AVS Forum banner

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk

224K views 1K replies 160 participants last post by  Dirk Pajonk 
#1 ·

LightSpace CMS Software at it's current version is not supporting External Pattern Generator, excect CineTAL's DAVIO (5.500$) and Pandora PLUTO (4.000$). (Lumagen it will be supported in a few weeks)

It's using their Internal Pattern Generator using your Notebook HDMI Out (Extended Desktop) to calibrate your target display. This with the proper setup will not produce any problem, but there a lot of discusion about inaccurate notebook HDMI Output from other software providers...

BTW there Chapters inside my disk that you can compare your HDMI Output by taking measurements using the Disk Chapter vs. HDMI Out, so you can identify if you have done any mistake at your HDMI Output configuration.

To solve all these possible problems, I have created a Blu-Ray Disk that it syncs with LightSpace to perform Automated 10-Point Cube or 17-Point Cube Calibrations with only a Single Mouse Click!

The disk has been tested by myself over 10 times and there is not any problem. I gave a test version disk out to the LightSpace Evaluation Team also.

If you are intersted by playing your films via your specific Blu-Ray Player it is always best to use that Disk as the patch generator, as the calibration will account for any inaccuracies in the image path, including any inaccuracies with the Blu-Ray Player.

BluRay Pattern Disk will always be the most accurate source to calibrate a Home Theater Chain (Source-TV or Source-connected throu AV-TV).

Think you have the best reference pattern generator of the world (10.000$) and you calibrate a TV Set.

The problem is that the Consumer Player are not so accurate so it will distort the final calibration because of their inaccurate output.

These are examples of Consumer Blu-Ray Players that tested using Quantum Data HDMI Analyser:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/september-2011/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-blu-ray-player/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-hdmi-benchmark-tables-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/november-2011/lg-bd670-blu-ray-player/lg-bd670-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/december-2011/samsung-bd-d6500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d6500-hdmi-analysis-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/july-2011/samsung-bd-d5500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d5500-hdmi-test-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/june-2011/sony-bdp-s580-blu-ray-player/sony-bdp-s580-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

As you see , all players are changing the signal at their output, so calibrating using a Ted's Calibration Disk is the most accurate way of calibrating a consumer setup, calibrating and correcting errors to the whole chain.

I'm performing 3D-Cube Calibrations for one month already using my LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, The software has a mode that is used mainly at professional post-facilities - DI (Digital Intermediate, SDI-HD connection etc.) grading system to play the patches in a very similar way, again calibrating the whole image chain - that you can select the time that each pattern is displayed, this is called DIP mode in LightSpace.

So after tons of work, i have create a disk that is sync perfect with LightSpace Software with a very simple way as you have only to click 'ok' with your mouse at LightSpace window to start the measurements the same time while at your TV screen you see the countdown's last frame.

There's 10-Point Cube (1000 Colors) Chapters inside the disk and 17-Point Cube (4913 Colors) Chapters also, with time per color selection of 3sec (For Klein Meters) 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...........

To find out which time chapter is for your display there is a Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter that displays the darkest colors of the selected LUT resolution and LightSpace tells you what reading was the longest, so it's very easy to decide ..... As you know measuring Dark Colors with a meter is taking more time, so this Finder Chapter is critical to find out with your current meter settings to your current measuring display the exact time it takes to read the Darkest Color. Incorrect setting will drive the whole operation out of sync...

For iD3 from my test using Pioneer KURO with the deepest black as Dark readings takes longer time, the correct time for me was 6 sec per color. That means 1000 color for 1 hour 40 minutes and 4913 colors for 8 hours and 11 minutes by iD3, if you have Klein then you will need 4 Hours for 4913 Colors (using 3 sec, Chapter).

Of cource if you use LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator these times are shorter.

This is an example of measuring the Final LUT loaded to my eecolor after performing a 17-Point Cube Calibration using my Disk.

As i have write to previous posts, professional industry software like LightSpace, THX CineCube and TrueLight, they don't have any dE report, they calculate the corretion LUT preventing problems that can appear by extreme corrections, they fix what it can be fixed without producing new problems to the image, so there is no need to check the dE of 4913 colors after the profilling......

