LightSpace 3D LUT Home Cinema Calibration Software - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #751 of 892 Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
The reason all the broadcast OLEDs are using the same white point offset, is because they're all using the same Sony RGB OLED panels, Sony came up with this offset to make their OLEDs match BVM CRT's. So it became the standard white point used on RGB OLED broadcast monitors. Using an alternative white point on a LG Oled in a home environment, is completely pointless. Calibrating to d65 looks completely normal. It doesn't look green like on an RGB Sony OLED panel.
u don't have to explain that to me, I commented because u write confusing and contradicting statements. just read exactly what u wrote in ur post that I commented on. that shows that either u are misinformed, confused or never calibrated these particular screens.

in a color critical grading environment, the screens need to match (minus the differences due to display technology). what u wrote is plain wrong.

and naturally the exact same logic applies to HT, whether u have 1 or 20 screens in the same room... because all calibration serves the same purpose.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: CR-250, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 892 Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I will have to disagree with you Tyler. What you imply can be said for any standalone display. The LG OLEDs do need an offset. The only thing you have to do is get another display... like a plasma or non quantum dot/nano crystal LCD, fully calibrated of course, with full field/windowed white patterns and you will see the difference.

WOLED (LGD panels) have almost the same SPD as White LED backlit LCDs, so unless you've been using an offset for those for the last 8+ years for home theater calibrations, then I don't understand the argument?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #753 of 892 Old 03-18-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
WOLED (LGD panels) have almost the same SPD as White LED backlit LCDs, so unless you've been using an offset for those for the last 8+ years for home theater calibrations, then I don't understand the argument?
You don't understand the arugument? Which WLED would you like to discuss? Or do you feel all are equal and none have a problem? Watch out.....Slippery slope!

Does your dismissal have anything to do with the business of selling generic offsets to consumers? I hope not.

I can remember a time when the consensus was doing saturation sweeps did not make sense on consumer displays.... up until a certain LED LCD was exposed at an event by yours truly showing why it needs to be done. Today it is standard in calibration workflows, reviews, etc.

More sooner than later we will be face to face again. Perhaps we can compare notes at that point.

post #754 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 661
The reality is performing a 'Perceptual' calibration, even just as a check, will prove one way or the other the level of accuracy of any OLED, or any display for that matter - especially those with Metamerism issues, compared to a known visual standard.

It also shows that Judd offsets do not always work, as FSI discovered when trying to use Sony's suggested values on their (FSI's) OLEDS that use Sony glass. This was why, in partnership with FSI, we developed the 'Perceptual' approach to OLED calibration.

Arguing otherwise is a waste of time.

(Note: When Sony first attempted to deal with metameric failure of their OLED displays they released a set of chromaticity xy offset values, that ranged from -0.001, -0.009, through -0.004, -0.013, depending on the probe used, and alternative display technology to be matched to. Later Sony reduced these values to a single set of xy offsets - x=-0.006, y=-0.011. None work accurately. See: http://www.lightillusion.com/percept...our_match.html
What does that tell you about OLEDs and Metameric Failure?)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #755 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

in addition to what Steve has posted, just for clarification as the term "Judd" is often used in various contexts:

the very best approach for OLED is to use a Judd modified white point, when creating cLUTs for OLED. Do NOT use global probe offsets or a global Judd offset in the screen (if available).

Use a Judd modified white point (0.3067, 0.3180 for example), when creating the cLUT, by using a custom target color space.

The results are very, very good.

I would NOT recommend using a custom white point obtained by personal perceptual match. Forget this. U will be fooling urself tenfold.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #756 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
...snip..... Do NOT use global probe offsets or a global Judd offset in the screen (if available).
Mike.....could you elaborate on that?

Are you saying to just use the alternate whitepoint but not to adjust x,y for RGBCYM by the amount of the offset?

Last edited by JimP; 03-20-2017 at 05:08 AM.
post #757 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Mike.....could you elaborate on that?
it's what Steve referred to. The Judd probe offset approach was used initially with not so good results. Some OLED screens have an internal option to apply a Judd offset to the signal (not sure if consumer OLEDs have that).

