Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Hi Ted,
It's October....getting close to release?? wink.gif

Thank you for your interest, Disk is finished, our LightSpace Closed Group Team is already using it from 28 September and they have send me some very good feedback.

There a lot of color reproduction patterns (150) inside, you need a lot of time to check them all.

They found some simple text typing errors to 1-2 pattern text information descriptions and I will fix them, and one typing error in a pattern tittle.

Currently I'm working on my new website to support the whole project from there. I need to add some articles with instructions and informations of how you can perform the initial meter/display setup before running the AutomaTED Chapters of 17-Point Cube Profilings.

You can preview my website if you like:

http://www.displaycalibrations.com

The only page that is ready is the Main Page and the 3D Cube Size Comparison Page, all other menu links are not active.

It will be a available a download form to fill and after submiting you will receive the download link to your email address.

Also for those without a Blu-Ray Recorder, It will available an option to order a Blu-Ray Copy of the disk, worldwide delivery.

Also you will be able to order eeColor 3D LUT Box Devices directly from my site, for those who interested... There units in stock right now, I'm will activate store this very soon....

Mid-Next week , The download Form will be ready for all to download the disk. wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #93 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Ted,

thank you for your awsome Work.
I do not own Lightspace /eeBox yet, but want to purchase it very soon.
One question regarding your Disc.
Can it be used to calibrate a Full RGB Display (0-255) with a Full RGB Source ?
Are the patterns on your Disc in the 16-235 Range and thererefore not usable for me ?

Best Regards
post #94 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimithardware View Post

Hi Ted,

thank you for your awsome Work.
I do not own Lightspace /eeBox yet, but want to purchase it very soon.
One question regarding your Disc.
Can it be used to calibrate a Full RGB Display (0-255) with a Full RGB Source ?
Are the patterns on your Disc in the 16-235 Range and thererefore not usable for me ?

Best Regards

Thank you, im sure you will like the whole project, jsut wait till next week for the release.

All the disk Display Characterization Patterns are creaTED by using a Full-Range to Video Range Level Calculations, and all Window Patterns inside the disk has 11.11% Size (exact like Lumagen Radiance Large Window Patters) also all other color reproduction patterns are all based to black 16, and 100% White (235).

After that first disk release,, a Media Player Edition File Version of the disk contents with 16-235 patterns will be created, to be used from media players, SAT (for whose who asked me for that) etc.

The second project will be a premium version of the disk that will have full field and 6.5% (ala THX) window patterns and some new color reproduction patterns.

When all the above projects will be ready, then i will re-design all patterns and chapters to 0-255, full-range as a media player file version.

Note that is you use video patterns from a media player classic for example, it extendes the video range to full range for you.

One friend has compare it and measured the patterns that are generated from LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator vs. my disk played from Media Player Classic with MadVR as a rendered and he got perfect match between these 2 measurements.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #95 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks for your quick response.

What do you personally think regarding the 11% pattern, are they good for a plasma tv (Automatic Brightness Limiter /ABL) or are smaller ones or APL pattern better for that ?
You sure know, that the ABL is a problem with Plasma TVs, as it shifts color and gamma...

I know, that my PS3 would convert the pattern from 16-235 to 0-255 if I output RGB with it, though I don't like too much conversions, so I better wait for your native 0-255 pattern.
Will there be any chance to get the 0-255 pattern on a disc also ?
Because one time I measured MP4 pattern from a USB stick with my PS3 and it outputted uncorrect colors, don't know why, everything was set right in PS3 system options and at the TV.
With discs never had any problems...

Best Regards
post #96 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your quick response.

What do you personally think regarding the 11% pattern, are they good for a plasma tv (Automatic Brightness Limiter /ABL) or are smaller ones or APL pattern better for that ?
You sure know, that the ABL is a problem with Plasma TVs, as it shifts color and gamma...

I know, that my PS3 would convert the pattern from 16-235 to 0-255 if I output RGB with it, though I don't like too much conversions, so I better wait for your native 0-255 pattern.
Will there be any chance to get the 0-255 pattern on a disc also ?
Because one time I measured MP4 pattern from a USB stick with my PS3 and it outputted uncorrect colors, don't know why, everything was set right in PS3 system options and at the TV.
With discs never had any problems...