I have add also some very good patterns, not available anywhere, to verity the Final LUT for Distortion or other color problems, you can identify with these patterns also if your TV's Controls are introducing any error (banding etc.) while you are using them... with my Patterns

If you need to Verify The Final LUT using our popular CalMAN 5, i have added 11+21-Step Grayscale, 4+5 Step Saturation, 4-5 Step Luminance, Color Checker Chapters that are made by the Exact RGB Triplets that CalMAN requests each pattern. These Chapters can be used for manual calibration also.

The Pattern Size i used is 640x360px, 11.11% Window Size, the Same Size as Lumagen Large Windows.

Disk is encoded using 24p framerate.

* UPDATE: 23 October 2013 - The Disk has been released here: www.displaycalibrations.com

Disk Release Notes has been added here also.

See less See more
#675 ·
Yesterday just calibrated a 55B6 and a 65E6 both of them with Teds Disc stunning results see above. I used the Disc because the B Modell has problems with rgb levels so it's impossible to use mobileforge if you want correct RGB triplets.

So I highly recommended to use this masterpiece of Disc :)

55B6

65E6

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD
#677 ·
Hi, for LightSpace the intergration with the Disk is Fully Automated, but it needs an initial setup to find out which is the correct chapter to user for the specific display/meter settings, look how it works:

Intergration of Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk with LightSpace Software for Automated Quick Profiling / 10-Point Cube / 17-Point Cube Profilings without user prompt, How is this possible?

LightSpace is using 2 modes to display and measure the Patches of your SelecTED Cube Size:

Closed Loop Mode: Where the probe dictates the timings per patch, with bright patches measured much faster, darker ones need more time to be measured, So with Closed Loop Mode you can use the LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator using you Notebook HDMI Output (with proper setup) or to use Lumagen Radiance Series as External Hardware Pattern Generator.

DIP mode (Display Independent Profiling): This mode uses a fixed time of displaying each color patch. Since the LightSpace is using the method of measuring only one time each color point, the patch sequence is fixed for each Cube Size, So My Disk is based to this fixed color point (patch) measuring order...

Example of DIP Mode:

If you select the 5 sec DIP mode, each patch is displayed for exact 5 sec before it goes to the next color. LightSpace has a fixed internal delay of 0.5 sec (500ms) which gives command to your meter to read each patch 0.5sec after it’s been displayed via Lumagen or via HDMI Out or via my Disk.

If you want to add some extra delay time before each Patch Measurement, LightSpace has add a Selectable bar you can add any additional time you want, and LightSpace adds your extra time selection to the 0.5sec fixed internal delay.

Example: If you select Extra Delay Time of 0.5sec, then the total delay you will have in total will be 1.0 sec (1000ms) before any meter read.

Displays can benefit from adding an Extra Delay Time before each measurement; it's useful for the panel to have more stable presentation of each pattern.

How to Find Out which DIP mode can be used for your display/meter?

To find out which DIP Chapter of my disk is required for your current display settings / meter settings, you have to use the Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter of my disk which it displays the darkest colors of the selected LUT resolution and you need to measure these patches to find out which is the correct DIP mode Chapter you will need for your display profiling.

As we know, meters require more time to measure a low luminance color (Dark Patches) and also they can read faster a brighter color patch (With more Luminance).

The time it takes for your meter to read the Darkest Color Patches of your selecTED LUT Size is something that you need to take some measurements to find out the max time in xxx ms that will be required.

LightSpace has a feature called Measure & Log.

By Selecting this, you will be prompt to enter a File Name, for Example you can type ''5% Red'' and after clicking ok, the LightSpace will take continuous readings of the pattern you are displaying, as long time as you want, to stop this , press ‘’Stop Measurement’’...

After doing that, a ‘5% Red.cvs’’ file will be created and you will be able to open it with Excel to see the xyY Readings and the time it took for your meter to read this patch.

This is an example of the CVS file Data contents:

Here you can see the exact time it took to read the 5% Red of my KURO, with my iD3 (I have selected 1.5sec Intergration time).

This is a good way to find out and set your Meter Intergration Time, by checking the repeatability of any patch, and compare 2-3 different Intergration time settings (1sec. 1.25sec, 1.50sec…etc..) to find out which setting have more stable and repeatable xyY measurements.

