Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1231 View Post
Would you recommend just using your free version or would a newbie be able to use your full calibration disk with no prior calibration experience?

Thanks!
Hello, the free version of the disk contains very basic patterns, you can use them to set your contrast/brightness since you don't have a meter.

If you like you can download for the start and burn the AVSHD Calibration Disk which is free and includes a manual and video to get an idea of what you can do with a calibration disk.

The fact is that the 99% of my disk users are coming already from other calibration disks, they are calibration enthusiasts or professionals, with calibration gear etc. so I created this disk without writing any manual with detailed descriptions that can help people which are not involved in display calibration without meter/software. There plans to write something in the future.

Real Calibration without meter/software can't be performed, with a calibration disk you can adjust some basic controls to prevent some problems to be able to get a better picture from any factory default mode.

The largest part of the disk requires a meter/software but since you don't have calibration gear, they can do the following using the full version of my disk (of with similar patterns of AVSHD disk):

You will start by selecting the Cinema / Movie Mode of your display because this mode has always better performance vs. the other modes of you display.

If you have tweaked that mode before find the option to reset this mode at it's defaults.

After that locate and disable any enhancements you see inside Movie Mode Sub-menus like: Reality Creation, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Dot Noise Reduction, Noise Filtering, Detail Enhancer, Edge Enhancer, Super Resolution, Digital Clear View, Live Color, Dynamic Color or Color Enhancer etc.

If you see a Cell Light or Backlight setting; this controls the peak light output of the display, but without a meter you can't set it according to recommendations. If you watch at day probably you need to set that slider at maximum, if you watch at night, reduce it. (but this want a meter/software to set).

The Gamma needs a meter also, if you locate the gamma option set it to 2.4 for night or 2.2 for day.

Go to Pre-Calibration Tools -> Display Setup and select the Advanced Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details). Start reducing the slider until you see no ringing / extra outline on lines the same time we don't want to loose detail, not become blur...

This video will be helpful for Adjusting Sharpness.

If you don't see at the bottom of the pattern the ''Pattern Designed by Ted'', you will need to change the TV's picture size to map 1:1 every pixel placement.

To do this select from your picture sizes, it will probably it's saying 16:9 now... select the Screen Fit or Dot-by-Dot or Just Scan.

Next step is to go to Color Reproduction -> Page 2 and select the Grayscale Ramp Pattern

Using the Grayscale ramp pattern, change the color temperature (warm1,warm2,normal,cool) and select the one you see it look more 'neutral' to your eyes.

If it's blue-ish that means it's too cool , if its red-ish then it's very warm. (but don’t try to fix the RGB Balance based to your eyes and tweak the RGB-High/Low/Gain/Cuts Controls without meter/software.)

After that go to Pre-Calibration -> Display Setup and select the Brightness Pattern...Tthe ideal is to see 17 bar and upper flashing. 16 bar is the reference black and should not be visible (any other flashing bars from 2-16 must be invisible and not flashing. If you have the scenario where by tweaking your brightness slider while you see the 17 bar flashing you see 16 bar flashing also, and with reducing one brightness value you see 18 bar flashing and not 17 bar, sacrifice the visibility of the 17 bar and keep the setting where the 16 bar is entirely invisible.

About how to set Brightness you can look here:

After that go to Pre-Calibration -> Display Setup and select the Contrast Pattern. By looking the contrast pattern adjust the contrast slider...the ideal shade of the flashing bars is neutral/grayish, not with pink/red/green/blue shade. Adjust the contrast until your see the last 253 bar barely flashing. If you see that by reducing a lot the contrast slider, your picture is becoming very dimmed, when adjust the contrast again until you see flashing bar up to 240 max. (You will do this sacrifice to increase your display contrast ratio) Typical commercial movies don't go above 235-237 (movie extras or menu's may have values above reference white, or demonstration videos from reference disks.), don't worry if there no flashing until 253 in that case.

For example look here:

After that go to Color Reproduction -> Page 5 and select the 4-Color Clipping Bars Pattern. Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel (RGB), If the Red/Green.Blue are flashing until 240, then it's OK, if the don't flash, remove -1 from your Color Slider (or more).

This sometimes can be fixed be removing some clicks from the contrast control also.