Best Regards

With Plasma, there no any rule about the window size, it has to do with every display manufacturing design. Some sets have more aggressive ABL mode some others are more stable performance. It's a combination of Power Supply Limitation to control the panel + It has to do with the Temperature of the panel that the Display is reducing it's peak to protect it's circuits from damage. frown.gif

My next version of the disk (previum version / not the free version) will have 6.5% ala THX patterns size, that size THX is using to certificate a plasma display.

BTW, What are you watching at PS3 that you will need 0-255 signal calibration? smile.gif

post #97 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

I play mainly video games with it and sometime watch DVDs.

The reason for Full RGB is the following:
If I output limited yCbCr with the console I have different black levels between games and videos after a calibration.
This happens because games are then downsized from 0-255 to 16-235 and the PS3 cannot convert it correctly with each game.
So videoutput (calibration disc) and games are never exactly the same in this regard.

If I output Full RGB and set Video output also to RGB in PS3 options, then I always have identical blacklevel in videos and games.
I know that my PS3 will convert videos from 16-235 to 0-255 then, but I'll take this compromise rather than look in every game if the black level is correct or not.
Also one good reason is that I can play games in its native RGB Range, which I mainly do with the console.

I hope I wrote clearly enough because english is not my main language smile.gif

Best Regards
post #98 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I play mainly video games with it and sometime watch DVDs.

The reason for Full RGB is the following:
If I output limited yCbCr with the console I have different black levels between games and videos after a calibration.
This happens because games are then downsized from 0-255 to 16-235 and the PS3 cannot convert it correctly with each game.
So videouput (calibration disc) and games are never exactly the same in this regard.

If I output Full RGB and set Video output also to RGB in PS3 options, then I always have identical blacklevel in videos and games.
I know that my PS3 will spread videos from 16-235 then, but I'll take this compromise rather then look in every game if the black level is correct or not.
Also i can play games in its native RGB Range, which I mainly do with the consol.

I hope I wrote clearly enough because english is not my main language smile.gif

Best Regards

There will be always a problem in games, game software developers are using sRGB ColorSpace and 0-255 but they don't follow this 100% of them. Also Games are not following any gamut, it;s not like the bluray moves that we have rec.709 there.

So this makes impossible to have accurate picture in games because the game developers are choosing colors to their uncalibrated monitors that are not real-life tones, just use colors to impress.

The main reason we do all this calibration is to mimic the conditions that the monitors at the Post-Production Facilities had during our movie playback at home.

At games there no standarts to follow.

The reason that i will create the 0-255 media files version of the disk is mainly to be used by Color-Granding Software, to profile from inside each software directly, using their internal player. wink.gif

post #99 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Your post seems to be logical.
I thought that games are also rendered to Rec709 by the game developers.
Isn't sRGB Color Space the same as Rec709 Gamut ?
Let's say if I calibrate to Rec709, wouldn't it make sense if I play games which were rendered correctly to "sRGB" by the developers ?

Though I would like to calibrate the grayscale and gamma correctly.
But this makes me think again to purchase the eeBox / LS, because then there is no need for a 3D Lut system for the color gamut as I can also calibrate grayscale and gamma manually with my chromapure software...

I want to buy a new JVC projector soon, the new DLA-X700.
I think I can also buy the bundle for this, which makes more sense for Blu-Ray Movies.
Don't forget to notice me, when your offer is available;)

By the way, do you know where I can get accurate Full RGB patterns for grayscale / gamma calibration for my plasma ?
I have the AVSHD709 disc, but this is also just 16-235.

Best Regards
post #100 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your post seems to be logical.
I thought that games are also rendered to Rec709 by the game developers.
Then surely a calibration will not make much sense, if it is not the case.
Though I would like to calibrate the grayscale and gamma correctly.
But this makes me think again to purchase the eeBox / LS, because then there is no need for a 3D Lut system for the color gamut as I can also calibrate grayscale and gamma manually with my chromapure software...

I want to buy a new JVC projector soon, the new DLA-X700.
I think I can also buy the bundle for this, which makes more sense for Blu-Ray Movies.
Don't forget to notice me, when your offer is available;)

By the way, do you know where I can get accurate Full RGB patterns for grayscale / gamma calibration for my plasma ?
I have the AVSHD709 disc, but this is also just 16-235.

