AVS Forum banner

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk

224K views 1K replies 160 participants last post by  Dirk Pajonk 
#1 ·

LightSpace CMS Software at it's current version is not supporting External Pattern Generator, excect CineTAL's DAVIO (5.500$) and Pandora PLUTO (4.000$). (Lumagen it will be supported in a few weeks)

It's using their Internal Pattern Generator using your Notebook HDMI Out (Extended Desktop) to calibrate your target display. This with the proper setup will not produce any problem, but there a lot of discusion about inaccurate notebook HDMI Output from other software providers...

BTW there Chapters inside my disk that you can compare your HDMI Output by taking measurements using the Disk Chapter vs. HDMI Out, so you can identify if you have done any mistake at your HDMI Output configuration.

To solve all these possible problems, I have created a Blu-Ray Disk that it syncs with LightSpace to perform Automated 10-Point Cube or 17-Point Cube Calibrations with only a Single Mouse Click!

The disk has been tested by myself over 10 times and there is not any problem. I gave a test version disk out to the LightSpace Evaluation Team also.

If you are intersted by playing your films via your specific Blu-Ray Player it is always best to use that Disk as the patch generator, as the calibration will account for any inaccuracies in the image path, including any inaccuracies with the Blu-Ray Player.

BluRay Pattern Disk will always be the most accurate source to calibrate a Home Theater Chain (Source-TV or Source-connected throu AV-TV).

Think you have the best reference pattern generator of the world (10.000$) and you calibrate a TV Set.

The problem is that the Consumer Player are not so accurate so it will distort the final calibration because of their inaccurate output.

These are examples of Consumer Blu-Ray Players that tested using Quantum Data HDMI Analyser:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/september-2011/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-blu-ray-player/panasonic-dmp-bdt210-hdmi-benchmark-tables-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/november-2011/lg-bd670-blu-ray-player/lg-bd670-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/december-2011/samsung-bd-d6500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d6500-hdmi-analysis-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/july-2011/samsung-bd-d5500-blu-ray-player/samsung-bd-d5500-hdmi-test-results-lg.jpg

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/2011/june-2011/sony-bdp-s580-blu-ray-player/sony-bdp-s580-hdmi-results-lg.jpg

As you see , all players are changing the signal at their output, so calibrating using a Ted's Calibration Disk is the most accurate way of calibrating a consumer setup, calibrating and correcting errors to the whole chain.

I'm performing 3D-Cube Calibrations for one month already using my LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, The software has a mode that is used mainly at professional post-facilities - DI (Digital Intermediate, SDI-HD connection etc.) grading system to play the patches in a very similar way, again calibrating the whole image chain - that you can select the time that each pattern is displayed, this is called DIP mode in LightSpace.

So after tons of work, i have create a disk that is sync perfect with LightSpace Software with a very simple way as you have only to click 'ok' with your mouse at LightSpace window to start the measurements the same time while at your TV screen you see the countdown's last frame.

There's 10-Point Cube (1000 Colors) Chapters inside the disk and 17-Point Cube (4913 Colors) Chapters also, with time per color selection of 3sec (For Klein Meters) 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...........

To find out which time chapter is for your display there is a Meter Time per Patch Finder Chapter that displays the darkest colors of the selected LUT resolution and LightSpace tells you what reading was the longest, so it's very easy to decide ..... As you know measuring Dark Colors with a meter is taking more time, so this Finder Chapter is critical to find out with your current meter settings to your current measuring display the exact time it takes to read the Darkest Color. Incorrect setting will drive the whole operation out of sync...

For iD3 from my test using Pioneer KURO with the deepest black as Dark readings takes longer time, the correct time for me was 6 sec per color. That means 1000 color for 1 hour 40 minutes and 4913 colors for 8 hours and 11 minutes by iD3, if you have Klein then you will need 4 Hours for 4913 Colors (using 3 sec, Chapter).

Of cource if you use LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator these times are shorter.

This is an example of measuring the Final LUT loaded to my eecolor after performing a 17-Point Cube Calibration using my Disk.

As i have write to previous posts, professional industry software like LightSpace, THX CineCube and TrueLight, they don't have any dE report, they calculate the corretion LUT preventing problems that can appear by extreme corrections, they fix what it can be fixed without producing new problems to the image, so there is no need to check the dE of 4913 colors after the profilling......

I have add also some very good patterns, not available anywhere, to verity the Final LUT for Distortion or other color problems, you can identify with these patterns also if your TV's Controls are introducing any error (banding etc.) while you are using them... with my Patterns

If you need to Verify The Final LUT using our popular CalMAN 5, i have added 11+21-Step Grayscale, 4+5 Step Saturation, 4-5 Step Luminance, Color Checker Chapters that are made by the Exact RGB Triplets that CalMAN requests each pattern. These Chapters can be used for manual calibration also.