IMPORTANT DETAIL: Enabling Average Low Light Measurements IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE USED WITH MY DISK! Avoid this Low Average Feature because the meter is reading more that one time the same patch (probably it will take 15-40 sec to return a single xyY number)

After you have decided about your Meter Settings, by selecting the Intergration Time and the Display Type (for colorimeters only), you have to spend a few minutes to take some measurements using my Disk’s Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter.

Example: By Selecting the 17-Point Cube Time per Patch Finder Chapter, you will see this introduction screen..

Here you are able to see the Pattern Order Sequence.

Before each displayed pattern there a notification screen which displays what pattern it will be displayed… so when you will see that 5% Red Info Screen, click Measure and Log... and enter ‘5% Red’ as a file name, to collect data about any measured color.

You have to do this for all the 5% RGBCMY+Gray+Black Patchs to examine later which is the longest meter read with your Current Display Settings.

It’s very important step to keep the Disk-Software Synced during the whole 17-Point Profiling Time.

After you have completed all the required measurements (you will have saved a similar list of measurement files like this one), you have to open each one *.CVS Data File to find the longest in xxx.ms time it took from you meter to read it.

For example if your Longest in time read is 4200ms, add +500ms to this (because LightSpace adds that 500ms internal delay before each reading)…your total max measuring time will be 4700ms… so you will have to use the 5sec DIP mode for your 17-Point Profiling using my Disk.

If you need to add extra additional time of about 1sec, then you can select that from the probe setup window and later select the 6sec DIP mode 17-Point Profiling.
(Because 4200ms+500ms+1000ms will need 5700ms).

Be sure you have disabled any Screen Protection, Auto Stand-by mode or your Blu-Ray Player ‘Screen Saver Mode’ during before any Profiling Run.

How the Sync of Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk with LightSpace CMS Software Works without user prompt for 17-Point Cube Profilings (4.913 Color Points) is working?

To sync the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk played from your Blu-Ray Player with the software it requires ONLY ONE Synced Click from your Notebook Mouse.

My Disk’s DIP Mode Chapters are Starting with a 5 Sec of Chapter Announcement like this one:
(You can check the total chapter time here or from LightSpace software before starting the profiling measurements.)

...A 5sec 'Old Film Like' Countdown with Start, like this one:

And when you see the last frame.....

You have to click 'OK' the LightSpace Start Measurements Confirmation Window

Click 'OK' to start the measurements or press ‘Enter Key’ from your keyboard (I prefer this for perfect timing)

For the LightSpace users, all chapters are automated with Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk.

The video below shows the chapter that Klein K-10A users can use since it's their meter is so fast; they can use 1 sec per patch only!.

* Change the resolution to 1080p and run it at fullscreen.

With this method i1d3 users can use DIP Mode Chapter with 4 or 5 or 6 sec per Color Patch to perform a 10-Point Cube Calibration in total time between 1 hour - 1hour 40 minutes max, this is something it depends on user display and meter settings.

The LightSpace has a PercentageBar you are able to see your progress...

There is not any other user prompt till the end, After the last Color Patch is being measured, the LightSpace is saving that session of measurements automatically and the same time you will see that image at your TV screen:

NOTE: Only Sequential patch sequence is supported to current version of Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, without Drift Comp.

#678 · (Edited)
Hi TED, totally newbie here, never done any calibration and i'm buying an i1D3 PRO + Chromapure 3 (Thats all the money i can spent right now), the question is...

To use the 3D LUT i need BY FORCE an external generator and LightSpace? a PC cannot display those 3D Luts just connected to the TV?

I want to use it to calibrate my OLED B6V, sorry for the obvious questions and the bad english (I'm spanish), but we all start from the scratch

Thanks

#679 ·
Hi,

If you are interested for 3D LUT display characterization when you have a HTPC as a Media Player, then you can use a software player which supports MadVR as a renderer; like Media Player Classic or JRiver; get a calibration software that supports MadVR (like LightSpace HTL/CalMAN Enthousiast/DisplayCAL) which is able to control the MadVR software pattern generator from inside your software player and be able to generate the 3D LUT correction table and do the display characterization.

MadVR supports the 3D LUT format file system of eeColor (65-Point Cube), so you will load the correction when you will playback movies from that software player you will use.

If you will use a stand-alone player (blu-ray/media player) and you want to do display characterization for your LG, then you need to add a 3D LUT Box between your player, to store there the 3D LUT correction table.

