Recommended Brightness cd/m2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have been reeding about is the brightness at 100 IRE (100% White) have any rules for standard and I can't find it.

So I thought that we can discuss it.

I got a plasma LG 60"

For ISF-night I got about 80 cd/m2 and I can't go higher because then the greyscale 'll totally go crazy, almost that I shod go lower but that I can't do because then the plasma 'll bee to dark, I still have color shifting in the greyramp at 70 - 80 IRE (White)
But for ISF-day I have been compromising and put it on 110 cd/m2 and tryd to fix the greyscale as good as I can.

I only use ISF-Night in a dark room.

Is this good or shod I lower the contrast even more to get better greyscale?
Is it any rule for standard about brightness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
What patterns are you using to measure grayscale and brightness? You should be using windows or maybe APL patterns with a plasma. What issues are caused by setting the contrast higher that can't be fixed with the W/B controls? Both 80 and 110 cdm2 are fairly low for their respective applications/room conditions IMO... I would think that you should be able to go higher without much trouble, but I don't own that model. I usually like around 120cdm2 for a dark room, but everyone's different I suppose.

I think the general rule is to not so much target a specific brightness, but to set the contrast to a comfortable brightness level for your room conditions, as long as there aren't any negative effects, such as white clipping or color shift in white levels below ~240-242. That's what I do anyway.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

What patterns are you using to measure grayscale and brightness? You should be using windows or maybe APL patterns with a plasma. What issues are caused by setting the contrast higher that can't be fixed with the W/B controls? Both 80 and 110 cdm2 are fairly low for their respective applications/room conditions IMO... I would think that you should be able to go higher without much trouble, but I don't own that model. I usually like around 120cdm2 for a dark room, but everyone's different I suppose.

I think the general rule is to not so much target a specific brightness, but to set the contrast to a comfortable brightness level for your room conditions, as long as there aren't any negative effects, such as white clipping or color shift in white levels below ~240-242. That's what I do anyway.

The lg 60pa550 cant get any brighter.
I use Window, My greyacale is flat now and rgb is fine and gamma st 2.2 byt still i have color swifting in My Greyscale.
And 80 cd/m2.
Then i have contrast at 70 click.
I dont clipp anything.

When i higher The contrast to 85 click i got 109 cd/m2.
But My greyscale go crazy if i use it from 70-100.
Dives like an sub.

Sorry for The spelling i use My iPhone with swedish auto correction.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
how are you measuring, with the meter in contact mode, or set at a distance from the screen? What meter and software are you using? What is your source for the patterns, DVD, BluRay, HTPC etc?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Contact mode
1ipro and c6
Calman V5
Avchd709 and dve bd

Bluray player lg is The source.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Try the GCD 10% window or 10% APL patterns instead. IIRC, DVE's windows are ~18% and AVS HD 709's windows are ~14%. The DVE windows especially are probably engaging the ABL at higher stimulus levels causing the gamma to dip.

Don't most LG displays have 10/20pt white balance controls? If you use the 10% patterns, the dip at higher stimulus levels probably won't be as sharp compared to the DVE windows (or not there at all). If there's a small dip, use the white balance controls to flatten the gamma by grouping RGB together. Raising RGB will lower the gamma, lowering RGB will increase the gamma.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page