Blu Ray..RGB or YCcCr to calibrate TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just now got onto the Blu Ray train and bought a Sony S390. Trying to calibrate tv for it. I have used THX Optimizer and Monster HDTV dvd. On HDMI color space for blue ray player I choose RGB . When I use the 2 other YCbCr settings I get real bad greens on my blacks. With RGB the blacks are not colored. Ive read that you should use YCbCr for dvd/blu ray but my HDTV's grey scale isnt properly calibrated or something.
When I use YCbCr the shadows around the THX logo are a dark black green. But with RGB theres no coloration.
Cheap TV or just badly calibrated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Have you updated the firmware for the S390? The early firmwares have an RGB mode that is broken on it. I know it was fixed on the 590 and 790 but I never tested the 390. Because of that, I'd run YCbCr to be safe and not sorry, but update the firmware on it first.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128

The S390's RGB mode was fixed in a firmware update as well. The S185 may also be fixed, though I haven't tested it.

ADU
post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Assuming the equipment isn't having a problem like the one mentioned...

The question of using RGB or YCbCr has been asked and answered many times on AVS, a search should turn up plenty of previous answers.

About 40% of the time YCbCr 4:2:2 is the right/best mode to use. About 50% of the time (or so) you get the same results with RGB mode and YCbCr mode. About 5%-10% of the time RGB produces better looking images. If just depends on what works best... the TV itself is likely to be the "determiner" in which mode is used... again, assuming the disc player isn't problematic. If you do use RGB mode, you should use 16-235 mode (often called Normal, or video, or standard if there are no numbers associated with the setting).

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128

As usual, you makes some good points Doug. The player settings are pretty well covered in the S390/S590 thread.

Quote:

If you do use RGB mode, you should use 16-235 mode (often called Normal, or video, or standard if there are no numbers associated with the setting).

This is probably covered in the link above, but on the Sony S390, the different picture settings are invoked by pressing OPTIONS on the remote, and selecting VIDEO SETTINGS. The PICTURE QUALITY SETTING should be set to STANDARD by default, which is best. This feature is a little buggy on the S390 btw, so after saving the PQ Setting, I recommend switching the player off and then back on before attempting to adjust/calibrate the display.

I can't advise the OP on which HDMI color mode would be best for his particular display. The choices are YCC 4:2:2, YCC 4:4:4, and RGB, but the only setting that works with my older CRT TV is RGB. The color looks perfect in the RGB mode though since I updated the player to the lastest firmware (currently M11.R.0422). There's no more green push or green clipping. (Yay!)

ADU
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page