Don't use either of those options.

Use a custom OLED white point when targeting for example Rec 709 (when creating the cLUT), which will replace D65, and therefore be a custom color space. all other color space data (R|G|B coordinates and gamma) stay the same.

the question is what the very best OLED white point is for specific consumer OLEDs from certain manufacturers. The quality and response of the panels can vastly differ here.

I would definitely start off as a first attempt with the WP coordinates I posted above.
JimP likes this.

post #758 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All 'Judd' or otherwise offsets are based on personal perception...
The best OLED calibration you will attain is simply by following the instructions within the 'Perceptual Colour Match' user guide: http://www.lightillusion.com/percept...our_match.html

The issues caused with using any 'suggested values' is why this guide exists.
Suggested values just do not work!

Do NOT use any suggested value from anyone else - the chances of them working for your specific display are basically zero!

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #759 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
LightSpace CMS 7.1.8.2555 (16 March 2017) has been released.

As is usual for Light Illusion's continued development process for LightSpace CMS a raft of new developments have been released.

Release Notes

Added EclairColor HDR colour space standard.

Added ACEScc and ACESproxy.

Fixed a bug with saving new colour spaces introduced in last build.

Download Link
sillysally likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #760 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
All 'Judd' or otherwise offsets are based on personal perception...
The best OLED calibration you will attain is simply by following the instructions within the 'Perceptual Colour Match' user guide: http://www.lightillusion.com/percept...our_match.html

The issues caused with using any 'suggested values' is why this guide exists.
Suggested values just do not work!

Do NOT use any suggested value from anyone else - the chances of them working for your specific display are basically zero!

Steve
as this has been already discussed on other Pro forums, I will keep it short here:

the WP coordinates I posted were derived by Minolta in cooperation with Sony in a bit more scientific way. They were not eyeballed. Everybody using high end OLEDs uses these. And the WP works perfectly.

Like I said a gazillion times, I match my OLEDs to LCDs and Plasmas 99.9% - the ONLY difference is display technology. The OLED is always the reference, meaning it can be calibrated almost perfectly.

Matter of fact, ANYBODY in a post pipeline here in LA or elsewhere needs to use the SAME wp offset in order to match color display on OLED screens - at least when using similar OLED panels. Naturally, this is why everybody in post does it. Anything else is absolutely idiotic, and will never fly with any of the post houses. Never.

Anybody not understanding this, read my last 3 posts. THAT is how it is.

Custom WP offsets - obtained by personal perceptual matching - are the very last resort (will not be accepted in a professional post pipeline). I've done and tried plenty of time, u know it because we talked about it. The results were inconsistent and bad. The workflow itself - that includes the one posted on ur website - is so majorly flawed and has so many traps of human vision or the "D65 ref screen" playing tricks on u, that it is a huge waste of time. Understand what u're actually doing and u will know how flawed this approach is.

And u will find out very quick when other people with a different set of eyeballs tell u that the picture looks contaminated.

Now, in a single HT environment that is not in a post chain one can do whatever. But, I would for sure use a common WP offset if there is one for ur OLED panel, because that puts u on the same target as everybody else. Which is the whole point of calibration.

And like I said, the very best way of verifying a custom color space target (using a custom white point), is to compare the OLED panel (calibrated to the custom color space) with a LCD or Plasma panel calibrated to standard color space with default WP (e.g. D65). Side by side, showing same image. Disregard the technology differences.

FSI recommends exactly what I'm writing here, they do not recommend using a custom personal WP.

post #761 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Hi Mike.

So you are saying your posted "wp offset" are good for the LG OLED EF9500.???

Link to your posted 'wp offset', please. Or are these the offsets you are using 0.3067, 0.3180.???

Thanks,
ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Last edited by sillysally; 03-20-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #762 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is FSI's own White Paper on the subject...

http://flandersscientific.com/tech-r...htSpaceCMS.pdf

And this how they factory calibrate their OLEDs, with LightSpace CMS.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Last edited by Light Illusion; 03-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #763 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:

And this how that factory calibrate their OLEDs, with LightSpace CMS.