Doing all the above, you will see some improvement but the next step (with high value for money ratio) will be to buy a good colorimeter, like X-Rite's i1Display PRO and use the free open source software called HCFR, to be able to perform a full calibration, to set correctly your your peak light output, perform RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary/Secondary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. This will require some hours of practicing/reading/testing/ until you find how things works.

There other calibration solutions also you can take a look, CalMAN, ChromaPure and LightSpace CMS or ArgyllCMS.
anta1974, BlueChris and phlogis like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Pat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi there,
@tim : as you can see, there's no other place where you can find so fully detailed answers... Ted is the best and you won't regret any penny for his fully helpful disk !
@Ted : tonight is the night for 1st probe matching with this beautiful i1Pro2 (oh yeah !) and for a 17-Pt cube... Yes, i really have to try that resolution as it's the post-prod industry's default cube...
I read a bit on the advantages of custom color patch sets, do you have plans for such sequences on your Disk ?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck69 View Post
Hi there,
@tim : as you can see, there's no other place where you can find so fully detailed answers... Ted is the best and you won't regret any penny for his fully helpful disk !
@Ted : tonight is the night for 1st probe matching with this beautiful i1Pro2 (oh yeah !) and for a 17-Pt cube... Yes, i really have to try that resolution as it's the post-prod industry's default cube...
I read a bit on the advantages of custom color patch sets, do you have plans for such sequences on your Disk ?
Hi Pat,

I have posted the results of using the 17-Point Cube Chapter of my disk with eeColor + KURO + id3 here: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk

Consumer displays has not so linear tracking to all it's areas, so performing a x-Point profiling sequence grid-based with has equal spaced RGB values will cover all potential colors equally and give the most accurate correction with LightSpace.

There plans to add in the future to my disk 12 or 14-Point Cube DIP Mode Chapters that will help i1d3 users to perform 3D LUT Profiling of their full video signal chain, without using any external pattern generator.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Old 06-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here is a sample of the images needed for the Screen Uniformity test video clip, just to better understand the idea I was thinking of.
  • Color Checker Classic / incl. 100% RGB
  • File names are the RGB triplet values
  • The Black test pattern has all the measurement positions with barely visible outline of patches.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
Old 06-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Here is a sample ............
  • The Black test pattern has all the measurement positions with barely visible outline of patches.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ted,

Have you considered making your patterns/disk available in .png format? Ideally, .apng, but that is not supported on my VideoForge II HDMI. I know that you have asked about that. Wish they would jump onboard and support that. It may not be a cost effective thing for you to do, but at least you would have one guaranteed customer!

Regards,

Joe B
Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974 View Post
Hi, what do you want to check by using these 2 videos?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Here is a sample of the images needed for the Screen Uniformity test video clip, just to better understand the idea I was thinking of.

Hi, this pattern is the Screen Uniformity test from that EBU-TECH 3325 - Methods For The Measurement Of The Performance Of Studio Monitors (September 2008).

I can add this to for the users to check their display's uniformity for Black/ White, but to do the same test for each ColorChecker target is not required since you can't do something to fix these problems you will found by measuring so many colors.

These extensive tests are useful for display manufactures, not for end users.
W3Rman likes this.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Joe View Post
Ted,

Have you considered making your patterns/disk available in .png format? Ideally, .apng, but that is not supported on my VideoForge II HDMI. I know that you have asked about that. Wish they would jump onboard and support that. It may not be a cost effective thing for you to do, but at least you would have one guaranteed customer!

Regards,

Joe B
Hi Joe, the VideoForge II is still not supporting APNG, I have all the Color Reproduction Patterns in PNG format (loss-less) here but without APNG support, all the important patterns with Flashing parts can't be used.

You can ask from developers of VideoForge I or II to add that feature, I think the VideoForge generators are the only external pattern generators that can support custom patterns.

BTW I have asked from DVDO to add capability for custom patterns for AVLab TPG, but with current design it's not possible, but they will release a application for smartphones with MHL where you will be able to connect the smartphone using a MHL cable directly to the AVLab TPG and load custom patterns from there.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dear disk users,

Some instructions for HCFR users that I wanted to post:

From HCFR 3.3.0 or later (free open source calibration software) it's available a simpler way to select any measurement run for Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk users. For full HCFR release notes look here.

