AVS Forum banner

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk

224K views 1K replies 160 participants last post by  Dirk Pajonk 
#1 ·

LightSpace CMS Software at it's current version is not supporting External Pattern Generator, excect CineTAL's DAVIO (5.500$) and Pandora PLUTO (4.000$). (Lumagen it will be supported in a few weeks)

It's using their Internal Pattern Generator using your Notebook HDMI Out (Extended Desktop) to calibrate your target display. This with the proper setup will not produce any problem, but there a lot of discusion about inaccurate notebook HDMI Output from other software providers...

BTW there Chapters inside my disk that you can compare your HDMI Output by taking measurements using the Disk Chapter vs. HDMI Out, so you can identify if you have done any mistake at your HDMI Output configuration.

To solve all these possible problems, I have created a Blu-Ray Disk that it syncs with LightSpace to perform Automated 10-Point Cube or 17-Point Cube Calibrations with only a Single Mouse Click!

The disk has been tested by myself over 10 times and there is not any problem. I gave a test version disk out to the LightSpace Evaluation Team also.

If you are intersted by playing your films via your specific Blu-Ray Player it is always best to use that Disk as the patch generator, as the calibration will account for any inaccuracies in the image path, including any inaccuracies with the Blu-Ray Player.

BluRay Pattern Disk will always be the most accurate source to calibrate a Home Theater Chain (Source-TV or Source-connected throu AV-TV).

Think you have the best reference pattern generator of the world (10.000$) and you calibrate a TV Set.

The problem is that the Consumer Player are not so accurate so it will distort the final calibration because of their inaccurate output.

These are examples of Consumer Blu-Ray Players that tested using Quantum Data HDMI Analyser:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/september-2011/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-blu-ray-player/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-hdmi-benchmark-tables-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/november-2011/lg-bd670-blu-ray-player/lg-bd670-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/december-2011/samsung-bd-d6500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d6500-hdmi-analysis-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/july-2011/samsung-bd-d5500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d5500-hdmi-test-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/june-2011/sony-bdp-s580-blu-ray-player/sony-bdp-s580-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

As you see , all players are changing the signal at their output, so calibrating using a Ted's Calibration Disk is the most accurate way of calibrating a consumer setup, calibrating and correcting errors to the whole chain.

I'm performing 3D-Cube Calibrations for one month already using my LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, The software has a mode that is used mainly at professional post-facilities - DI (Digital Intermediate, SDI-HD connection etc.) grading system to play the patches in a very similar way, again calibrating the whole image chain - that you can select the time that each pattern is displayed, this is called DIP mode in LightSpace.

So after tons of work, i have create a disk that is sync perfect with LightSpace Software with a very simple way as you have only to click 'ok' with your mouse at LightSpace window to start the measurements the same time while at your TV screen you see the countdown's last frame.

There's 10-Point Cube (1000 Colors) Chapters inside the disk and 17-Point Cube (4913 Colors) Chapters also, with time per color selection of 3sec (For Klein Meters) 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...........

To find out which time chapter is for your display there is a Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter that displays the darkest colors of the selected LUT resolution and LightSpace tells you what reading was the longest, so it's very easy to decide ..... As you know measuring Dark Colors with a meter is taking more time, so this Finder Chapter is critical to find out with your current meter settings to your current measuring display the exact time it takes to read the Darkest Color. Incorrect setting will drive the whole operation out of sync...

For iD3 from my test using Pioneer KURO with the deepest black as Dark readings takes longer time, the correct time for me was 6 sec per color. That means 1000 color for 1 hour 40 minutes and 4913 colors for 8 hours and 11 minutes by iD3, if you have Klein then you will need 4 Hours for 4913 Colors (using 3 sec, Chapter).

Of cource if you use LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator these times are shorter.

This is an example of measuring the Final LUT loaded to my eecolor after performing a 17-Point Cube Calibration using my Disk.

As i have write to previous posts, professional industry software like LightSpace, THX CineCube and TrueLight, they don't have any dE report, they calculate the corretion LUT preventing problems that can appear by extreme corrections, they fix what it can be fixed without producing new problems to the image, so there is no need to check the dE of 4913 colors after the profilling......

I have add also some very good patterns, not available anywhere, to verity the Final LUT for Distortion or other color problems, you can identify with these patterns also if your TV's Controls are introducing any error (banding etc.) while you are using them... with my Patterns

If you need to Verify The Final LUT using our popular CalMAN 5, i have added 11+21-Step Grayscale, 4+5 Step Saturation, 4-5 Step Luminance, Color Checker Chapters that are made by the Exact RGB Triplets that CalMAN requests each pattern. These Chapters can be used for manual calibration also.

