LightSpace 3D LUT Home Cinema Calibration Software - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #271 of 436 Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Just to add to this, whichever profile you select from the Drop Down (Generic CMF), you need to make sure you select the same option every time you use Probe Matching with the i1D3 as the Active Probe.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 436 Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Thanks^^^
post #273 of 436 Old 03-08-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
I've been meaning to ask, can a 3D LUT correction resolve issues at 5 IRE? It's challenging, even on video processors with multi-point controls, and on some auto-cal programs 5% is not calculated at all . Is LightSpace equipped for this? I haven't seen an RGB Balance chart with a flat response below 10 IRE.

How much of the video signal is normal below 10 IRE?

Steve, why are my colors undersaturated at 5%?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5%Patches_CR100_400ms.PNG
Views:	185
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1302257  
post #274 of 436 Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Can you send me the original display profile, the LUT you made, and the verification profile made with the LUT active.
But, I suspect this is either a display issue, as many displays are low gamut at low luma, or the probe is reading incorrectly at low luma levels.

But, you must remember that at real low luma levels you are very restricted in what can be 'adjusted'.
The backlight becomes the defining factor (in displays with a backlight), and that cannot be 'calibrated'.
Most LCD displays have a 'blue' backlight, for example, as well as low gamut at low luma levels.
To attempt to 'correct' the blue of the backlight would require increasing Red and Green, so lift the luma level, making black turn grey... not something you want to do.

So for many displays, when you get to the low luma levels you just aim to constrain gamut, if it is potentially larger than target (if it is already lower you can do nothing), and leave the 'colour' (hue) alone.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Last edited by Light Illusion; 03-09-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #275 of 436 Old 03-09-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a plan Steve.

Let me run the verification profile this evening. I might as well just run a whole new LUT calibration, to make sure all the controls are set to neutral.

My OLED display has a cell light. I don't think other OLED displays have this and it can't be similar to blue backlight on LCD technology, can it?

Last edited by Pres2play; 03-09-2016 at 04:48 PM.
post #276 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, send me all the info when you have it, so I can have a look.
What specific OLED do you have?

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #277 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent you the info Steve. The verification LUT should be ready in a few hours.

I have the Samsung S9C.

Thanks!
post #278 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Got the initial profile, and it shows the display to have some very strange issues, especially in blue.
The RGB Separation shows this well.
It looks like Blue has a strange ABL/ASBL issue that Red and green do not suffer?

Also, if you use the 'Gamut Triangle Level' option to show the overall gamut at different stimulus levels you can see the gamut reduces (strangely) as lower stimulus levels.
That shows the display does suffer low gamut at low luma levels, as I mentioned previosuly.
That cannot be 'corrected' as the gamut is below the target level.
Weirdly, Red saturation stays almost unchanged throughout, while Green and Blue suffer.
Have you used the Gamut Triangle control to see the change?

The probe is also reading inaccurately at the very low luma levels the display can attain - but that is separate to the display's desaturation at low luma levels.

Separately, the RGB Balance is very poor in the native profile - that is very unusual.

Basically, it show the display has some rather strange responses to input stimulus changes.

Is everything within the display's colour management really turned off?

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #279 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Before I answer these questions, let me ask you about the verification LUT that I just ran. Once the measurement is complete, what is the next step? I want to see the cube. Do I run it through the Color Converter? When I do this, the converter stops working and message pops up: Color Converter not responding

I'll check all my settings. Only thing I used is 2pt white balance. 10pt is turned off.
post #280 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I should mention this display is designed with two blue pixels for every green and red pixel. Something to do with the life of the blue pixels being shorter than the others.
post #281 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

A verification is the re-profiling of the display with the LUT active.
Once that process is complete the profile is the result.
There is nothing more to do.

You can use Convert colour space to see how far the calibration varies from a perfect cube, but actually all that info is in the profile graphs anyway.