Best Regards

When you are using 1D LUT Calibration , you are correcting only one point per primary color, when you do that, measure the other points inside the CIE Chart to see how good or bad they are.

There's a noticed difference from a Normal 6-Axis CMS Calibration to 125 Colors (5x5x5) Calibration, you can see user comments about their difference to their systems they saw when they moved from 1D to 3D LUT.

With eecolor we are talking about correcting 4.913 Color Points (17x17x17) and lightspace generates using interpollation a 274.625 Color Point LUT.

The only page that is working to my new site is this:
http://www.displaycalibrations.com/cube_comparisons.html

You can visualise the difference of Color Point Controls there. wink.gif

post #101 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Sure, I understand the better gamut accuracy and that's why i wanted to buy the eecolor.
But you said, that there is no Gamut standard for games, so no benefit for calibration to Rec709.
You said also games are developed in sRGB and I thought it is identical to Rec709, so does it still not make any sense to calibrate to Rec709 ?
post #102 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, I understand the better gamut accuracy and that's why i wanted to buy the eecolor.
But you said, that there is no Gamut standard for games, so no benefit for calibration to Rec709.
You said also games are developed in sRGB and I thought it is identical to Rec709, so does it still not make any sense to calibrate to Rec709 ?

If you load 5 different games you will see that their internal brightness bars test don't match, there's nothing you can do with that.

sRGB + REC.709 sharing the same primaries xy cordinates.

You can calibrate your display to REC709 to watch your movies and to play games also, but not expect amazing differencies in games performance.

Also there is no need to use eeColor for games, we use eeColor to perform similar calibration to that Professional World has set to be at 17-Point Cube as a standard for all accurate color-related uses, at games world if your ask a game developer, he will not know what 3D LUT means, and also the game development monitors use are not calibrated to that resolution. frown.gif

post #103 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Ok, thanks, that make things clear enough.
I'll stick then with a "normal" grayscale / gamma calibration for my plasma.

But l buy the eecolor for the new jvc X700, where it will make more sense when watching BD movies.
Just waiting for your bundle offer:)

Best regards
post #104 of 472 Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

So this makes impossible to have accurate picture in games because the game developers are choosing colors to their uncalibrated monitors that are not real-life tones, just use colors to impress.

At games there no standarts to follow.

Then I'm very disappointed in them. It explains why to some degree Codemasters F1 looks cartoon like with a calibrated screen. It's not too bad but bad when you compare it to GT5. While Gran Turismo looks gorgeous.
Quote:

If you load 5 different games you will see that their internal brightness bars test don't match, there's nothing you can do with that.

EA Fifa games are real bad for this. According to their in game pattern recommendations, the blacks are so badly crushed it causes most of the colours to look neon and give you sore eyes. Yet a properly calibrated screen the game looks natural with no eyestrain.
post #105 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Cool, your store is now working Ted.
Nice price for Lightspace and eecolor box smile.gif
Just ordered the eecolor LS bundle, I'm glad I knew this deal before I ordered elsewhere.

When will your BD disc will be released Ted ?
post #106 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

[B][U]Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Release Notes / Download Link[/U][/B]Version: [B]1.0[/B]Release Date: [B]?? September 2013[/B]ISO File Size: [B]?? GB[/B]Zipped File Size: [B]?? GB[/B]Blank Blu-Ray Disk Required: [B]25GB Single Layer Blu-Ray Disk - BD-R SL or BD-RE SL (For Future Updates)[/B]Download Link: [B]...Coming Soon...[/B][I]Recommended Burning Software:[/I] [URL=http://www.imgburn.com/][B]ImgBurn[/B][/URL]

Tedd,

i donated a small amount to you for the calibration disk.

transaction number:

2TG28525SF069705M

Thanks for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Danny

Sometimes you are 1 click away from pulling your hair out and bang your head against the wall
post #107 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 AM

Ted my kudos for you hard effort.
I donated a small amount for disk.After seeing up close the variety of calibrations options, i am convienced that this calibration disk will be the Holy Bible for the picture enthusiants,not to mention the proffesionals.
After cleaning the inside of my Optoma HD8200 and changing the bulb,i will wait for you to do your magic in order to take the best picture out from the projector