The Pattern Size i used is 640x360px, 11.11% Window Size, the Same Size as Lumagen Large Windows.

Disk is encoded using 24p framerate.

* UPDATE: 23 October 2013 - The Disk has been released here: www.displaycalibrations.com

Disk Release Notes has been added here also.

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaxe  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/30#post_23360513

thanks a lot ConnecTEDDD!

so the above mentioned stucking readings I got with the C6 are caused by the dynamically adjusted exposure time and CM. And this can not happen with LS as the integration time is set manually. Am I right?

LightSpace has a feature for iD3 users that is not available at any other software I have used.

You can now manually set the integration time to any value....1.56....2.32...etc with editing the integration time value box, rather than using the LightSpace Intergration Time Slider.

This, according to X-Rite, will help with plasma profiling.

So, if you know the PWM Rate of the source you can set the integration time exactly... to do this:

1. Set the integration time to be an integer multiple of the PWM frequency of the corresponding display.

2. So, as an example, in PWM-based Display (Pioneer KURO with 24p signal), the frequency of the panel is 71.93Hz (PureCinema In Advance Mode) so the integration time should be an integer multiple, i.e., n*1/71.93Hz so if n were 100 then we obtain the following:

integration time to be = 100*1/71.93 = 1.39 seconds.

The more accurate you set, the better will be the results, gaining more stable repeatability...

If you need to practice with different integer multiplier, there is a Measure & Log feature of LightSpace that it exports to an Excel file all your readings, xyY + the actual meter measuring time in ms. of each reading (3800ms, 5430ms.. etc).

#54 ·
Here is a Preview of the 144 Color Reproduction Patterns (6 Pages of 24 Patterns per Page) that are already encoded for my Disk that will come out to public (free) the next month.

* Scaled Preview Pictures from Actual 1920x1080 pixel Patterns.

#55 ·
Verify Calibration Tools Screens. You will be able to Verify the 17-Point Cube (4.913 Color Points) Calibrations Produced with LightSpace Software and this Disk a Source for these 4.913 Patterns (Auto-changed without any user prompt - except the initial Sync.) using LightSpace Quick Profiling Patterns or CalMAN 21-Step Grayscale / 10-Step Luminance/Saturation, ColorChecker SG etc. or by ChromaPure 21-Step Grayscale / 5-Step Luminance/Saturation and Color Checker Also.

All CalMAN/ChromaPure Patterns are based to each software engine exact RGB Triplets.

#56 ·
All Chapters and Chapter Description Screens are ready and encoded, I'm moving to Encore the next week for the final stage. 13GB are the M2TS Files so far.

There will be 2 Versions of the Disk:

1) Blu-Ray ISO Disk (Single Layer Blu-Ray Disk will Required)

2) Media Player Edition with All Chapters at seperate Video Files (Video Level 16-235 Patterns... Data Level 0-255 Pattern will come later)

No Plans for AVCHD Disk because of the project high capacity (~13GB Space)

#57 ·
All Pattern Preview Screens and Each Pattern Description Notes will be available online for quick reference, also a 5sec description screen will be displayed before the start of each selected pattern.

Here is an example of the notes you will see before each pattern, to know exacly what you will expect to see.

Black is 16.16.16 at the above pattern preview, you will experience a black washout to your PC Display because is created for Video Levels (16-235).

#58 ·
WOW, great job Ted.

I don't have a Blu Ray burner, but may just have to get one for your disc. Of course I will be using your disc for LightSpace.

Thanks,

ss

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/30#post_23560087

WOW, great job Ted.

I don't have a Blu Ray burner, but may just have to get one for your disc. Of course I will be using your disc for LightSpace.

Thanks,

ss

Thanks SS, I'm using an Unfinished Version or my Disk from December 2012 to perform AutomaTED 17-Point Cube Calibrations without user prompt using my Blu-Ray Player as a Pattern Source with 100% Success, It's time for all the users to gain this access to this great free capability that is currently available only for LightSpace users.

When Other software solutions will improve their AutoCals to take only 1 meter read for each color point: 4.913 Colors = 4.913 Meter Reads (Like LightSpace does from 2009) Then I will add support for other software solutions.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/30#post_23560900

When will your disk be available for us LightSpace owners?

Bob, I believe it will be ready until Mid-August.

#62 ·
Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Layout Update

I have added the required Patterns to support CalMAN's Dynamic Range Measurements:

For Clipping: 90%-95%-98%-99% Gray, 100% White

For Clipping with Peak: 90% Gray, 100% White, 105%-107%-108%-109% Above White

Each Chapter Preview Window Now Displays the exact Order of the Patterns Sequence.