The 'Not Responding' message usually means you have asked LS to perform something that will take a fairly long time... just stop, and wait.
It will generate a result after a period of time.
(The amount of PC ram and the power saving mode active on a laptop will alter the time taken for such processing)

But, see above - a verification profile needs no additional processing.
It is the result.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #282 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I should mention this display is designed with two blue pixels for every green and red pixel. Something to do with the life of the blue pixels being shorter than the others.
That will make no difference to LightSpace

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #283 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

You can use Convert colour space to see how far the calibration varies from a perfect cube, but actually all that info is in the profile graphs anyway.

The 'Not Responding' message usually means you have asked LS to perform something that will take a fairly long time... just stop, and wait.
(The amount of PC ram and the power saving mode active on a laptop will alter the time taken for such processing)

It is the result.

Steve

Ok, thanks for explaining how that works. I'm not sure I want to run that again if the correction LUT already has most of the information I need. Certainly not 21^3 profile, although to be fair it took less time than I expected, about 90 minutes.
post #284 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got the initial profile, and it shows the display to have some very strange issues, especially in blue.
The RGB Separation shows this well.
It looks like Blue has a strange ABL/ASBL issue that Red and green do not suffer?

Also, if you use the 'Gamut Triangle Level' option to show the overall gamut at different stimulus levels you can see the gamut reduces (strangely) as lower stimulus levels.
That shows the display does suffer low gamut at low luma levels, as I mentioned previosuly.
That cannot be 'corrected' as the gamut is below the target level.
Weirdly, Red saturation stays almost unchanged throughout, while Green and Blue suffer.
Have you used the Gamut Triangle control to see the change?

The probe is also reading inaccurately at the very low luma levels the display can attain - but that is separate to the display's desaturation at low luma levels.

Separately, the RGB Balance is very poor in the native profile - that is very unusual.

Basically, it show the display has some rather strange responses to input stimulus changes.

Is everything within the display's colour management really turned off?

Steve

Something is wrong, the profiles taken before did not look as bad as the one I sent you today, and the picture with actual content is excellent. I will test the display with my i1d3 this evening and compare it with the CR100.

I did change the meter Exposure Max setting while I was testing the 5% color patterns yesterday. But this shouldn't affect display characterization since LS has control of the meter in loop mode, correct?
post #285 of 436 Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
That will make no difference to LightSpace

Just wondering if it's a sign of the blue pixels aging prematurely. I've had the set almost 3 years and the life span of the blue pixels are reportedly much shorter than the rest.

Last edited by Pres2play; 03-10-2016 at 04:01 PM.
post #286 of 436 Old 03-11-2016, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Something is wrong, the profiles taken before did not look as bad as the one I sent you today, and the picture with actual content is excellent. I will test the display with my i1d3 this evening and compare it with the CR100.

I did change the meter Exposure Max setting while I was testing the 5% color patterns yesterday. But this shouldn't affect display characterization since LS has control of the meter in loop mode, correct?
The profile doesn't sow any 'errors'. The readings look valid, but seem to show the display just has a strange response.

Send me any previous profiles too.

LS uses the probe settings you set within the 'Options' page. But as I say, the profile shows no 'errors'.

Quote:
Just wondering if it's a sign of the blue pixels aging prematurely. I've had the set almost 3 years and the life span of the blue pixels are reportedly much shorter than the rest.
No, I think that would show predominantly as low overall blue gamut.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #287 of 436 Old 03-11-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your assessment Steve.

I'm sending the CR100 and CR250 in for recertification today to make sure they're working perfectly.

I'll continue testing my setup this weekend with my i1D3 and report back.
post #288 of 436 Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm here as and when you need me - as for all out customers.

A direct e-mail always gets to me immediately, but I'll respond here as soon as I see the post (I don't always check here every day).