I have created a complete list which compares the features of each available 3D LUT Box of global market, to be able to help you choose what 3D LUT Box is better for your application/needs. There 3D LUT Boxes where they have internal pattern generator feature also, you can find to that comparison list the calibration software solutions you can use for each 3D LUT Box here.

For the 3D LUT Box which don't feature an internal pattern generator, you can use some low-priced hardware like (Amazon FireStick / Google ChromeCast etc.) to the software that supports these devices as patch generators.

Lately LightIllusion released LightSpace Connect software for this job: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...09369-lightspace-connect-android-ios-app.html

There many different 3D LUT correction table sizes which each device is supporting, to see a visual comparison of color points calibrated between display internal controls vs. various 3D LUT Boxes you can see these Cube Size Comparison Pictures.

Using 3D LUT you calibrate many different levels or saturation/hue/luminance, so your performance will be reference at any color, in 8-bit systems, the allocation of 17 nodes per component (17-Point Cube) proves that is best trade off between display/meter/processor hardware / measuring time / display stability and overall quality, that's why that size is commonly used at pro industry.

The most important is the total volumetric accuracy for the best final results, consumer displays has not so linear tracking to all it's areas, so a large cube with a profiling sequence that 17 or 21-Point Cube (4.913 or 9.261 Color Points) grid-based with equal spaced RGB values will cover all potential colors equally and give the most accurate correction.

With 3D LUT you will have to do only basic setup from your internal calibration controls, contrast/brightness/sharpness, find native gamut and pre-calibrate only 100% White.

I have posted some results from 3D LUT in a LG OLED here, and Pioneer KURO there; using LightSpace with eeColor 3D LUT Box.

Moving to 3D LUT, it will save you some thousand new hours of trying different patterns and different values of internal calibration controls to minimize your color errors.

A good read about deltaE is here: http://www.lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

When you have only a few internal display calibration controls to handle some million colors performance, usually you will have low dE using the patterns you used to do Gamut calibrations and moving away from these colors the errors will be increased, so the more points you will measure, the more errors you will discover. (see there an example)

LG 2016 OLED's has an issue in it's Color Gamut mapping (I haven't measured 2017 models to see if they suffering with the same issue), the Normal Gamut it has provides a close gamut coverage to REC.709 (a bit oversaturated) but the tracking of low end colors is expanded to larger coverage, this is something I haven't seen before, seems that the LG engineers haven't programmed well that, see what is happening when you measure the lower luminance levels...this picture shows a 20-Point Luminance Sweep @ 100% Saturation, starting from 100% until 5%. From 25% Luminance and below the colorspace coverage is larger, this will provide non-linear gradients or other problems with strange shades to real picture (example here). Usually that kind of measurements are ignored from the users which measure only a few color points to validate the post calibration results.

Another forum user which measured 65E6 and 65G6 with 10-Point Saturation of various Luminance levels found the same results (and worse) using reference gear also (Klein K-10A + JETI 1211) and posted pictures and animated pictures there: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-oled-calibration-thread-34.html#post51385729

I have posted it a lot of times that these displays can only perform reference only when you will perform a display characterization via a 3D LUT Box, any internal mapping of this display is terrible, like their calibration controls.

This is AGIF Image (Animated GIF), this may playback to all browsers.

Generally this problem with medium-low luminance tracking is something common for all kind of consumer displays, just the different and very unusual fact is that LG are expanding their gamut at low end, which is something I have never experienced before. The LED's for example are doing the opposite (or LG @ Wide mode in HDR or SDR)....at lower luminance levels the gamut is smaller:

This is a measurement from LG OLED 55C6 @ HDR mode:

This is AGIF Image (Animated GIF), this may playback to all browsers.

This is APNG Image (Animated PNG), this will have animated only to browsers that support Animated PNG playback.

LightSpace with Quick Profiling measurement is used for this presentation.

These 2 different displays gamut coverage of 20-Points Luminance (5%-100%) per primary/secondary colors with 100% Saturation of each color. The White triangle line is the REC.709 colorspace coverage, the Gray line is the measured gamut coverage, and the Animated images showing the coverage from 100% (255.255.255) down to 5% (13.13.13). As you can see the coverage is not the same to all luminance levels.

