Calman 5 + C6 + Radiance Mini 3d calibration help please - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
you guys are wearing me out. Joel, could you please give me some simple steps to follow for a 3d autocal using calman5 enthusiast? i tried the workflow but still had problems. do i set grey points to 21 and color to 125 in my radiance and then run autocal? any other changes in the lumagen need to be made?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

you guys are wearing me out. Joel, could you please give me some simple steps to follow for a 3d autocal using calman5 enthusiast? i tried the workflow but still had problems. do i set grey points to 21 and color to 125 in my radiance and then run autocal? any other changes in the lumagen need to be made?

thanks!

You don't need to do any of that, we can set all of that directly.

Just connect to the radiance and work from there.

If you need someone to walk you through it try calling up support. It'll be much easier to have a conversation about it.

You will need to do a base calibration on the display, which will require a bit of knowledge on how calibration works (Steps 2 and 3 in the workflows). After that it's just go to the Calibrate RGB Balance and click AutoCal, go to the Calibrate 3D Cube and click AutoCal.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #63 of 67 Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

We'll you can look at it with a radiance, but it's not our processing for a radiance, it's the radiance that does the inbetween points. It would be the same for lightspace.

But you absolutely can measure those, all the way up to a 65^3 in CalMAN 5.1

Personally I like to just do a quick run with the colorchecker chart, it's only 24 points, but none of them line up with any of the control points (except the grayscale points), so it's looking at our interpolation.

But you are correct we need the higher density data to prove we are doing it correct.

if there can be a custom XML file - or whatever format you support - that one can edit by defining a series of custom triplets and these will then be verified in color checker, that would be it... this would allow complete control of the verification of the cube...

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 67 Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
So far what I am seeing with Calman Beta 1092 are trade offs for LUT cube calibration using the above tools. It seems to me that the Gamut is promising but the Grayscale is not.
What I am seeing is to much of a "Clay Face Effect" and loss of depth, among other things.

I am not all that interested in what any tests are telling me, for the simple reason is that I am not going back and tweaking a 125 point Gamut or even a 21 point GS. Once you start tweaking, imo you are probably going to degrade some other setting/s. Yes when doing a 10 point GS and a 6 point Gamut I would always tweak, but the LUT cube makes this very difficult and really not a option.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #65 of 67 Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

So far what I am seeing with Calman Beta 1092 are trade offs for LUT cube calibration using the above tools. It seems to me that the Gamut is promising but the Grayscale is not.
What I am seeing is to much of a "Clay Face Effect" and loss of depth, among other things.

At some point you run into bit issues.

If you are measuring tiny dE's, then that's the truth, you are that close to the intended values. But as you add more correction, processors start to run out of bits.

What we do is no different than what you would do through the UI to get the lowest dE's from point to point. If for some reason you would opt to go with a higher dE because the correction starts to create artifacts, that isn't something that can be detected in software.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #66 of 67 Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

At some point you run into bit issues.

If you are measuring tiny dE's, then that's the truth, you are that close to the intended values. But as you add more correction, processors start to run out of bits.

What we do is no different than what you would do through the UI to get the lowest dE's from point to point. If for some reason you would opt to go with a higher dE because the correction starts to create artifacts, that isn't something that can be detected in software.

Yes there is no question I need to play with calman 1092 or when it comes out 5.1. Anyway I have just run a LUT cube using only my I1Pro 2 so there is no profiling involved, just to see if there is a problem with the profiler or or C6. .
Calibration for GS (21pt) took about 17+ min, Cube took about 27+ min. Understanding that there are no raw numbers that are shown, it is hard to tell what is the differences are until I view some test patterns and video.
However if I just go off of the RGB ballance chart, then there is less variation with RGB in the lower IRE's.

ss

Update, Just using the I1Pro 2 and the LUT cube/21pt GS there are the same old problems in the lower IRE's. So imo there is no question that using the I1Pro to profile my C6 is the way to go.

It also seems that using Beta 1092 take a little getting use to or needs time to fully work its way into my LT. Did a LUT Cube last night took 20 min, 21pt GS took 10 min. For what ever reason my report was showing 0 IRE at .002. Also calibrating my VT50, the calibration seems to come out better using Custom mode rather than ISF mode.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #67 of 67 Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

if there can be a custom XML file - or whatever format you support - that one can edit by defining a series of custom triplets and these will then be verified in color checker, that would be it... this would allow complete control of the verification of the cube...

Joel, Since CalMAN 5 can measure any color point, a good idea is to add an External Application, like the Level Editor, can be called for example as Color Checker Editor, using that tool to custom add any RGB Triplet we want to measure smile.gif

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page