Thanks in advance.....
post #108 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I'm sure everyone will enjoy the new disc and all of it's capabilities. After testing a pre release version with LightSpace, every function tried worked as advertised. Ted, who apparently never sleeps, has done a commendable job. I doubt there have ever been so many test patterns in one place.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #109 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeenl View Post

Quote:

[B][U]Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Release Notes / Download Link[/U][/B]Version: [B]1.0[/B]Release Date: [B]?? September 2013[/B]ISO File Size: [B]?? GB[/B]Zipped File Size: [B]?? GB[/B]Blank Blu-Ray Disk Required: [B]25GB Single Layer Blu-Ray Disk - BD-R SL or BD-RE SL (For Future Updates)[/B]Download Link: [B]...Coming Soon...[/B][I]Recommended Burning Software:[/I] [URL=http://www.imgburn.com/][B]ImgBurn[/B][/URL]

Tedd,

i donated a small amount to you for the calibration disk.

transaction number:

2TG28525SF069705M

Thanks for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Danny

Hello Danny, Thank you for the pre-release support.

The disk will be available for downloading @ Monday.

I will send you notification to fill the download form that will give you access to the download link. smile.gif

Premium Version, for the start will be the Media Files Edition of the disk, I'm expecting to have this ready until the end of the month. I will send the download link only to whose who donaTED.

Premium Version of the Blu-Ray Disk will come later, as i will wait new users new pattern ideas to add to this released. I will enable to my site the link for user to send their ideas for new patterns , that will be useful for their calibrations.

Current Version of my Disk Contains over 150 Pre-Calibration/Color Reproduction Patterns.

The disk release has been delayed becasue i wanted to have the website ready with some initial instructions on how t use the disk with LightSpace, and to be able to support the upcoming users of the disk.

post #110 of 472 Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1890 View Post

Ted my kudos for you hard effort.
I donated a small amount for disk.After seeing up close the variety of calibrations options, i am convienced that this calibration disk will be the Holy Bible for the picture enthusiants,not to mention the proffesionals.
After cleaning the inside of my Optoma HD8200 and changing the bulb,i will wait for you to do your magic in order to take the best picture out from the projector

Thanks in advance.....

Thank you Nikos for your support. Yesterday you saw a quick example of the contents of my disk, it needs a lot of hours to see all these unique patterns that are not available by any other calibration disk wink.gif

post #111 of 472 Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I'm sure everyone will enjoy the new disc and all of it's capabilities. After testing a pre release version with LightSpace, every function tried worked as advertised. Ted, who apparently never sleeps, has done a commendable job. I doubt there have ever been so many test patterns in one place.

I will not sleep until my new toy (Klein K-10A) will arrive with safety here. smile.gif

post #112 of 472 Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Congrats Ted for the new k10A toy wink.gif
post #113 of 472 Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

Congrats Ted for the new k10A toy wink.gif

Speed is the most important thing for large cubes profilings, if you use a projector or a plasma - display technologies that drift over the usage time.

post #114 of 472 Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I also sent you a donation!smile.gif

Bob
post #115 of 472 Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really appreciate it Bob (and the other guys) for the donations I received today!

The whole project, I'm running it alone, the site, the disk etc.

But the disk is wonderful, just wait till Monday, you will be impressed with the results! smile.gif

post #116 of 472 Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Glad to hear you Have A new Klein K-10 on its way Ted,
I have know doubt you will enjoy it mate. its been A Long time coming smile.gif
post #117 of 472 Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ted, your disk will have paterns for problematic abl plasmas like st60 ? If so, and are on the payed version, how will I get one in europe? Thanks
post #118 of 472 Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Glad to hear you Have A new Klein K-10 on its way Ted,
I have know doubt you will enjoy it mate. its been A Long time coming smile.gif

It was time for me to get such a wonderful toy like K-10A, after working with all these years with tristimulus colorimeters like SpectraCAL's C6, i1Display PRO, Chroma 5 PRO.

post #119 of 472 Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei_VVB View Post

Ted, your disk will have paterns for problematic abl plasmas like st60 ? If so, and are on the payed version, how will I get one in europe? Thanks

Hello Andrei, you can check post 74 if you like to get an idea of what patterns my disk will have.

