SpectraCal C3 Meter with CalMAN 5 Tutorial - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would this be good for a beginner looking to do basic calibration on a Panasonic 60ST50?

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/c3.html

If not maybe some alternatives? I'd like to stay as cheap as possible with the best bang for my buck.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Would this be good for a beginner looking to do basic calibration on a Panasonic 60ST50?

http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/c3.html

If not maybe some alternatives? I'd like to stay as cheap as possible with the best bang for my buck.

Thanks.

I'm a beginner who bought this bundle a couple of months ago in order to calibrate my Samsung 64D7000. I have nothing to compare it with but it's fairly easy to use and the benefit, particularly after grayscale calibration, is spectacular and very obvious. I'm pleased with my purchase and the result.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I started out with that combo too. I exchanged my C3 for an i1Display Pro so I could calibrate 3D.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #4 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 15
Spectracal read my mind, they put this combo on Amazon!!!! This is great news as I mostly buy there and was wondering why this combo was not put there sooner. Im very happy for the company, this is a step in the right direction.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

Spectracal read my mind, they put this combo on Amazon!!!! This is great news as I mostly buy there and was wondering why this combo was not put there sooner. Im very happy for the company, this is a step in the right direction.

Yes we are putting most of our products up on Amazon as a stocking distributor. That way those that wish to purchase directly from Amazon and have Prime also get free two day shipping etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040MTJZ6
Joseph Helmy likes this.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Yes we are putting most of our products up on Amazon as a stocking distributor. That way those that wish to purchase directly from Amazon and have Prime also get free two day shipping etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040MTJZ6

Derek, do you think it's worth it to go with the i1 Display Pro (OEM) w/ CalMAN 5 Tutorial instead of the C3 meter? Looking to get the most out of my 60ST50.

thanks.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Derek, do you think it's worth it to go with the i1 Display Pro (OEM) w/ CalMAN 5 Tutorial instead of the C3 meter? Looking to get the most out of my 60ST50.

thanks.

I'm far from an expert but the i1pro does have sealed optics and is less likely to drift over time, the C3 will drift. You can also do non contact mode for the I1pro which is required to do a 3d cal and also is recommended by some here over contact mode.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Is it this simple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mwphqjqcsg

Would prefer simple calibration like that, not spending hours going back to menus adjusting then recalibrating.

Pioneer LX-5090 and Panasonic TXP42X50B

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM

This is an old thread, but perhaps Derek or someone will see this and opine whether this setup will work with a Panasonic Viera TC-65PS64. My concern is that there is no access to a sevice menu, although there are a good many settings in Advanced Settings or Pro or whatever. I believe I could get a two-point gray scale, but wanted to be sure before I place the order. It's in my queue at Amazon.

Thanks.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #10 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsanford View Post

This is an old thread, but perhaps Derek or someone will see this and opine whether this setup will work with a Panasonic Viera TC-65PS64. My concern is that there is no access to a sevice menu, although there are a good many settings in Advanced Settings or Pro or whatever. I believe I could get a two-point gray scale, but wanted to be sure before I place the order. It's in my queue at Amazon.

Thanks.

Yes it looks like that display does have 2 point cuts and gains as well as a CMS for RGB. Those controls should give you the ability to significantly improve your picture.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I picked up the Calman 5 Tutorial + C3 bundle on Amazon recently. Mostly because I am just interested in expanding my knowledge abit and for my new TV. Unfortunately my new Vizio only has basic color, tint and rgb gains/offsets but I am very pleased with the results after running it thru the Calman tutorial. Definite improvement over what I had done by eye/blue filter. The user interface for the Calman is a little confusing at times but all in all after 5 or so sessions I was comfortable with it..
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks, sotti.

I have the same bundle arriving tomorrow, but am considering having a pro do the first cal, so perhaps I can check the Calman5/D3 against pro equipment and to tuneups later. This Panasonic TC-65PS64 is not flagship, and I am trying to develop a cost-effective strategy for a definitive initial cal as well as for maintenance. Any comments are welcome.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #13 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 AM

Still considering my options here. I have the C3/Calman5 Tutorial in hand, with an X-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055MBQOW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) arriving Thursday (I don't know what all I'll keep at this point).

The Calman5 Basic or Control looks like sweet spots for me, and if the Control supported DDC on this Panasonic TC-65PS64 (pretty much an S60 electronically with an ST60 anti-glare filter, I believe), I would spring for that. However, if the chart at http://store.spectracal.com/support/hardware-support.html is current, and I read it correctly, it does not. Can sotti or anyone confirm, and perhaps opine on the best package for me? I'm not sure I can afford a true spectro right now, but could afford the difference between the C3 and i1 Display Pro, and maybe the C6. The attraction of the i1 to me is the idea that it would be less subject to drift than the C3, but I have yet to find a headsup comparison of the C3/C6/i1.

Thanks.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #14 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Greetings

The Panasonic S64/S60/ST60 do not have support in firmware for DDC or ControlCAL's control.

The i1 Display Pro you have arriving is a better meter vs the C3.. The C3 is an older generation colorimeter... The C6 is essentially a i1 Display Pro.. They are still colorimeters.

As far as meters, I always recommend a i1Pro Spectrometer, even a used i1Pro Rev D ($250-$450) is great.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464411/what-would-you-rather-have-for-display-calibration

You could get a used i1Pro Spectro and profile your C3 to it on your actual display if you wanted to start with... the i1D3 profiled to the i1Pro Spectro on your actual display would be a better combo.

Or, just use the i1Pro Spectro.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page