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #289 of 436 Old 03-11-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, Steve, I did ask Guillermo Keller of Colorimetry Research about my CR-100 and the inaccuracy you reported at very low luma levels. He indicated there were no reported performance issues with the CR-100 since it's release over two years ago. It would be weird if mine were the first.

For those reading this and wondering about their own CR-100, I'm told you can't test the meter yourself with, say, the CRIApp. It needs to be done in their lab. He said checking linearity on even highly accurate monitors you can get "false positive" or "false negative" readings, depending on which way the color monitor is changing and if the meter indeed is reading inaccurately.

Hopefully, they can provide me with information about the readings taken in the lab and any adjustments they make. Good news, they offered to do any repairs in warranty if necessary; however, I still have to pay for recertification.
post #290 of 436 Old 03-11-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The profile doesn't sow any 'errors'. The readings look valid, but seem to show the display just has a strange response.

Send me any previous profiles too.

LS uses the probe settings you set within the 'Options' page. But as I say, the profile shows no 'errors'.

No, I think that would show predominantly as low overall blue gamut.

Unfortunately, I have a habit of deleting the LUT files once I download to the eeColor box. Wish I had saved them.
post #291 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
By the way, Steve, I did ask Guillermo Keller of Colorimetry Research about my CR-100 and the inaccuracy you reported at very low luma levels. He indicated there were no reported performance issues with the CR-100 since it's release over two years ago. It would be weird if mine were the first.

For those reading this and wondering about their own CR-100, I'm told you can't test the meter yourself with, say, the CRIApp. It needs to be done in their lab. He said checking linearity on even highly accurate monitors you can get "false positive" or "false negative" readings, depending on which way the color monitor is changing and if the meter indeed is reading inaccurately.

Hopefully, they can provide me with information about the readings taken in the lab and any adjustments they make. Good news, they offered to do any repairs in warranty if necessary; however, I still have to pay for recertification.
Hello.

I have a good experience with CR-100 that I can share with you today.

The CR-100 needs to be powered as it is specified for USB otherwise the measurements at low level can be disturbed. If you are using a poor USB cable or an USB cable with a length greater than the length of the cable coming with the CR-100 (from Colorimeter Research) you should add a powered USB hub in between the end of this cable and the CR-100.

Before you send your CR-100 for checking : can you check if your problem can be solved just by adding a powered USB hub like this : your PC > USB hub cable > USB hub powered > CR-100 USB cable > CR-100.

The best way to test is very simple : measure the patch 0,0,0, when you get a stable measurement, put your hand in front of the CR-100 to hide totally the light : if the CR-100 is right powered you should obtain either a measurement error or very very low value otherwise (CR-100 is wrong powered) you should obtain no value changing. Test without and with a powered USB hub.

Now I use systematically an USB powered hub, I have tested UBS2 and USB3, both work well with CR-100. I do the same with my CR-250RH.

Note : without a powered USB hub, the CR-100 behaviour depends on the PC it is plugged. It is not an issue with the CR-100. When the PC provides a good and strong USB voltage, there is no issue at all. I have tested 3 different laptops with CRIapp to make my conclusion. It's why I recommend you to use systematically a powered USB hub. (moreover, with laptop windows provides options to reduce power for some usb devices in order to save the battery and I have no idea how it is managed by windows for the CRI devices)
Gordon Fraser likes this.

Last edited by alex_t; 03-12-2016 at 12:32 AM.
post #292 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, I do not think the low level readings are 'bad meter readings'.
I just think the display has low gamut at low luma levels.
This is very normal for many displays.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #293 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post
Hello.

I have a good experience with CR-100 that I can share with you today.

The CR-100 needs to be powered as it is specified for USB otherwise the measurements at low level can be disturbed. If you are using a poor USB cable or an USB cable with a length greater than the length of the cable coming with the CR-100 (from Colorimeter Research) you should add a powered USB hub in between the end of this cable and the CR-100.