Steve
The offsets I got last night using your way are. y. 0.2955 and x. 0.3081. Couldn't save them because of the bug in LS, but now I see you have fixed that.

You really have the best CS of any of the calibration software's I have used.

btw, I used spacematch to set my video card with.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Last edited by sillysally; 03-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #764 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And this how they factory calibrate their OLEDs, with LightSpace CMS.

Steve
Mate..... first off, u know I'm in direct contact with them. It is exactly how I wrote it.

Second, have u actually looked at the white paper....... look at the WHITE POINT being entered (in the red square)... anything in particular that catches ur eye when u look at the numbers... ?

oh yeah, those are the coordinates I posted.... what a coincidence ;-))))))

post #765 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I was very annoyed that bug slipped through.
It was only out there for a couple of days, but that really was a couple of days too many!

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #766 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All I can do is reiterate exactly as has been posted in FSI's White Paper, and on our website.
We developed that approach together, and that is how FSI calibrate their OLEDs.

Please remember that all CMFs are perceptually generated, including CIE.

Using fixed values for different OLEDs will not work!
(Especially when different glass is used by different manufacturers.)
That cannot be argued with.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #767 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

FSI uses the WP coordinates I posted, in exactly the fashion I described. NOT any differently.

Anybody in LA on high end OLEDs does exactly what I wrote.

The numbers posted - which are the ones they on purpose display in the white paper - were derived by Minolta using a specific workflow and using high end spectros. Not by eyeballing and not by guessing.

Different OLED panels (meaning different manufacturers) may need different offsets to compensate for manufacturing differences, but in best case scenario all OLEDs use the same offset.

Obviously, if anybody who has an OLED would create their own custom, personal offset then they would uniquely contaminate their calibration, which would make this an infinite amount of calibration targets amongst OLED users that do not match.

That is exactly what calibration is NOT.

How in the world this is not clear, is mind boggling. Calibration is about calibrating to a common target so that devices match as good as possible.

Re CIE: the sample size used for CMFs were much larger (for obvious reasons) and clearly never a single person - to match general human vision as good as possible.

A single person using a custom personal offset to contaminate their calibration is the absolute opposite of that. It will never match what the next person (using the exact same OLED panel) will come up with.

post #768 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please do use a larger group size to determine the best OLED offset values - that is always a good idea..
You will still find the results do not match a single set of values for different OLEDs, specifcally RGB based OLEDs vs WRGB OLEDs, just as Tyler said.
I fully agree with him there.
With displays from the same manufacturer, using the same glass a singe set of values will most likely be ok...

But, the offset values FSI show in their White Paper are just the default Sony values, as they had to use something as an example.
They ARE NOT the values used in their final calibration, as they use the values generated via the approach outlined in their paper.
(Why generate such a paper if you are just going top use the Sony values?)
As stated a number of times, the Sony values do not work for Sony OLED glass, and will most definitely NOT work for LG WRGB OLED glass.

All display calibration needs to visually match - that is the idea of 'absolute' calibration.
The same colour looks the same (as close as is technically possible), regardless of the display.

This is very easy for anyone to test - just try both approaches and see which gives the best final calibration.
(It will not be the Sony Judd values...)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #769 of 892 Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Steve,

the problem is u don't use OLED, u don't grade on OLED and u don't calibrate OLED, and u're based off old, outdated information.

The values I posted (and the value shown in the white paper) are NOT (!!!) "Sony" values. I explained this now 10 times, and the reason why I have to post here so that other peeps don't get incorrect info from other posts in this thread.

Whatever it is that Tyler said or meant is unknown, because none of us knows if he understands any of the proper Pro level implementation when it comes to post or specifically OLED. Repeating something generic that was said 5 years, that is completely outdated means nothing. The other things he said is plain wrong.

The probe offsets YOU posted were old Sony attempts. Those are global probe offsets, they were inferior. That is very different to what I posted.

