Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 489 Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
thanks, I do believe that's what the batch file said to do but I found waiting slightly longer (0.5 to 1 second) helps the pattern stabilize on screen before the meter starts to take a reading

on my Samsung F5300 Plasma, patterns take a second or two to settle in, especially with darker patterns when black optimizer is set to dark room
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 08-04-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 489 Old 08-03-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
thanks, I do believe that's what the batch file said to do but I found waiting slightly longer (0.5 to 1 second) helps the pattern stabilize on screen before the meter starts to take a reading

on my Samsung F5300 Plasma, patterns take a second or two to settle in, especially with darker patterns when black optimizer is set to dark room
For example if you have per-configured your meter delay before each read to 1 sec., If you press a key to start the Batch File operation exact when you will see the first frame of the first patch info screen then you will have only that 1 sec. + ~0.1sec delay in total to all the other patch readings. If you are quick, then only your CalMAN pattern delay will count

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #483 of 489 Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
For example if you have per-configured your meter delay before each read to 1 sec., If you press a key to start the Batch File operation exact when you will see the first frame of the first patch info screen then you will have only that 1 sec. + ~0.1sec delay in total to all the other patch readings. If you are quick, then only your CalMAN pattern delay will count

I did it wrong then as I pressed any key when the pattern itself first appears, but this is good news as it means I might be able to use the 6secs series instead of the 10secs. I'll give it a try next time.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #484 of 489 Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I did it wrong then as I pressed any key when the pattern itself first appears, but this is good news as it means I might be able to use the 6secs series instead of the 10secs. I'll give it a try next time.
I'm sure it will work with the 6 sec. per color Chapter.
Manni01 likes this.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #485 of 489 Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
I'm sure it will work with the 6 sec. per color Chapter.
Hi Ted,

I can confirm it works fine with 6s per chapter (without black) when pressing any key as soon as the info for the white patch appears.

I have a couple of requests as well:

- If it's not too much of a hassle, please could you master your disc/files at 23.976hz, like most commercial blurays (including patterns discs), or does it have to be at 24.00hz like a few European discs? I like to calibrate at 23.976hz because that's the refresh rate I'll use 99% of the time when playing HD content. It's also my default refresh rate on my HTPC (to avoid having to switch when playing HD content), so playing your files at 24.00hz forces a refresh rate change, which can take up to 8-10 secs with a JVC+Radiance in the chain. Not a biggy but it would be nice (and more standard).

- Please could you add the primary/secondary colors patches at 100% at the end of the Colorchecker SG measurements? These are there by default in Calman's Colorchecker SG layout, and it's really useful to have them as part of the data. I know that if you want, you can check saturations etc in a separate set of measurements, but it only adds a few seconds and it means we can use the Calman layout with your automatic batch files and get the same measurements to compare with other sets we might have made with another source (PC Client, Radiance, etc).

Other than that, great work, it's really precious to have these batch files when we need to check a calibration that cannot be checked with automated patterns, like with MadVR (until Calman and others decide to support MadTPG as a source).

Well done, and I really encourage others to give it a try. Well worth the effort!

Last edited by Manni01; 08-21-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #486 of 489 Old 08-21-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I can confirm it works fine with 6s per chapter (without black) when pressing any key as soon as the info for the white patch appears.
Thank you for the feedback Manni, I was sure about it since I have a lot of id3 users (which is slower meter than the basICColor DISCUS you used) that are using 6 sec per color patch Automated Measuring capability of CalMAN with the Batch Files.

Quote:
I have a couple of requests as well:

- If it's not too much of a hassle, please could you master your disc/files at 23.976hz, like most commercial blurays (including patterns discs), or does it have to be at 24.00hz like a few European discs? I like to calibrate at 23.976hz because that's the refresh rate I'll use 99% of the time when playing HD content. It's also my default refresh rate on my HTPC (to avoid having to switch when playing HD content), so playing your files at 24.00hz forces a refresh rate change, which can take up to 8-10 secs with a JVC+Radiance in the chain. Not a biggy but it would be nice (and more standard).
Nice question, there will be an out of sync problem if I use 23.976p, It's no problem for other calibration disks that you can use manually choose patterns and they are not based to any automated profiling or measurement capability etc..., my disk is based to time accurate displaying of color patterns the exact time it's required, but this is not possible with frame rates with demicals, because the encoding software is taking commands to display frames per color and not for seconds.

For example to display one color patch for 1 second I put the command to the script to display 24 frames with frame rate of 24p, it doesn't accept numbers of frames with demicals.

It's possible to put a line in script that it says to display one color for 24 frames with 23.976p, the files will be encoded but there will be a problem with timing or syncing of any Chapter of LightSpace Automated Profiling of 1.000/1.021/4.913/4.934/9.216 color points or CalMAN Automated measurements batch file system if I do this, there will be timing errors, I have performed that tests before at summer of 2012, and I got failures at any try of syncing with LightSpace...it failed after displaying some patches.

So the disk fully encoded to 24p to prevent timing errors.

All chapters have framed checked, I have framerate database for each chapter. and checked the whole creation of each chapter with that frame check, I'm not counting seconds, it's about frames and frame rate.

