Best Buy Calibration. Yes or No? ( Free Service from Rewards ) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RIKINKY17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys I was wondering if I should give Best Buy a chance on calibrating my Tv? The service will be free but I am afraid of them doing something I will not be able to reverse in the end thru the Service Menu. Any Advice would be awesome.
RIKINKY17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKINKY17 View Post

Hey Guys I was wondering if I should give Best Buy a chance on calibrating my Tv? The service will be free but I am afraid of them doing something I will not be able to reverse in the end thru the Service Menu. Any Advice would be awesome.

It is hit or miss honestly, more often miss but I did see a good calibration that was posted for a Sammy plasma recently. There really is little reason to get in the service menu these days on most sets. What set do you have if I can ask ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael TLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

LG ... SM calibration ... No
Samsung ... No
Sony ... No
Sharp ... No
Panasonic ... Maybe ...
Toshiba ... No ...

Chances of messing things up in the SM is slim to none. And if they do ... something called warranty.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Michael TLV is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RIKINKY17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its a Samsung Plasma 58c550 series
RIKINKY17 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKINKY17 View Post

Its a Samsung Plasma 58c550 series

Kick me if I'm wrong but I think you have to go to the 6+ series before you have 10p Grayscale and the Color Management System available, leaving the 550 with 2 point Grayscale only. If this is the case the calibrator can get you a good GS as well as setting color luminance based on red to begin with and then finding the lowest average (of all colors) error setting. I say go for it.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael TLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

Yup ... no cms in 5 series.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Michael TLV is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RIKINKY17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what does this mean? It's best I do it or
not?
RIKINKY17 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael TLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

It means there are even fewer options or less things to screw up ...

It's free ... go for it.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Michael TLV is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
RIKINKY17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Michael.
RIKINKY17 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco - East Bay area
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Wait a minute... the calibration is not exactly "free"... sure there is no cost per se as it is paid for (in this case) with points from the Rewards Card program... BUT... those points caould be used for something else... Blu-ray discs or to lower the cost of some other purchase. In the end those points do have real value and there's no sense throwing that value away on something that's likely to have a negative outcome.

People have asked about BB calibration on AVS MANY times over the last few years... there should be MANY threads discussing it. The general consensus is that you have maybe a 10% chance of getting a useful calibration and a 90% chance of getting something that either makes no difference or makes the TV look worse.

To my way of thinking, the points are worth $100-$300 if you purchase something tangible (like Blu-ray discs or whatever)... so that makes a bad BB calibraion worth, literally, $100-$300. I personally wouldn't spend that much money on something with a 90% chance of failure. Much better to hire a pro (independent) calibrator and just use the Rewards points on something you know you will get value from.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Doug Blackburn is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 319
There are calibrators who call themselves pros that are not much better than the best buy guys. One must choose a good calibrator and then be happy with a rec 709 calibration over the wrong to various extents the view had before. many prefer more saturated and brighter than the end result after calibration. i would save the points

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
JVoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In my opinion, I think you should use the points on other things. But not because I think the BB guy is incompetent but because I think you should spend a few hundred dollars and buy your own equipment and learn how to calibrate your TV yourself. Calman 5 is a very straightforward program and the Grayscale Calibration for Dummies Guide can walk you through a calibration. You can even download HCFR for free if I'm not mistaken which means all you'll need is a meter which can be had on the cheap. If you're dead set on a BB calibration, then go for it! I have a hard time believing that if I can use a Calman 5 and a $300 meter and get the results that I do, that even a Best Buy calibrator can't achieve the same results. He's supposed to provide you with a before and after report anyways. If the report says he didn't change anything or provide you with noticeable changes, then call the store and let them know. A DIY cal will probably not be as accurate as a guy who's been doing this sort of thing for many years day in and day out, but it will be close with a little effort. I think the same will hold true for a BB calibration. It will not be professional grade but you should have noticeable changes.
JVoth is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Wait a minute... the calibration is not exactly "free"... sure there is no cost per se as it is paid for (in this case) with points from the Rewards Card program... BUT... those points caould be used for something else... Blu-ray discs or to lower the cost of some other purchase. In the end those points do have real value and there's no sense throwing that value away on something that's likely to have a negative outcome.

People have asked about BB calibration on AVS MANY times over the last few years... there should be MANY threads discussing it. The general consensus is that you have maybe a 10% chance of getting a useful calibration and a 90% chance of getting something that either makes no difference or makes the TV look worse.

To my way of thinking, the points are worth $100-$300 if you purchase something tangible (like Blu-ray discs or whatever)... so that makes a bad BB calibraion worth, literally, $100-$300. I personally wouldn't spend that much money on something with a 90% chance of failure. Much better to hire a pro (independent) calibrator and just use the Rewards points on something you know you will get value from.

The calibration is EXACTLY free. it isn't paid for in any amount of reward certificates. It's absolutely free provided you're a premier silver rewards member (meaning you've spent $2,500 in a calendar year at BB). it doesn't cost any points or cause you to redeem any certificates.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The calibration is EXACTLY free. it isn't paid for in any amount of reward certificates. It's absolutely free provided you're a premier silver rewards member (meaning you've spent $2,500 in a calendar year at BB). it doesn't cost any points or cause you to redeem any certificates.

Then if there is nothing else that you can redeem your free calibration for in lieu of a calibration, then you can take a chance that you'll get somebody who truly knows what they are doing and won't screw your tv up by going into the service menu or some such nonsense like that. As previously mentioned, most people have been less than satisfied with their BB calibrations and some have reported problems afterwards.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
jdoostil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If there are multiple calibrators in you area, find out some names and send them each an email. Ask them for a 5-10 minute phone call to answer your questions about the service. You should be able to feel them each out in that amount of time. AFAIK, most areas only have 2-3 guys (unless you are in LA or something).

Good luck!
jdoostil is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off