The custom white point I posted was derived by Minolta (in cooperation with Sony) using high end spectros and matching Judd CMF displays to standard CMF displays. It is NOT (!!!) a "Sony" white point. It is a Judd derived custom white point - derived in a as scientific as possible fashion - that works perfectly, for the Sony and FSI panels.

Understand this please. Everybody calibrating these panels uses that white point. And it works beautifully. Again, don't use it in the global screen offsets (FSI panels have that option), u need to target the cLUT with a custom color space.

Re sample size for custom white point: see, now u're getting it. which contradicts what u advocated before: single person perceptual calibration contamination. And we discussed all of this before on LGG. Nothing has changed.

Obviously, the problem with "Please do use a larger group size to determine the best OLED offset values - that is always a good idea" is that none of the LG OLED people here (Jim, Peter etc) have a proper environment... are they 2 deg / 10 deg... ? proper lighting environment ? what is the age of the person ? how good is the person's vision ? and how accurate is the D65 ref screen display that is used ?

if u actually know what CIE did, then u know how complex it is. A bunch of dudes throwing a few values around that they obtained in a super contaminated environment, off angle, with (I can guarantee u this) a non-perfect D65 ref white is a joke....

u'd need a large sample size (ages 20-65) in a proper environment with accurate ref white.

Re FSI: I know in detail what they do. And they don't use single person offset for each panel at the factory (which is obvious). Not that it matters, because I obviously don't use factory calibration.

post #770 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are the Sony suggested values.
See: https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/assetDownloadController/44342641M.pdf?path=Asset%20Hierarchy$Professional$ SEL-yf-generic-153697$SEL-yf-generic-153719SEL-asset-389036.pdf&id=StepID$SEL-asset-389036$original&dimension=original

As it says there, in their own paper:
"If you measure the color temperatures of different display types, such as CRT, LCD, or OLED, by using a common (or general) color analyzer that is based on CIE 1931, and adjust the xy chromaticity to the same value, the appearance may be different because of optical spectrum differences. To compensate for this difference, the D65 and D93 settings of the monitor are adjusted by an offset. The offset value applied (x-0.006, y-0.011) is based on the Judd’s function to the CIE 1931 (x, y) value."

Sony have tried a selection of different values, and these are the latest:
"When Sony first attempted to deal with metameric failure of their OLED displays they released a set of chromaticity xy offset values, that ranged from -0.001, -0.009, through -0.004, -0.013, depending on the probe used, and alternative display technology to be matched to.
In later documentation on the White Balance of BVM and PVM displays Sony reduced these values to a single set of xy offsets - x=-0.006, y=-0.011."

And yes, of course we calibrate OLEDs, as well as all other display types.
We have a very active 'calibration service', as well as having most different display types in our main development office, including FSI OLEDs and LG.

I've just spoken to FSI, and they agree, and will be changing the values in their white paper to "something like 0.xxx, 0.xxx, to get the point across that this data is arrived at in step 5."
(The bit in quotes is FSI's own words, meaning those are not set values, but are arrived at using the process outlined in the white paper.)

Hopefully that is the last word on the subject

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #771 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

oh man, it is really mind boggling having to explain this... to YOU out of all people, mate........ (again)

As I explained, using the Sony probe offsets will lead to inferior results (because globally offsetting the probe on all reads is inherently flawed - THAT is the key here). This approach is not recommended. Useless to quote Sony in outdated papers. You have no point. End results matter, not what Sony published 6 years ago, especially when that never worked properly.

The approach outlined in the FSI white paper - on an abstract level (and slightly improved) - has been done by Minolta, minus the human eyeballing (as that is straight up idiotic), but in a proper test environment with very high-end gear. Their Judd modified white point result is the ONLY thing that works properly on these panels (Sony/FSI).

I know because I tested all other approaches (and it is now clear as day that u have not). And it's the exact same thing that FSI ended up with. I know that for a fact, face to face discussed many times over with FSI. Actually, they were the ones who told me to try this very approach after I initially went a different route (perceptual bull****).

I have no idea who you "just spoke to" at FSI because they are all asleep, but it doesn't matter because I know what they do and what they think about this. Not that it matters, because the ultimate proof is the end result - which I have cross compared against all other options - and this is by far the very best result (for these panels). I have zero idea why it is that you're saying what you're saying when all colorists and post houses who use FSI/Sony OLEDs do what I write here. For the very obvious reasons. Matching calibration.

And if u actually calibrate FSI panels, I would love to see your perceptual approach in action. It is hands down idiotic. It will NEVER match anything. Good luck sending your grade over to VFX ;-))))

It's like calibrating your TV by eye. Why do we need probes, cal sw and 3D LUTs then ? ;-))))

as with everything: simply test all approaches and then compare. very easy to see what works. Your approach may look nice to the one person who created the perceptual offset, it will not match other people's vision or traditional and properly calibrated screens and this is why u will never see the Director's intent - or be able to work in a post pipeline.

Last edited by Iron Mike; 03-21-2017 at 02:05 AM.
post #772 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The approach is what FSI use, based on their own white paper.
I really am struggling to see how you fail to understand this?

Sorry!

You cannot calculate an offset for displays with Metamerism issues with a probe only.
Think about it - the probe always needs a set of target values to target.
If you do not know what offset values to enter in the first place, how can the probe give them to you, or give you an accurate calibration?
The only way is to first offset the display so it is displaying the correct white point, and them measure what the new target values are.
There is no other way.

If a 'super-duper' probe could calibrate a display with Metamerism issue to standard CIE target values, you could then use a 'poorer' probe to read back what it now sees as the new target values.
But that would mean all probes would see/need different offset/target values, not a single set of values.
You cannot have one probe that works, and all the rest that don't, but need the same offset - just not technically/physically possible.
Does that help with your understanding?

And while we do prefer to use the new target white point using the new 'xy white point values', rather than 'offset values', the application is basically the same. If it were not, probe matching a Tristimulus to a Spectro would not work.
While one adds the same offset to the 'colours', and the other just to the white point, the inability of the human eye to see such differences in colours makes that a mute point in reality - assuming the calibration process can 'deal' with negative values. (If it can't, the results will fail!)

Subtracting the Sony Judd values from the standard Rec709 xy target white point values gives you the values you have quoted...

And it is Bram I spoke to; the quote is his reply.
(I suspect he is at a show as the moment - probably Cabsat?)

This really is the end of this discussion. I will not partake any further, as I really am just wasting my time.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Last edited by Light Illusion; 03-21-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: additional info
post #773 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

then why don't u ask Bram...

(a) how Minolta/Sony arrived at the result (he knows the details)

and

(b) what the large majority of his OLED customers (working in the Pro field) are using as the wp offset.

;-))))

And I am very certain when I see him again - which will be in 9 weeks - and I'll bring this discussion up, we will both have the same opinion on things.

Fact is, a single person perceptual match calibration in a multi-vendor post pipeline is suicide. Fact is, the Judd modified WP offset derived by Minolta (used in a custom color space) works very well - it matches standard target calibrations just fine.

Fact is, the same procedural approach done by Minolta/Sony could be used to derive Judd WP offsets for OLED panels from other manufacturers, like LG.

Fact is, I've graded now thousands of hours on that FSI (cal'ed with that modified Judd WP) with 2 client screens in the room: VT50 Plasma and a VT60 Plasma (had a Samsung LCD which was replaced by the VT60). Everything matches. I tried 6 perceptual matches before (Bram also helped out on this) and a after a few seconds of footage u will immediately spot the deviation from the other screens.

Fact is, this what many other colorists are doing on their Sony/FSI.

Fact is, I directly contacted you March 2016 about a perceptual match I was asked to do for very well known colleague (I advised against it, but he at that point was drinking the kool aid). I went through this with you step by step to ensure we get best results (which I've never gotten before). And no, it did not work out. Fact is, we then brought Bram into the conversation. Guess what the final consensus was ? No, don't guess, u were part of the conversation just 12 months ago !

Those are real life, practical application results. Not some theoretical idea that has never been put into practice or validated properly.

