xvYcolor greyed out to auto. On top of that its hooked up to a ps3 which has settings for RGB HDMI-full-limited and DEEP COLOR-auto-off so I get confused on how to reconcile these settings??? This is how I understand it: rec709 is a color space(I think?) mastered at 16-235 ire(?) and a wide gamut us supposed to display more colors within the same color space as opposed to RGB full which is a new colorspace...right?

Continuum>DX>Inc>D3 sent from tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It is always best to measure a display with each of the available choices and choose the one that is closest to correct. If the set has CMS you can bring your primary colors in if they are over saturated but you CAN NOT move them out if they are under saturated.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixe View Post

I too was wondering this as I have a 50pa5500 which has settings to adjust GAMNA-lo-ned-hi, BLACK LEVEL-lo-hi, and GAMUT-standard-wide and xvYcolor greyed out to auto. On top of that its hooked up to a ps3 which has settings for RGB HDMI-full-limited and DEEP COLOR-auto-off so I get confused on how to reconcile these settings??? This is how I understand it: rec709 is a color space(I think?) mastered at 16-235 ire(?) and a wide gamut us supposed to display more colors within the same color space as opposed to RGB full which is a new colorspace...right?

Continuum>DX>Inc>D3 sent from tapatalk

Rec 709 has a defined color space, but it's a full set of parameters for HDTV that also encompasses frame rates and more. It uses video levels of 16-235 for encoding and when converted to RGB should fall inside of the same 16-235 range. As computers also use RGB, but use the full 0-255 range, that is where RGB and RGB Full designations come from, and typically RGB Full takes the video signal (16-235) and expands it to the full 0-255 range. This doesn't add anything, but it produces a better image on displays calibrated for PC Levels.

On the PS3, with a standard TV, the correct settings are RGB Limited or YCbCr with SuperWhite On, which is preferred. To choose the correct gamut you would need to measure and compare the two, and xvColor won't do anything, as nothing out there really supports it. I'd say the same for Deep Color as well, but there are people that would disagree, but odds are it does nothing.

IRE is a relative measure from the analog video days. 100 was a full white signal, and 0 was a black signal (basically). IRE is no longer correct with digital video, however.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page