For LightSpace's 10-Point or 17-Point Cube measurements i have decided to use the exact the same size with Lumagen Large Window Patterns (11.11%). There also Patterns to perform 1D LUT Calibrations with CalMAN or ChromaPure Software. The RGB Triplet targets for the 1D LUT patterns (CM+CP) are exact the same each software engine wants.

The whole idea of the disk it to calibrate the whole video chain, something that any pattern generator of any range can't fix, because they don't see the errors that the Blu-Ray Players are introducing at their video output. (There some tests about this at my first post of this topic)

I'm now working to provide the download like @ Monday.

Also I will add to my site (www.displaycalibrations.com) the option for someone to order a Blu-Ray Copy of the disk. I can ship worldwide (via Registered Email, that will require a signature when the disk will arrive to it's destination)

The user who will order the Blu-Ray copy of the disk he will receive a high quality copy that wil come directly from my Plextor External Blu-Ray Recorder.

I will use JVC (Victor - Made In JAPAN) Single Layer Blu-Ray Disk, Printable (printed from my Inkjet Printer) - Watershield & Glossy Coating, with the following label:

For Packaging I will use an CD Media envelop with bubbles for protection and a Slip Case for disk protection.

The price this copy will be 25$, including shipping to any destination.

I believe i will enable the store option at monday too. I will keep updated this topic.

The Premium versions, for those who donated, they will get access to download the Media Files Version of the Disk, to use with consumer or PC Media Players, and an another version of the Blu-Ray Disk that will contain Full Field and 6.5% Sized Window Patterns (THX Square Patterns).

The Media Player Edition will come later this month, the Premium Blu-Ray version will come later at November, I believe.

The whole Project that will be release free to all users, it's a huge project that took over a year to complete, there so many important patterns inside that are not available to any other pattern disk before.

For those who will respect all this hard work, and my decision to provide this as a free download to all users, I have placed a donation button to my page, to support if they want.

post #120 of 472 Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, it's a long time ago since our Teddy has announced his calibration disc.

For a couple of days now I have worked with a beta version - and just can say - IMHO it's a really great pattern disc ... good job, Ted!

I don't want to start a discussion, whether it's the best to calibrate using a real HW pattern generator like Accupel, or if it's better to use a test disc, so the entire singal chain is involved. But it's logical that the last method is definitively the best way for accurate calibration, when the player makes a perceivable effect to the picture processing. If not, and if you have enough money for a SW controlled professional HW test pattern device, surely that would be the preferred method.

But let's say, you've only a limited budged and you only want to calibrate from time to time - then using a test pattern disc to make a display/PJ profiling is a very easy way to get your display / LUT holder (like eeColor / Lumagen Radiance) verified/calibrated. However - for getting very good results, a reliable and - for reading of thousands of points - also a fast meter is needed next to a good calibration SW of your choice.

Until now I've used the AVSHD as my primary test pattern disc for short visual checks of the PJ's dark levels, white levels, grayscale, convergence, sharpness ... and in the past I've used the AVSHD for my first IR controlled autocalibrations with CalMAN and USB-UIRT (gamma, 7pt gamut). But IMO Ted's disc is a good substitution of the good old AVSHD.

The variety of included test patterns is up-to-date and not only for checking shadows/white HDMI levels and some more color-specific. It has CalMAN specific patterns, but the major feature of the disc especially is the support of LightSpace's display profiling/characterization (DIP mode) in some variants. You can perform a quick profiling (141 pt), a 10^3 or full 17^3 pt display charaterization.

As far as I can say after some days of experimenting with - all of my profiling runs (1s DIP mode, K10-A) went successfully. To get the start in sync with LightSpace is very easy - just follow the "count down" animation and click the mouse button in LS to start the profiling - that's all.

Btw, Ted's Black/White level patterns are also well thought-out. Like on AVSHD the bars are flashing + marked with HDMI levels (16 ...) but have %-grading information in addition.

Just to be mentioned - Ted's disc primarily is designed for home cinema usage - so the disc is mastered in 1080p24, Blu-Ray like.

Ted, thank you for spending a lot of your free time in that project; I'm sure, many DIY calibrators will like the disc too.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

_________
Regards,
Harry
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 1150hd 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page