The Pattern Size i used is 640x360px, 11.11% Window Size, the Same Size as Lumagen Large Windows.

Disk is encoded using 24p framerate.

* UPDATE: 23 October 2013 - The Disk has been released here: www.displaycalibrations.com

Disk Release Notes has been added here also.

See less See more
#2 ·
These are 2 Reports of Profiling my KURO using LightSpace with my Disk as a Source:

Using 10-Point Cube Chapter (1000 Colors)

and measuring after that using 5-Point Saturation using the Disk as a Source also with CalMAN 5.

Using 17-Point Cube Chapter (4913 Colors)

and measuring after that using 5-Point Saturation using the Disk as a Source also with CalMAN 5.

#3 ·
I forgot to mention that you can use LightSpace Quick Profiling Chapter to verify the performance of your 10-Point or 17-Point Cube.

This is the graphical presentation in 3D Space of what Quick Profiling is measuring,

Total 141 Colors (21-Step Grayscale + 20-Step Luminance of Primary+Secondary Colors)

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz  /t/1454460/lightspace-3d-lut-home-cinema-calibration-software#post_22889979

Ted, as I have already stated you should be commended for offering your disk to users free of charge. So this is not being asked as a slam against you or your disk. As two of the selling features of LS is speed and accuracy how long will I need to sit with the BD player remote moving from screen to screen and how many times do I need to push buttons. I think this is relevant when dismissing the need for a Radiance which requires no user interaction during an auto calibration. Also how have you verified your images to a traceable standard?

To sync the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk played from your Blu-Ray Player with the software it requires ONLY ONE Synced Click from your Notebook Mouse.

All The DIP Mode Chapters are Starting with a 5 Sec of Chapter Announcement like this one: (You can check the total time here or from inside LightSpace software.)

Then there is a 5sec 'Old Film Like' Countdown like this one:

And when you see the last frame:

You have to click 'OK' the LightSpace Start Measurements Confirmation Window - Click 'OK' to start the measurements.

The LightSpace has a Percentance Bar you are able to see your progress...

There is not any other user prompt till the end, After the last Color Patch is being measured, the LightSpace is saving that sesssion of measurements automatically and the same time you will see that screen at your TV screen:

If you want to profile your TV with Resolution of 10-Point Cube (1000 Colors) then LightSpace is taking exact 1000 Measurements. This is a huge advandage over other software approach that is measuring each Color 1.8 to 2.5 times Average minimum.. Taking 1.800-2.500 Reads Minimum for a 1000 Color Calibration...

You can test your Notebook Output Using the Quick Profile Chapter (141 Colors - See Above Post for details) to see of it matches with the measurements you are getting from your Blu-Ray Player.

If It matches when you can use the LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator (Closed Loop Mode) that is Auto-Advance to the next color after each reading.

Using Closed Loop Mode, the time is not Fixed like the Disk Method (DIP Mode) but this will reduce the total time in Half or more....

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22890344

will this disc work with CalMAN 5 too? and for those not using anything more than a BD player hooked up to the HDTV?

You Can Use this disk to Manual Calibrate your Display as it has 4+5 Step Saturation Patterns, 11+21 Step Grayscale, created with RGB Triplet Targets from CalMAN 5....

You can perform Classic 1D LUT Calibration from CalMAN, but you can also, (if you have time to do it) CalMAN AutoCal but it will require from you to manually select each one pattern as CalMAN Request each one.

To perform this, you will need a lot of hours, of manual selecting each pattern from the disk menu..

CalMAN will prompt from you to display the required pattern so you can select it manually from the disk, but this is not the purpose of the disk, I made this disk to use it with LightSpace, to perform Large 3D-Cube Calibrations with a Single Click....

#11 ·
Ted, very interesting.

I see you have the Blue over tone with your Kuro, that and wanting 3D (stereo) was why I got rid of my 141 and went with the 65VT50.

I am going to wait and see how Calman 5.1 comes out. But you are nudging me closer to LS.

ss

#12 ·
These are 3 examples of measuring the 3 different 10-Point Cube (1000 Colors) LUTs that are created from LightSpace with my eeColor using CalMAN for Final LUT Verification.

I runned 3 10-Point Cube profillings with 3 different KURO Initial Settings, the difference in settings where:

Picture 01 (Calibration Date: 26-12-2012): Pioneer KURO with Color 0 and Gamma +1 to all.

Picture 02 (Calibration Date: 27-12-2012): Pioneer KURO with Color +1 and Gamma 0 to all.

Picture 03 (Calibration Date: 28-12-2012): Pioneer KURO with Color 0 and Gamma 0 to all.

The Pattern Source was the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk and it's used a Chapter that it displays each color for 6 sec.

The total time it took to complete that automated 1000 color profiling was 1 Hour and 40 Min. with my iD3.

Anytime you can use your notebook HDMI out for a source and that will cut the measurement time in half, this have to do with your display/meter.

