Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
First of all I know I messed up by going into the service menu but I did this when I had little knowledge of tv settings and I saw an article saying you need to go into the service menu. Like all the other people who made this mistake I also did the HDMI calibration I got lucky and the image was just a bit sharper than usual so I used 8x8 1080p checkerboard pattern and did the test again and it was successful. But now I have to yank the brightness all the way up to 56. Kind of annoying because the preset brightness looked good to me is there anyway I can fix this issue?

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Did you write down the settings before you changed anything in the SM?
post #3 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

No I didn't see the need to since I used the 8x8 figure at 1080p which I knew would make the test successful. It was successful it's just that I know have to yank the brightness to 56 where as I didn't even have to touch the brightness or the contrast setting. I

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #4 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

No I didn't see the need to since I used the 8x8 figure at 1080p which I knew would make the test successful. It was successful it's just that I know have to yank the brightness to 56 where as I didn't even have to touch the brightness or the contrast setting. I

at this point you really have only two options: try to find a way to redo the ADC calibration that gives you an acceptable result or get your TV serviced (most likely main board swap will do the trick, since the ADC calibrations are only done in the factory and no service tech will do that when they can just replace a board and leave)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 226
The problem with trying to get Samsung to replace the board is that if the tech detects that the problem was caused by the owner diddling with the service menu (and Samsung is VERY well-aware that this is an issue), it could be very difficult to get Samsung to pay for the "repair" and the owner will be out the substantial cost of replacing the circuit board.

By the way... the problem this owner described could not be fixed if he had written down every setting in the service menu... once you begin the calibration process he mentions, you'd BETTER be a technician in the assembly factory or you are screwed.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #6 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

The problem with trying to get Samsung to replace the board is that if the tech detects that the problem was caused by the owner diddling with the service menu (and Samsung is VERY well-aware that this is an issue), it could be very difficult to get Samsung to pay for the "repair" and the owner will be out the substantial cost of replacing the circuit board.

By the way... the problem this owner described could not be fixed if he had written down every setting in the service menu... once you begin the calibration process he mentions, you'd BETTER be a technician in the assembly factory or you are screwed.

I was hoping for a positive spin on his situation but I can see now that once you venture into those waters, there's no return frown.gif
post #7 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

yeah, the board may need to be replaced at the owner's cost

though if the OP had copied the values in the ADC Target and ADC Result area, it's possible the changes could have been reversed

post #8 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys the problem that I was having is that I was sending the checkerboard pattern at PC levels (0-255) which caused the tv to lower the brightness alot, I put the pattern on my Xbox 360 set the Xbox to standard reference levels (16-235) re-did the calibration and voila' problem solved now my brightness and contrast look like it did when I bought the TV. For anyone that has the HDMI Calibration fail send a 100 ire checkerboard pattern AT 16-235 LEVELS or else your brightness and contrast will be off.

post #9 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

Ok guys the problem that I was having is that I was sending the checkerboard pattern at PC levels (0-255) which caused the tv to lower the brightness alot, I put the pattern on my Xbox 360 set the Xbox to standard reference levels (16-235) re-did the calibration and voila' problem solved now my brightness and contrast look like it did when I bought the TV. For anyone that has the HDMI Calibration fail send a 100 ire checkerboard pattern AT 16-235 LEVELS or else your brightness and contrast will be off.

good to know, sounds like you got lucky

post #10 of 31 Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

good to know, sounds like you got lucky
Ya I don't why anyone needs to go into the service menu these days.Since you can control everything from the user menus.

post #11 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ventured in my Samsung PS51E6500's service menu, just to see what it looks like and to see how esy it may be to calibrate using it.............couldn't understand most of the settings available lol. Dangerous wink.gif

Hopefully this TV has all the settings necessary for a full calibration without going into the deadly service menu.

post #12 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Nothing in there for you but trouble your set has sufficient controls to get a great cal without going there

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

the only thing I go in the SM for on a Samsung is to enable the N/D modes (CAL-NIGHT and CAL-DAY, which are like two extra Movie modes) and then lock the settings post-cal to avoid accidental changes

one more plus is that I can have the settings from one input copy to all the others, which means if I want multiple HDMI inputs to use the same settings, I only need to enter them once

post #14 of 31 Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Nothing in there for you but trouble your set has sufficient controls to get a great cal without going there
good to know.

post #15 of 31 Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I ventured in my Samsung PS51E6500's service menu, just to see what it looks like and to see how esy it may be to calibrate using it.............couldn't understand most of the settings available lol. Dangerous wink.gif

Hopefully this TV has all the settings necessary for a full calibration without going into the deadly service menu.

It does have ALL an owner needs for calibration and getting all the picture quality it is capable of.

Very risky and makes no sense just to "try and see " what is there. In some TV service menus, merely stepping through the service menu items or entering a menu item can permanently alter the factory setup.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

It does have ALL an owner needs for calibration and getting all the picture quality it is capable of.

Very risky and makes no sense just to "try and see " what is there. In some TV service menus, merely stepping through the service menu items or entering a menu item can permanently alter the factory setup.
I defiantly agree with you. Most sets these days have every setting you need for a calibration.

post #17 of 31 Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I defiantly agree with you. Most sets these days have every setting you need for a calibration.

post #18 of 31 Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM

When I buy a TV or projector. I make sure it has a full CMS system. So I know it has all the controls I need to do a good calibration.

post #19 of 31 Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only thing I go in the SM for on a Samsung is to enable the N/D modes (CAL-NIGHT and CAL-DAY, which are like two extra Movie modes) and then lock the settings post-cal to avoid accidental changes

one more plus is that I can have the settings from one input copy to all the others, which means if I want multiple HDMI inputs to use the same settings, I only need to enter them once

So you recommend going into the Service Menu to make changes?
post #20 of 31 Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 AM

Liked: 23
^ ^ ^ Apparently so. Not necessary though. This is not stated in an owners manual to do so and a TV owner would risk voiding a warranty. We read all too many times here on AVS that some imply or advise to go onto a service menu "just to enable" something or look at settings.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

When I buy a TV or projector. I make sure it has a full CMS system. So I know it has all the controls I need to do a good calibration.

Unfortunately having full CMS and a working CMS are not always mutually inclusive.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

So you recommend going into the Service Menu to make changes?

you activate the modes in the service menu and use them in the user menu

there are only two parameters in the SM that are changed

Service Menu -> Expert ->

N/D Adjust: OFF to ON or FIX (whether you want the modes activated or not and settings locked or not)

Source: Current or All (whether you want the settings to be independent by input or not)

Of course, if you don't know how to navigate the SM properly or are uncomfortable with doing something like this, you shouldn't. And you certainly shouldn't do anything else while you're in there.

post #23 of 31 Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

also, these modes can be fully reset in the user menu and are adjusted in the user menu only... the only part that requires the SM is enabling them

post #24 of 31 Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

also, these modes can be fully reset in the user menu and are adjusted in the user menu only... the only part that requires the SM is enabling them

I don't know. I think suggesting someone go to the SM for anything is not good advice. Not everyone who frequents these forums are as knowledgeable as others and different firmware versions may affect SM settings, so unless someone has the exact same model/build number and firmware version, and even that's not a guarantee, it would probably be advisable to not venture there at all. Just a thought.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't know. I think suggesting someone go to the SM for anything is not good advice. Not everyone who frequents these forums are as knowledgeable as others and different firmware versions may affect SM settings, so unless someone has the exact same model/build number and firmware version, and even that's not a guarantee, it would probably be advisable to not venture there at all. Just a thought.

I understand your viewpoint and I'm not recommending everyone goes out and does this, just that there are two extra modes on certain Samsungs (usually the mid range to high end ones) for calibration purposes. Having a separate day and night mode per input can be useful to some and I know in the past pro calibrators have used these modes too (when they work properly).

Also, it's not uncommon to go into the service menus of some sets like the Panasonics to do grayscale and/or unlock certain picture modes. On the other hand, you wouldn't want to go into the service menu of an LG since there nothing useful for calibrators there and it's very easy to mess things up by just entering certain portions of the menu (think ADC/White Balance calibrations performed in the factory when the TV was made).

post #26 of 31 Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,
Because to make a square two will need 2vertical and 2 horisontal line. in a checker board there are 9 vertikcal and 9 horisonatl line each. so from 9 lines available we pick 2 and the combinations of the two lines can be calclauted as C(9,2).
post #27 of 31 Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Only reason I had to go into samsung service menu is for a older 32" LCD. Dynamic contrast and some other post processing was enabled, even if you disable it in the menus.

But I agree there is no need to go into service menu in modern TV's.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #28 of 31 Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Hi, 

I really need help (in more ways than one of course, but lets stick to the TV problem)

I was having some problems with my Samsung UE40D65. So, I did a google search, and in the first thread I read about the Service menu and resetting everything.

I thought, this will be great and easy and I will be ok when all over. As you all already know, just the opposite has happened.

No, I did not write anything down as I thought it was getting reset to how I purchased it.

Is there anyone anywhere who has documented what the menu items mean so I can step by step try to correct things?

Thanks in advance

post #29 of 31 Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

What do you mean, with 16-235 levels? How can I do that?
post #30 of 31 Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader001 View Post
What do you mean, with 16-235 levels? How can I do that?
16 - 235 are video luminance levels, black at 16 to white at 235.

0 - 255 are computer luminance levels, black at 0 to white at 255.
Ph8te likes this.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page