#63 ·
Some Last Minute Pattern Additions.....

Some users are experiencing difficulties to set and see shadow detail to their setups so I decided to design these 2 patterns today.

Advanced Brightness Flashing Bars + Advanced Contrast Flashing Bars.

These 2 Patterns are based to design of the AVSHD Disk Contrast-Brighness Flashing Bar Patterns but the Gray Bars are replaced with 7 Color Gray+RGBCMY Bars.

This makes more interesting the choice for the correct value of your Contrast-Brightness Setting of your display.

#64 ·
Dang. Won't be long & you'll be moving to a 4k medium.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23622303

Dang. Won't be long & you'll be moving to a 4k medium.

lol. Patterns Data's are Vector Graphics so in a few minutes I can export to any size... 4K... 8K...

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/30#post_23256492

Just a Quick Update...

I was busy lately, with no so much free time to complete it but we are too close now, Encoding is slowing down and it takes a lot of time.

Currenly the disk ISO is 16GB and will be Blu-Ray ISO only. No Plans for AVSHD disk.

I have update the menu layout and it includes 10-Step Saturations + Luminance Patterns based at CalMAN's Targets.

Color Checker Classic - SG - SG Skintones has been encoded and tested already.

Some modifications to LightSpace Hybrid Mode pattern order due to our Internal LigthSpace Testing will need some new encoding.

Shame. :/

Looks like I'll need to get a Blu-Ray burner.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23622309

lol. Patterns Data's are Vector Graphics so in a few minutes I can export to any size... 4K... 8K...
I know. I was speaking in terms of size of the disc!

#68 ·
Bad News..... New Delay.....

Adobe Encore i'm using to author the disk has a limitation of 18 Maximum Buttons per Menu Page, So all my Menu Design was based on 30-40 buttons per page, this means that I have start already the menu redesigning to fit each menu screen to this Encore Spec. Limitation....

BTW that 18 menu buttons for 16:9 Menu Screen was an old DVD Spec that Adobe followed for the Blu-Ray Specs also, this is an Encore limitation only.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23642570

Hi Ted,

What version of Encore are you currently using?

Ryan

CS6

From The CS6 Manual:

Number of buttons: Include no more than 36 buttons for a fullscreen (4:3 aspect ratio) menu or 18 buttons for a widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23642597

CS6

From The CS6 Manual:

Number of buttons: Include no more than 36 buttons for a fullscreen (4:3 aspect ratio) menu or 18 buttons for a widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio.

Gotcha. I'm using CS6 as well...but not nearly as many buttons on one menu page as you!
 Good info! Lookin' good though...can't wait for the release!

Ryan

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23642617

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk/60#post_23642597

CS6

From The CS6 Manual:

Gotcha. I'm using CS6 as well...but not nearly as many buttons on one menu page as you!

Good info! Lookin' good though...can't wait for the release!

Ryan

Yeap, i was aware of this limitation, I noticed that problem when I import all my menu pages with 'button ready' psd files (after weeks of work). It was a very bad feeling..... believe me....

#74 ·
Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Notes - How To Setup Your Meter / Find The Correct DIP Mode Chapter For Your Setup

Intergration of Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk with LightSpace Software for Automated Quick Profiling / 10-Point Cube / 17-Point Cube Profilings without user prompt, How is this possible?

LightSpace is using 2 modes to display and measure the Patches of your SelecTED Cube Size:

Closed Loop Mode: Where the probe dictates the timings per patch, with bright patches measured much faster, darker ones need more time to be measured, So with Closed Loop Mode you can use the LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator using you Notebook HDMI Output (with proper setup) or to use Lumagen Radiance Series as External Hardware Pattern Generator.

DIP mode (Display Independent Profiling): This mode uses a fixed time of displaying each color patch. Since the LightSpace is using the method of measuring only one time each color point, the patch sequence is fixed for each Cube Size, So My Disk is based to this fixed color point (patch) measuring order...

Example of DIP Mode:

If you select the 5sec DIP mode, each patch is displayed for exact 5sec before it goes to the next color. LightSpace has a fixed internal delay of 0.5 sec (500ms) which gives command to your meter to read each patch 0.5sec after it’s been displayed via Lumagen or via HDMI Out or via my Disk.

If you want to add some extra delay time before each Patch Measurement, LightSpace has add a Selectable bar you can add any additional time you want, and LightSpace adds your extra time selection to the 0.5sec fixed internal delay.