I have choosen 24p frame rate and not 23.976 frames per second because it was not possible to provide any syncing, that was the most important to for me to make the disk to work with perfect syncing.

Quote:
- Please could you add the primary/secondary colors patches at 100% at the end of the Colorchecker SG measurements? These are there by default in Calman's Colorchecker SG layout, and it's really useful to have them as part of the data. I know that if you want, you can check saturations etc in a separate set of measurements, but it only adds a few seconds and it means we can use the Calman layout with your automatic batch files and get the same measurements to compare with other sets we might have made with another source (PC Client, Radiance, etc).
ColorChecker SG Chapter must have only these 96 Color Patches, it's officially described at SpectraCAL's site also:

ColorChecker SG
With the CalMAN 5.1.1 release and later users can now select between the ColorChecker Classic and the expanded ColorChecker SG.

ColorChecker SG has been extended to 96 reference points giving even more detailed view of the display.

These 96 points inclue 13 flesh tones, so you can see at a glance exactly how your display represents this critical color segments.

But you are right, If you open the CalMAN ColorChecker workflow it has as a default the ColorCheckerSG + 100% Saturations selected, but that workflow it doesn't say anywhere that this is a ColorChecker SG measurement, it says just ColorChecker.

ColorChecker SG + 100% Saturations is a mixed measurement run, I will think if there's interest to be added to a upcoming version, but these 4 extra color measurements are included by using any Saturation or Luminance Chapter that most of the users are using as basic measurement runs for a display verification. The most common Chapters that users are running are the 21-Point Grayscale and 4/5-Step Saturations, after these standard measurements 99% of the users are performing by default; they are moving to ColorChecker Classic or SG.

But no problem, I can encode a custom file for you for that at MP4/MKV format...

Quote:
Other than that, great work, it's really precious to have these batch files when we need to check a calibration that cannot be checked with automated patterns, like with MadVR (until Calman and others decide to support MadTPG as a source).

Well done, and I really encourage others to give it a try. Well worth the effort!
This automated measurement system saves a lot of time and moves the calibration experience to a new level since the it will be not required from the user to perform any action (expect the initial action) using with his one hand the blu-ray remote and with the other the mouse to click single measure from software; when his meter has successfully measured each color patch to move or find the next one color patch that the calibration software requests to measure etc.
Manni01 and PlasmaPZ80U like this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.
post #487 of 489 Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Verify x-Point Saturation using Quick Analysis Workflow with Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk:

For 4-Point Saturation / 100% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 100 and set Saturation Sweeps to 25% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

For 4-Point Saturation / 75% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 75 and set Saturation Sweeps to 25% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

For 5-Point Saturation / 100% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 100 and set Saturation Sweeps to 20% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

For 5-Point Saturation / 75% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 75 and set Saturation Sweeps to 20% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

For 10-Point Saturation / 100% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 100 and set Saturation Sweeps to 10% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

For 10-Point Saturation / 75% Stimulus Level: Go to Saturation Sweep layout page, Change the Stimulus Level to 75 and set Saturation Sweeps to 10% Sweeps. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. Go to Workflow Advanced Options and un-tick the Saturation targets use constant luminance.

Verify x-Point Luminance using Quick Analysis Workflow with Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk:

For 4-Point Luminance: Go to Luminance Sweep layout page, set Gamut Ramp Points to 4-Point 25% Step 25-100%. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. (Workflow Advanced Options - saturation targets use constant luminance...doesn't matter if ticked or un-ticked... Stimulus Level value is not interacting that layout page also.)

For 5-Point Luminance: Go to Luminance Sweep layout page, set Gamut Ramp Points to 5-Point 20% Step 20-100%. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. (Workflow Advanced Options - saturation targets use constant luminance...doesn't matter if ticked or un-ticked... Stimulus Level value is not interacting that layout page also.)

For 10-Point Luminance: Go to Luminance Sweep layout page, set Gamut Ramp Points to 10-Point 10% Step 10-100%. About all other settings of the Layout page it doesn't matter where they are. (Workflow Advanced Options - saturation targets use constant luminance...doesn't matter if ticked or un-ticked... Stimulus Level value is not interacting that layout page also.)
BobRiff likes this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-06-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #488 of 489 Old Today, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello, I have just uploaded a new webpage with a lot of detailed instructions about the available Measurement Solutions for Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk users.

These instructions are helpful the for Free Version or Full Version of the disk users.

There a lot of picture examples and text instructions that makes pretty difficult to post all these instructions here, so you have to visit that page:

Measurement Solutions for CalMAN/ChromaPure users using Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk

The Measurement Solutions page is covering the following topics:

1) Importance of calibrating from the actual movie playback source.

2) Semi-Automated Measurements for CalMAN users with details and instructions.

3) Semi-Automated Measurements for ChromaPure users with details and instructions.

4) Automated Measurements Procedure for CalMAN users details, instructions, very detailed example about how the Batch Utility files are working with CalMAN and other notes.
prsut likes this.

post #489 of 489 Old Today, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Ted.

This will be very helpful for novice calibrators like me.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 1150hd 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 1150hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page