Do RGB gains and offsets affect gamma or white balance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My monitor has adjustments for RGB, which I used to calibrate the white balance. They had heavy impact on the whole curve, but mostly in the middle.

And THEN my monitor has separate controls for RGB Gain and Offset. Those do not seem to change RGB balance at all... or I am missing something? They do seem to affect gamma at both ends. I always thought RGB gain and offset adjust RGB white balance on lower and upper ends, but this monitor has those separate RGBs controls that are not offsets or gains and they seem to adjust RGB white balance most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
RGB cuts and gains, really only effect white balance.

Gamma will measure differently after you make adjustments, but trying to tune gamma with cuts and gains will be an exercise in frustration.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

My monitor has adjustments for RGB, which I used to calibrate the white balance. They had heavy impact on the whole curve, but mostly in the middle.

And THEN my monitor has separate controls for RGB Gain and Offset. Those do not seem to change RGB balance at all... or I am missing something? They do seem to affect gamma at both ends. I always thought RGB gain and offset adjust RGB white balance on lower and upper ends, but this monitor has those separate RGBs controls that are not offsets or gains and they seem to adjust RGB white balance most.

Maybe your monitor has three RGB controls for each in essence cut, middle, and gain? Many of us use many more points to adlust white balance using an external video processor and CMS to supplement the the gain and cut RGBs that the set or display has, the nore the merrier. I am guessing that the plain RGB controls (not labeled cut or gain) are used to adjust metering off the 50 gray window.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page