Using HCFR 3.3.x with Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk you will be able to measure now all the available chapters from the CalMAN Session of the disk, here is the complete list of the supported chapters:

For Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk (Free Version) users:

CalMAN’s Color Checker Classic (24 Colors)

For Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk (Full Version) users:

ChromaPure's 2/3-Point Grayscale
ChromaPure's 11/21-Point Grayscale
ChromaPure's Color Gamut (100% Saturation w/ 100% or 75% Intensity, 75% Saturation w/ 100% or 75% Intensity)
ChromaPure's 4-Point Saturation with 100% or 75% Intensity (25 Colors)
CalMAN's 4-Point Saturation with 100% or 75% Stimulus Level (25 Colors)
CalMAN's 5-Point Saturation with 100% or 75% Stimulus Level (31 Colors)
CalMAN's 10-Point Saturation with 100% or 75% Stimulus Level (61 Colors)
CalMAN's 4-Point Luminance (28 Colors)
CalMAN's 5-Point Luminance (35 Colors)
CalMAN's 10-Point Luminance (70 Colors)
6-Point Near Black (added support for 0.5% Gray patch measurement)
Dynamic Range Clipping (90/95/98/99%/100%)
CalMAN’s Color Checker Classic (24 Colors)
CalMAN’s Color Checker SG (96 Colors)
CalMAN’s Color Checker SG Fleshtones (19 Colors)
ChromaPure’s Color Checker (25 Colors)
ChromaPure’s Color Checker Skin Tones (19 Colors)

HCFR 3.2.x follows the same pattern order with Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Chapters for any of the above measurement options and the HCFR’s 8-bit RGB Triplets for each pattern are matching exactly the RGB Triplets that the Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration disk has been encoded.

Below you can find the updated list of the total CalMAN and ChromaPure Chapters that any HCFR user can use to take measurements. These Disk Chapters are accurate and match the HCFR's Color Engine Calculations:

Instructions for x-Point Grayscale ChromaPure's Chapters Measurements

Uncheck ''use round down levels" that is located to HCFR ''Preferences'' -> ''General'' Tab. This is affecting only Grayscale measurements.

Instructions for Color Checker/Saturation/Luminance/Dynamic Range/Near Black Chapters Measurements

Before starting the measurements you have to select from HCFR's Preferences -> ''References'' Tab -> ''Color Checker Patterns'' drop down menu list the selection of the measurement run you want to perform.

Select ''GCD'' if you want to measure using ChromaPure’s Color Checker Chapter.

Select ''ChromaPure skin tones'' if you want to measure using ChromaPure’s Color Checker Skin Tones Chapter.

Select ''CalMAN Classic'' if you want to measure using CalMAN’s Color Checker Classic Chapter.

Select ''CalMAN SG'' if you want to measure using CalMAN’s Color Checker SG Chapter.

Select ''CalMAN SG skin tones'' if you want to measure using CalMAN’s Color Checker SG Flesh Tones Chapter.

Select ''CM 4-Point Saturation (100AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 4-Point Saturation (100% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 4-Point Saturation (75AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 4-Point Saturation (75% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 5-Point Saturation (100AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 5-Point Saturation (100% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 5-Point Saturation (75AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 5-Point Saturation (75% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 10-Point Saturation (100AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 10-Point Saturation (100% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 10-Point Saturation (75AMP)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 10-Point Saturation (75% Stimulus Level) Chapter.

Select ''CM 6-Point Near Black'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 6-Point Near Black Chapter.

Select ''CM Dynamic Range (Clipping)'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's Dynamic Range (Clipping) Chapter

Select ''CM 4-Point Luminance'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 4-Point Luminance Chapter.

Select ''CM 5-Point Luminance'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 5-Point Luminance Chapter.

Select ''CM 10-Point Luminance'' if you want to measure using CalMAN's 10-Point Luminance Chapter.

Note: The pattern sequence of CalMAN's 10-Point Luminance is identical to the Color Checker Selection ''RGB Luminance Axis'', so it can be selected from the drop-down menu available @ HCFR's Preferences -> ''References'' Tab.

Note that there differences between the RGB Targets of CalMAN vs. ChromaPure ColorChecker & Skintones or Saturation patterns.

Thanks Zoyd (current developer of HCFR) for adding these selectable measurement options for Ted's LightSpace CMS users of HCFR.
xvfx likes this.

Old Today, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Ted,

thanks again for your outstanding help and response time. I really appreciate it!!
With a "little" help from you and your disc i think i ll make progress (slowly) in getting my display right

Thank you very much so far.

Felix

Tags
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 1150hd 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv