Dell U2410 calibration to rec.709 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm new to this forum and looking for some sagely advice about calibrating my u2410 to rec709 spec for video editing/colorgrading. I currently run the u2410 connected via Blackmagic Design 10 bit hdmi output box to my mac os 10.8.2. I use this for full screen 16:9 video previews in Premiere Pro CS6 and DaVinci Resolve 9.1.1. My u2410 is set to YCbCr color input, graphics mode, sRGB color preset, and PC gamma. I've read these get me very close primaries and a gamma of ~2.1. I am also aware of the factory service menu where the white point of each color preset can be adjusted.

Some solutions that I've heard:

1. Lightspace CMS main component to create a 3D LUT from the rec.709 ICC profile I create with my i1 Display Pro software on my Mac OS X desktop. This may work for resolve but premiere pro doesn't use LUTs.

2. Spears and Munsil and DVE HD Basics HDTV calibration disks.

I'd love to go the inexpensive calibration disk route, but I've read that the calibration disks only work with HUE and Saturation adjustments of the display.

Thanks and any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 167
You're going to be pretty close out of the box.

You need a meter and software to do better, a disc won't help.

Calibration software is needed to change the gamma, and the color primaries are good with the sRGB setting. Using custom color and adjusting hue and saturation will cause artifacts.

To get the best results you'll also need a 3D LUT. Since premier doesn't support them, don't do final proofing in premier, only resolve.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Sotti. I just learned that Lightspace is a PC software and I currently only own a mac. Does anybody know of a LUT creation software for Mac OS 10.8?

Also, I've sort of tweaked the service menu RGB levels in the u2410 without taking note of the defaults. I did this when I created an sRGB ICC profile for the desktop using the i1 Display Pro Profiler. My second question is, with the RGB levels correct on the desktop via DVI, should it mean correct RGB via HDMI?

thanks again.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrak1979 View Post

Thanks for the input Sotti. I just learned that Lightspace is a PC software and I currently only own a mac. Does anybody know of a LUT creation software for Mac OS 10.8?

At this time I'm not sure what applications are available for that to run on the Mac for 3D LUTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrak1979 View Post

Also, I've sort of tweaked the service menu RGB levels in the u2410 without taking note of the defaults. I did this when I created an sRGB ICC profile for the desktop using the i1 Display Pro Profiler. My second question is, with the RGB levels correct on the desktop via DVI, should it mean correct RGB via HDMI?

Tweaking via the service menu is fine (I do that with mine).

There isn't any guarantee when switching between DVI and HDMI, you'll need to remeasure to verify.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Hey guys, let me jump in this topic, as I'm also a U2410 proud owner!

What is this Factory Menu you talk about? Does it allow me to get better performance from my U2410? I calibrate it using X-Rite software, and the monitor itself is set to a sRGB Preset, what is it you guys do beyond that to get better performance from it?

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

the factory menu lets you calibrate it in a permenant fashion (as opposed to with the graphics card LUT via CalPC or x-rite software).

But it's not that big a deal it just gives you RGB gains in 8bit steps.

I did calibrate my gains to D65 in the service menu, but other than that I pretty much just run it in sRGB mode and am quite happy with it.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 10 Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Wow, didn't know that! Definetely going to try it!

So, we should do the same as with TVs, First calibrate the monitor to the best possible, then do the SOftware calibration, right? Thank you for the nice info!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM

The X-Rite i1Profiler software gave me horrible posterization on the Lower End of the Gamma Strip. What do you guys use for your U2410 calibration? I noticed the X-Rite Software made huge corrections below 20%, not wise to do since the Hardware probably didn't measure very well down there.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the CalPC Client.

It works with CalMAN 5's autocal feature and can generate a base ICC.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Oh of course! I found out about DispCal, amazing freeware software! Now no posterization, although I'm getting some banding, but I guess when you do Software corrections there's no way to get the same smooth gradient than without none, right?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page