Before you send your CR-100 for checking : can you check if your problem can be solved just by adding a powered USB hub like this : your PC > USB hub cable > USB hub powered > CR-100 USB cable > CR-100.

The best way to test is very simple : measure the patch 0,0,0, when you get a stable measurement, put your hand in front of the CR-100 to hide totally the light : if the CR-100 is right powered you should obtain either a measurement error or very very low value otherwise (CR-100 is wrong powered) you should obtain no value changing. Test without and with a powered USB hub.

Now I use systematically an USB powered hub, I have tested UBS2 and USB3, both work well with CR-100. I do the same with my CR-250RH.

Note : without a powered USB hub, the CR-100 behaviour depends on the PC it is plugged. It is not an issue with the CR-100. When the PC provides a good and strong USB voltage, there is no issue at all. I have tested 3 different laptops with CRIapp to make my conclusion. It's why I recommend you to use systematically a powered USB hub. (moreover, with laptop windows provides options to reduce power for some usb devices in order to save the battery and I have no idea how it is managed by windows for the CRI devices)

That's unbelievable Alex. My Windows7 computer has a feature called USB Selective Suspend which places a single USB port in low-power mode, even when the laptop is plugged in. I just read that this feature can fail to wake up the USB device in some cases. It's a feature I can disable.

Unfortunately I sent the meters to Colorimetry Research yesterday and will have to wait for their return. If it is the USB port power setting, the problem will still be there when the meters get back, so I will have a chance to test out that theory soon.

Also happen to have a brand new and unused power hub stored in the closet and ready for use.

Thank you for your suggestion.
alex_t likes this.
post #294 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is the result.

Steve

I just downloaded the PDF report and I see what you were saying. Took a few seconds with the same 'Not Responding' message, but it worked out. Presentation looks very nice by the way.

Maybe you should change that to 'downloading'.

Last edited by Pres2play; 03-12-2016 at 03:07 AM.
post #295 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the best method for post the PDF file here? Convert it to image first?
post #296 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just downloaded the PDF report and I see what you were saying. Took a few seconds with the same 'Not Responding' message, but it worked out. Presentation looks very nice by the way.
Glad you like the PDF presentation.
With the next build you will be able to select which graphs/data to include in the report.

I have to reiterate that I do not think you have any issue with your CR-100.
I just think your display has a low gamut when the luma levels are low.
This is very normal.
See: http://www.lightillusion.com/calibra...omparison.html
Look at the 2nd set of CIE charts, where the gamut triangle function is used to step through each luma level of the profile - you can see the gamut gets smaller at lower luma levels.
The Gamut Triangle option is very useful to check things like this.

You can also see that the 'colour temperature' of the display tends towards blue/cyan.
This is also very common with many displays.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf.png
Views:	38
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1309385  
alex_t likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #297 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Either convert to an 'image' format, or make a lower quality pdf - we export a high-quality pdf, so it is too large to upload here...

Steve
Pres2play likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #298 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Hi, you can convert it to images if you can't attach the PDF here, or use a free file hosting service provider like TinyUpload.com for example to upload the PDF and post here the download link.
Pres2play likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #299 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone having trouble viewing the attached thumbnail images lately? When I click on the thumbnail, I get a dark bar with nothing in it. The only way to remove the blank image is to exit the site.
post #300 of 436 Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad you like the PDF presentation.
With the next build you will be able to select which graphs/data to include in the report.

I have to reiterate that I do not think you have any issue with your CR-100.
I just think your display has a low gamut when the luma levels are low.
This is very normal.
See: http://www.lightillusion.com/calibra...omparison.html
Look at the 2nd set of CIE charts, where the gamut triangle function is used to step through each luma level of the profile - you can see the gamut gets smaller at lower luma levels.
The Gamut Triangle option is very useful to check things like this.

You can also see that the 'colour temperature' of the display tends towards blue/cyan.
This is also very common with many displays.

Steve

It's easy to see each luma level using the up/down arrows. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page