I used CalMAN as Verification Tool to check how it's measured using another software.

As you are looking the Charts think that these Targets that CalMAN is measuring is not the Actual Points of Correction that LightSpace has measure and applied correction.

#13 ·

This is a recorded video that proofs the perfect Sync between the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk as a Source for the displaying of the 4913 Colors of a 17-Point Cube.

I opened the DIP Mode (7sec) Chapter of my Disk with Media Player Classic HC, Media Player Classic Window supposed to be your Display , I pressed only one Synced Mouse Click and after 9 hours and 22 minutes it's still Synced Perfectly!

Check that picture before playing the video:

To help you about what you are seeing, the BLUE HightlighTED Box is the LightSpace Internal Pattern Generator Window....

The RED HightlighTED Box is the Media Player that is playing the Chapter Video i'm using for the Disk, this window supposed to be your target display you are profiling....

The GREEN Arrow indicates the 11.11% Window Pattern supposed to be centered at yout Profiling Display...

*** I used DIP Mode 7 Sec Chapter only for demonstration of the Perfect Sync between the sofware and my Disk. DIP Mode time depends on the probe and the display you are profiling, and might be shorter than 9 hours. To my KURO Display with iD3 using 1.5sec Probe Intergration Time, i'm using the 6 Sec DIP Mode Chapter (8 Hours). This is because KURO has the deepest Black and this is taking more time for the meter to read it, so to stay in Sync i had to use that Chapter. Dark shades generally is taking more time to be measured...***

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22890170

Don't see a download link, how does one get a Disk?
+1

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22897414

+1

Hey Guys, Thank you for your interest, the 'Plain Menu' version of the disk is already out to our Closed Team for testing...

Once I will finish the Final Menu Layout, the Blu-Ray ISO will be available for download, the disk is estimated about 8GB.... Zipped about ~500MB.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22899510

Hey Guys, Thank you for your interest, the 'Plain Menu' version of the disk is already out to our Closed Team for testing...

Once I will finish the Final Menu Layout, the Blu-Ray ISO will be available for download, the disk is estimated about 8GB.... Zipped about ~500MB.

thanks ted for your great work

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22899766

I have added 24 new patterns, so the project is delayed more. With these additions any LUT Distrotion/Display Control Problems/Banding/Posterization....etc can be easily detecTED by using the Color Reproduction Chapters

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22913932

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22899766

I have added 24 new patterns, so the project is delayed more. With these additions any LUT Distrotion/Display Control Problems/Banding/Posterization....etc can be easily detecTED by using the Color Reproduction Chapters

looking great, can't wait

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22891944

You Can Use this disk to Manual Calibrate your Display as it has 4+5 Step Saturation Patterns, 11+21 Step Grayscale, created with RGB Triplet Targets from CalMAN 5....

again I know this disc wasn't designed for CalMAN 5, but are those patterns in the same sequence CalMAN 5 is expecting?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_22914502

again I know this disc wasn't designed for CalMAN 5, but are those patterns in the same sequence CalMAN 5 is expecting?

Yes, to verify the result with CalMAN5 if you want. Sequence is with the same order as CalMAN 5 Requests them.

#22 ·
Yesterday, during the testing of some chapters of my disk, I used the DIP Mode 8 Sec of the disk of 17-Point Cube Profiling (4913 Colors), just for testing reasons, to see if something goes wrong before giving the disk out to public.

From the total 8 sec of displaying each color, I used 2 sec delay before each color reading to leave 6 sec for color measurement, since 5.8sec is the longest iD3 read time measuring Black or my KURO, and after ulpoading the LUT to my eecolor i used my disk chapters to measure 21-Step Grayscale + 5-Step Saturations usinf CalMAN 5.

For My KURO+iD3 combination the 6sec DIP Mode is required (taking 8 total hours) for those who prefer to calibrate 4913 Colors using their Actual Blu-Ray Player as a Pattern Generator.

I used the long DIP Mode 8 sec Chapter just for testing, it took 11 Hours to complete. I don't think anyone has to use this Chapter if he has an iD3, I have added 3 throu 12 sec. Chapters for the disk to be compatible with slower meters like 1D2 or Chroma 5 etc. for any meter.

Here is the report of a GeneraTED LUT from LightSpace profiling my KURO using My Disk as a Source for a 17-Point Cube measuring one time each color (4913 Colors = 4913 Meter Readings):

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_23024503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeenl  /t/1454804/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk#post_23021522

any news on this disk ?

thanks

Ted has been busy with a real job, calibrations, extensive LightSpace beta work, etc. He'll be back.

thanks for replying :thumbup:

#26 ·

Thank you for the interest, there is a new delay due to the addition of a lot of new patterns and menu design - authoring.

I have added the Chapters to support new LightSpace's Hybrid Profilling Mode (21-Step Grayscale combined with 17-Point 3D Cube) also.