Calman 5 newbie questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello forum,

I'm a new Calman 5 / D3 user and have some newbie questions. I'm working on a Panny VT50 and have DDC established. I'm using the Calman patterns from the AVS disk.

First question. Is it really necessary to set color level using a blue filter before using the meter? That is the way that the advanced workflow is setup. I have an old blue filter that came with the DVE disk, but thought the reason for using a program like Calman was to be more precise than I can get looking through the plastic. Anyway, I skipped this step and left the color setting on 50. Is that ok or is it a mistake? I was able to get the CMS dialed in almost perfectly with color set on 50 and Tint set to 0. Is that ok?

Second question: How do you determine the correct contrast setting? The disk shows that you want bars up to 234 flashing. I get this no matter what setting I pick, all the way up to 100. I noticed that the THX Bright Room setting uses contrast of 100 as well. I read somewhere on this forum that you should leave contrast at 100, brightness at 50 until after the other parts of the calibration are completed. That is what I did.

Last question. For ISF Day / Night. Do most of you use different gamma settings for day / night? In my first run, to get the target of 2.2, I had to set the display to 2.4. It looks great at night, but may be a bit dark for day. Thinking about rerunning things with a 2.0 target for day. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Mark, I'm not entirely familiar with CalMan, (having a LightSpace CMS), but the idea behind the is to get the level of saturation with the blue filter is to place the device to a starting point where the level of saturation is coherent with the displayed color space.

If you are trying to calibrate the device, the software soon or later will force you thru iterations to set a better saturation level, if you are trying to model a LUT to set your color space in your device, you might have three situations:
1- you're about right and the LUT "fit" the color space you want to represent
2- you're oversaturated and you get distortions of the color space that the LUT has to compensate
3- you're undersaturated then the LUT cannot replicate all the color of your color space making boundaries errors.

imagine the paradox: if you have the saturation value so off that the image is black and white, how you can reproduce colors even with a calibration?biggrin.gif

Walter
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Got it. That makes sense.

Any ideas on the contrast setting?

Thanks Walter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvolpatto View Post

Mark, I'm not entirely familiar with CalMan, (having a LightSpace CMS), but the idea behind the is to get the level of saturation with the blue filter is to place the device to a starting point where the level of saturation is coherent with the displayed color space.

If you are trying to calibrate the device, the software soon or later will force you thru iterations to set a better saturation level, if you are trying to model a LUT to set your color space in your device, you might have three situations:
1- you're about right and the LUT "fit" the color space you want to represent
2- you're oversaturated and you get distortions of the color space that the LUT has to compensate
3- you're undersaturated then the LUT cannot replicate all the color of your color space making boundaries errors.

imagine the paradox: if you have the saturation value so off that the image is black and white, how you can reproduce colors even with a calibration?biggrin.gif

Walter

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page