#690 · (Edited)
I personally think that it will be a while before you see 4K UHD HDR versions of disks like Ted's. This isn't a condemnation of Ted. Current disc authoring software isn't quite up to the task, and burners and discs are either not available or prohibitively expensive. Currently, you can use the HDFury Integral or Linker devices along with a player and Ted's disc to send the correct metadata to put your set into HDR mode. The Linker can also scale the signal to 4K, which the Integral cannot. An alternative is Ryan Masciola's 4K UHD HDR-10 test pattern set. These must be placed on a USB thumb drive, but are 4K and contain the correct metadata to put your display into HDR mode.

#691 ·
@ConnecTEDDD

about Black Tunnel,when you set brightness that 0,5 shall that blink or just blend in the background?

Hi, about about Black Tunnel pattern:

This is a pattern which has flashing boxes. The picture you see here, it doesn't have the original pattern digital levels, I have lift the brightness by 150% using Photoshop to the whole image; for being easier to the users to see all the areas of that pattern at that example.

The things which have to flash is the 17 boxes, the text which say 17 (large letters are the center left top side, left bottom side) or 0.5% (at center right side)

Also at bottom left side, no box should be visible, because all boxes are from 16 till 8. Only the letters which say 17 has to be visible and flashing.

This is good for checking if a wrong brightness setting will lift black levels.

There also letters which say 'This is 2%/4% below black and should not be visible'' The letters have 16 level fill, so they have to be invisible. (If the user sees a boarder for this letters, this means that he has high it's sharpness.)

When you don't see any flashing box of 16 and below but you still able to see the letters fill ''This is 2%/4% below black and should not be visible (letters fill/color is 16) this means that some enhancement in processing is detecting and boosting that level, so you have to find out which setting is enabling the artifact and disable it.

When you don't see any flashing box of 16 and below but you still able to see the letters boarder (not fill) ''This is 2%/4% below black and should not be visible (letters fill/color is 16)This is reference Black & should not be visible'' flashing (while the letters fill is invisible), this means that your current sharpness setting is not correct and you have to reduce the sharpness slider more.

It has to do with the combination of sharpness setting with the image processing engine of each display, that enable/boosting these fake details that are not supposed to be visible.

This is a good pattern to check near black levels to 3 parts of the screen. not only one as usual. If you imagine an area where a 2.35:1 movie covers, this is inside to the 3 areas where the pattern is flashing. Usually the corners or up-down bars are black to the most of the movies.

#694 ·
Ted,i used the profiler in calman 2017 singlepass with an i1pro2 as reference and my calman C6 meter as target,here is the result of your excellent profiling "checker" i belive if you have x-y within +/-0.001 its ok and luminance within 1.5% it should be ok,however i seem to have some problem with red,i tried several profilings but it seems to be the same problems with red,am i doing some thing wrong when profiling?

Attachments

#695 · (Edited)
Hi, what meter settings are you using for each meter?

Up to +-1.5% Luminance difference is accepted according to NIST publications, you have 3.3% Luminance difference. About xy difference it's up to +-0.001 xy the accepted range.

The meter in continuous mode (which can be affected by the meter settings) need to have a repeatability in Y about 0.5% max to it's reported numbers.

#699 ·
With 1 sample, the repeatability will be poor, it gives only speed, try more samples or a fixed exposure, until you find a better combination of settings which will provide more stable results.

Since you are using my disk, load the Pre-Calibration Tools Workflow and locate the White Balance layout page:

Display the WRGB patterns and measure them in continuous mode, check various meter exposure times or add multiple samples per read, test refreshing rate options; how all these changes are affecting the readings, until you find the best combination which will give you more stable xyY numbers.

This post has been deleted
#705 · (Edited)
Hi,

There 3 workflows I have designed for CalMAN 5 users, but no one of them recommends to do color gamut first, basically there no recommendation of what steps to do first, each user can use only the pages he prefer to use, it's not required to use them all.

The first page is for meter profiling.

There x-Point Grayscale + Gamut, x-Point Saturation and ColorChecker Classic available to measure the available gamut options of a display or display modes until you find which one is better and closer to the reference, to find the mode/settings which will require less calibration control adjustments from the user side of view.

After that there RGB Balance pages to do grayscale, using the 2-Point RGB Balance calibration controls of a display and then move to 10 or 20 point. There it's up to the user which page he has to use. If one display has only 2-Point RGB Balance controls then better to use the 30-80-100% page, if it have both 2 and 10/20p then it's better to use 30-100% page.