Last edited by Iron Mike; 03-21-2017 at 03:59 AM.
post #774 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is everyone here who is using Lightspace Connect App for pattern generation? I try to find the perfect xy cordinates which is equal to 10% Window pattern.
post #775 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

35, 35, 30, 30 should give a 10% window.
(Depending on if you are looking for 10% area, or 10% width/height, or even 10% diagonal...)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #776 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A final post, with the latest from Bram at FSI...

"We’ve posted an updated version (of the PDF) to our site that replaces that graphics text with 0.xxxx, 0.xxxx so people don’t blindly copy that over. Those values (0.3067, 0.3180) definitely are not what I would use for the LG OLEDs"

He does add that "For the smaller top-emission OLEDs most users are satisfied with the 0.3067, 0.3180 white balance target".

And also says "Certainly customers are hesitant to perceptually match their reference display to a lower quality display so a very common setup and one users are generally very happy with is to run their OLEDs calibrated via LightSpace with white balance of 0.3067, 0.3180, then perceptually match their client monitor to that OLED".

That I do understand, although it is not the approach we would take, as we know how well the process outlined for 'Perceptual Matching' actually works, and 'cheap LCD displays really do white-point cali9bare very accurately. but I understand some people's hesitancy...

Right, that really is it now. No more.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #777 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thx Steve worked perfect

TV: LG OLED 65E6D Sources: Oppo UDP-203 Video Processor: TruVue eeColor
Probe: C6-HDR profiled by i1Pro2 Software: Lightspace HTL, Calman 5 Enthusiast
post #778 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He does add that "For the smaller top-emission OLEDs most users are satisfied with the 0.3067, 0.3180 white balance target".

And also says "Certainly customers are hesitant to perceptually match their reference display to a lower quality display so a very common setup and one users are generally very happy with is to run their OLEDs calibrated via LightSpace with white balance of 0.3067, 0.3180, then perceptually match their client monitor to that OLED".
well, I'm glad I could help out in our discussion about this for a 3rd time...

another clarification regarding above statement:

client monitors are obviously NOT altered to perceptually match an OLED using the Judd modified WP. The whole point of calibrating an OLED like that is to match standard target calibrated displays like LCD and Plasma.

Again... the point of calibration.

post #779 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
...snip...
So what's considered "smaller top-emission OLED?" Is it an LG OLED? Not trying to be dense but sometimes answers need clarification.

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
post #780 of 892 Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
So what's considered "smaller top-emission OLED?" Is it an LG OLED? Not trying to be dense but sometimes answers need clarification.
smaller sized panels, like 25". The QC/QA can be kept to very high standards. Not so much with large panels, and then consumer panels which are lower price point anyways and lower quality.

But - whole point of me chiming in here was - with Lightspace being modular, and being able to create various LUTs from the same display profile u can try out various approaches.

The 3D LUT cal process for OLED does not differ from standard 3D LUT cals. Just at the very end when u create the cLUT, u'd adjust the color target.

run display profile, then create 3 cLUTs:

(1) use standard color target, e.g. BT1886
(2) use a professionally derived Judd modified WP for the panel in use... if not available, try the one I posted (which was derived on Sony panels) in a custom color space target
(3) use a perceptually derived white point in a custom color space target

in all 3 cases, compare the resulting image on the OLED directly to a standard calibrated display such as LCD or even better Plasma. Plasma has much lower black level and will match the OLEDs very, very closely.... if... the custom white point is good.

simply put on a random movie, stream to both displays simultaneously... look at the moving images and then pause freeze frame and compare. u'll see it.

if u would have a known good, and professionally derived Judd modified white point like #2 , then that would be the very best option.

In a HT environment, where u sit at the end of the chain, if #1 and #2 do not provide good results or not available, u have no other option than #3.

I was asked about this before... I could put up an interface and database on DCT for u LG OLED users and u guys can cross compare ur perceptually derived white points and help each other out or we calculate an average across the sample size... but like I posted before, be aware of the data coming from non-lab environment setups (and all the other factors I posted)

but with LG (or any other consumer OLED), u probably have no other choice if #1 or #2 is not available.
JimP likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page