Example: If you select Extra Delay Time of 0.5sec, then the total delay you will have in total will be 1.0 sec (1000ms) before any meter read.
(This is something I requested from LightIlusion to Add it as a feature @ December 2012, to help Plasma Profilings for more stable measurements)

Plasma displays can benefit from adding an Extra Delay Time before each measurement; it's useful for the panel to have more stable presentation of each pattern.

How to Find Out which DIP mode can be used for your display/meter?

To find out which DIP Chapter of my disk is required for your current display settings / meter settings, you have to use the Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter of my disk which it displays the darkest colors of the selected LUT resolution and you need to measure these patches to find out which is the correct DIP mode Chapter you will need for your display profiling.

As we know, meters require more time to measure a low luminance color (Dark Patches) and also they can read faster a brighter color patch (With more Luminance).

The time it takes for your meter to read the Darkest Color Patches of your selecTED LUT Size is something that you need to take some measurements to find out the max time in xxx ms that will be required.

LightSpace has a feature called Measure & Log.

By Selecting this, you will be prompt to enter a File Name, for Example you can type ''5% Red'' and after clicking ok, the LightSpace will take continuous readings of the pattern you are displaying, as long time as you want, to stop this , press ‘’Stop Measurement’’...

After doing that, a ‘5% Red.cvs’’ file will be created and you will be able to open it with Excel to see the xyY Readings and the time it took for your meter to read this patch.

(This Measured & Log Mode is something I requested from LightIllusion to Add as a feature @ December 2012, while I was trying to find out a way to use the DIP Mode to by synced with My Disk)

This is an example of the CVS file Data contents:

Here you can see the exact time it took to read the 5% Red of my KURO, with my iD3 (I have selected 1.5sec Intergration time).

This is a good way to find out and set your Meter Intergration Time, by checking the repeatability of any patch, and compare 2-3 different Intergration time settings (1sec. 1.25sec, 1.50sec…etc..) to find out which setting have more stable and repeatable xyY measurements.

IMPORTANT DETAIL: Enabling Average Low Light Measurements IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE USED WITH MY DISK! Avoid this Low Average Feature because the meter is reading more that one time the same patch (probably it will take 15-40 sec to return a single xyY number)

After you have decided about your Meter Settings, by selecting the Intergration Time and the Display Type (for colorimeters only), you have to spend a few minutes to take some measurements using my Disk’s Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter.

Example: By Selecting the 17-Point Cube Time per Patch Finder Chapter, you will see this introduction screen..

Here you are able to see the Pattern Order Sequence.

Before each displayed pattern there a notification screen which displays what pattern it will be displayed… so when you will see that 5% Red Info Screen, click Measure and Log... and enter ‘5% Red’ as a file name, to collect data about any measured color.

You have to do this for all the 5% RGBCMY+Gray+Black Patchs to examine later which is the longest meter read with your Current Display Settings.

It’s very important step to keep the Disk-Software Synced during the whole 17-Point Profiling Time.

After you have completed all the required measurements (you will have saved a similar list of measurement files like this one), you have to open each one *.CVS Data File to find the longest in xxx.ms time it took from you meter to read it.

For example if your Longest in time read is 4200ms, add +500ms to this (because LightSpace adds that 500ms internal delay before each reading)…your total max measuring time will be 4700ms… so you will have to use the 5sec DIP mode for your 17-Point Profiling using my Disk.

If you need to add extra additional time of about 1sec, then you can select that from the probe setup window and later select the 6sec DIP mode 17-Point Profiling.

(Because 4200ms+500ms+1000ms will need 5700ms).

Be sure you have disabled any Screen Protection, Auto Stand-by mode or your Blu-Ray Player ‘Screen Saver Mode’ during before any Profiling Run.

How the Sync of Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk with LightSpace CMS Software Works without user prompt for 17-Point Cube Profilings (4.913 Color Points) is working?

To sync the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk played from your Blu-Ray Player with the software it requires ONLY ONE Synced Click from your Notebook Mouse.

My Disk’s DIP Mode Chapters are Starting with a 5 Sec of Chapter Announcement like this one:
(You can check the total chapter time here or from LightSpace software before starting the profiling measurements.)

...A 5sec 'Old Film Like' Countdown with Start, like this one:

And when you see the last frame.....

You have to click 'OK' the LightSpace Start Measurements Confirmation Window - Click 'OK' to start the measurements or press ‘Enter Key’ from your keyboard (I find way this better)

The LightSpace has a PercentageBar you are able to see your progress...

There is not any other user prompt till the end, After the last Color Patch is being measured, the LightSpace is saving that sesssion of measurements automatically and the same time you will see that image at your TV screen: