Have a hard time adjusting gamma on an LCD monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi, I recently bought this monitor for gaming - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-313&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

Using the standard mode with hardware adjustments (brightness, contrast, RGB levels), I calibrated brightness, contrast, and RGB using X-Rite i1Display and HCFR. Yet, no matter what and how I adjust using hardware controls - gamma stays at about 1.7-1.8! My brightness is at 0 in hardware controls. The only way I can bring my gamma to 2.2 is via software calibration. i1Profiler was not good at this - it upped my brightness way too far and turned my greys into browns, bluish, greenish tinter colors. So, I used the super crappy awful Windows 7 color management calibration. At the very beginning when it asks to adjust gamma - I bring the bar down, test with HCFR and voila - gama is at 2.2. But why can't I do it with hardware? I saw some threads saying that this monitor needs NEGATIVE brightness that can be done only via software, right?

Also, Windows sucks at keeping calibrations and the system is overly complex. Is there a profiler software I can buy that will simply save and always apply in all software, video, games the calibration I have right now? i1Profiler will not let me save unless I calibrate through it, which makes things even worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OK, so I used Monitor Calibration Wizard and I was right - brightness had to come down to below 0. I think this utility does a good job forcing and keeping profiles!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page