After Grayscale there is the Color Gamut calibration pages, the Color/Tint page for those without full CMS controls (which has be used from users with full CMS controls also) and then a pages for calibration of 4 different saturation/luminance levels, it's up to use which he will use and its up to display which of those 4 selections will perform better. There displays where they calibrated better with 75% Saturation with 100% Luminance, there others with 100% Saturation with 75% Luminance.

The Near Black and Dynamic Range tests can be used before starting grayscale, after setting visually by looking various Contrast/Brightness patterns the Brightness/Contrast settings, you can measure the near black or near White performance with measurements, it's up to the user if he want to measure or not these pages. You can calibrate without using them.

After the end the the calibration to have a more complete report of your display performance pre/post calibration there 2 workflow with more detailed measurement runs:

Verify Calibration Tools Workflow:

To measure with more depth to see how the display performance improved after the calibration.

...and the Color Comparator Workflow which is using Color tiles with 8bit values to emulate the dE numbers to color differences in tiles comparing how reference color look and how it's being measured, this workflow is ideal to notice the color errors beyond dE numbers.

Generally, beyond workflow layout page ordering, when you perform calibration using internal display calibration controls, when you will start the adjustments with measurements, you do 2-Point Grayscale first, then 10/20-Point Grayscale, after that you move to Color Gamut calibration and after that to re-check/fine tune if required the Grayscale and then again re-tune Color Gamut, back-forth as many times as required until you have stable and accurate results to both grayscale/gamut.

#706 · (Edited)
Very much appreciated Ted. I actually deleted my original post because after looking more carefully I realized that I misunderstood your workflows - so my apologies. I was actually looking at the Verify Calibration workflow, which of course is the wrong one to use.

#707 ·
Nothing to worry about, your question gave me the reason to post some more details about the purpose of each workflow which will be useful for all users. :)

#708 · (Edited)
Hi!

I'm having trouble creating a meter profile with Calman 5 last version and i1pro2 & i1d3. When I checked the profile with the Ted's Verify Calibration Tools workflow, the red luminance is more than 1.5% (Always more that 3% aprox).

Thanks to Ted's workflow I was able to detect what the problem was, because I could not correctly calibrate my TV b7p with any profile. We made a lot of attempts (Ted always gave me email support all the time) but I could not find a solution. Ted told me it's not the only case, apparently it's a meter combination problem with specific tv... So, if anyone had a similar problem, please share it with me.

PD To discard a hardware problem, I create other profiles with another TV Oled ef9500 and laptop 4k monitor and the check gave perfect on the first attempt, so I discard it is a problem with the spectro & colorimeter

#710 ·
Hi!

I'm having trouble creating a meter profile with Calman 5 last version and i1pro2 & i1d3. When I checked the profile with the Ted's Verify Calibration Tools workflow, the red luminance is more than 1.5% (Always more that 3% aprox).

Thanks to Ted's workflow I was able to detect what the problem was, because I could not correctly calibrate my TV b7p with any profile. We made a lot of attempts (Ted always gave me email support all the time) but I could not find a solution. Ted told me it's not the only case, apparently it's a meter combination problem with specific tv... So, if anyone had a similar problem, please share it with me.
I have noticed this also with a i1pro2 and a klein k-10a,profiling on my lg b6 its very hard to get red luminace within those 1.5%,i wish there was a way to run both meters (simultanious) ”single pass” during ted`s verification,then if there is a problem it should be screen uniformity which could be checked by swapping positions of meters (x-check)
Hey guys,

The problem with meter profiling with B6 has been reported at past also from another user which had i1PRO2 and i1Display PRO.

When you profile the i1PRO2 to i1PRO2 or i1Display PRO to i1Display PRO....there no errors in the verification, when you profile that display using the i1PRO2+i1Display PRO combo....the verification says that it has issue with Red Y.

CalMAN 2017 used for this test which is not suffering from meter profiling matrix generation math error (like CalMAN 2016 was suffering), so the software is not the problem. The other user had the same problem using HCFR/DisplayCAL or LightSpace for meter profiling and verification.

I believe it's the i1PRO2 responsible for this, since with i1PRO2 + K-10A it's having the same problem.

I haven't created meter profile for B6 but I have created for E6 and I have never experience any issue with meter profile verification using my JETI 1211 + Klein K-10A, as you see below:

HDR Mode (Red Y 0.03%):

SDR Mode (Red Y 0.28%):

But it's a strange issue. If I will create meter profiling for B6 I will update.

#709 ·
I have noticed this also with a i1pro2 and a klein k-10a,profiling on my lg b6 its very hard to get red luminace within those 1.5%,i wish there was a way to run both meters (simultanious) ”single pass” during ted`s verification,then if there is a problem it should be screen uniformity which could be checked by swapping positions of meters (x-check)

#711 ·
Ted, this may be taken a little out of context, but in another thread I saw in your reply to a post about calibrating an E6 to not worry about trying to correct the luminance. I'm trying to help out a buddy with his Panny VT60, which has saturation, hue, and luminance controls for each primary and secondary color. I haven't spent a lot of time yet playing with those controls, but messing around with the luminance using your disc does seem to introduce some interesting artifacts, particularly increased picture grain - should I leave the luminance alone? Thanks.

#712 ·
Hi, probably you saw my post talking about HDR10 grayscale calibration where I suggested to fix only RGB balance errors and not luminance error, because LG's processing is not ideal so when you try large correction a lot of problems introduced to real content.

There a lot of displays that suffering from issues introduced with using specific calibration controls, Panasonic has issues but I don't remember how I have calibrated a VT60, you can look the many color reproduction patterns while you adjusting (without measurements the CMS controls) to see which control or which combination of controls are introduce problems.

The best solution when you have that kind of displays is to bypass any internal calibration control and use a 3D LUT Box (like eeColor which is very cheap), so all the correction of thousands measured colors points will be stored inside to the 3D LUT Box memory (65-Point Cube = 274625 Color Points) and you can have different gamma correction to other 3D LUT slots (without additional measurements runs)

See there: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ries-calibration-thread-117.html#post54189177

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ema-calibration-software-35.html#post54639242

#713 ·
Anyone else having problem with Ted`s calibration disc on the oppo 203 player after the latest -0922 firmware update,it wont load the disc (unknown disc) message on the display (will not load 4k uhd prometheus or pacific rim either) several other discs are ok,oppo contacted and waiting for answer.

#714 ·
Udp20x-51-0922

Hi, I have checked yesterday and it was playing with OPPO 203 EU (UDP20X-51-0922 Firmware)

Have you performed a factory reset after the firmware update?

I will check Pacific Rim UHD later.

#717 ·
That’s sounds like a specific hardware problem of your device :( I have tested it with my OPPO 203 EU with 0922 Firmware the disc plays fine here

#727 ·
Hi! can anyone explain to me the difference between automatic, wide and extended color range? Which one should I use for HDR?

Another question, what is the new "Technicolor expert" image mode? appeared with the update of the new firmware on my LG C7P.

#728 ·
Hi! can anyone explain to me the difference between automatic, wide and extended color range? Which one should I use for HDR?

Another question, what is the new "Technicolor expert" image mode? appeared with the update of the new firmware on my LG C7P.

Auto - the display will pick the right setting based on input signal from source
Wide - widest color points the display can produce
Extended - REC709 Gamut

#732 ·
ConnecTEDDD

Hey Ted, I just ordered your latest calibration disc.
Not because I really need a second calibration disc, the one I already have works as I would expect it to.
But because you are such a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share that knowledge with us.

I ordered this disc/donation because I want to support all your hard work.:)
Thanks Ted.

ss

#734 · (Edited)
I'm trying to profile my K10A to a CR250 using chromasurf and CRI APP on a 65B6 OLED and keep getting the error messages that I didn't use to get on other displays.

This all started about the time I switched to an OLED display but at about that time, I updated chromasurf and possibly CRI App.

Can't really tell if its the display or one of the two programs that I use.

Has anyone else come across this and knows what's happening.
Hello @JimP, how are you? Ted told me that you have the same problem as me to create the meter profile on my LG OLED C7P, could you find a solution? If you like we can share information ... :)

I tried to create with the version of Calman 2016 5.7.2.61 and I did not have luminance problems with the color red, but Ted told me that all the versions of 2016 have a bug that generates errors. Did you do this test?