HTPC calibration with i1dispaly pro? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't have any consoles or stand alone players, just normal pc with radeon 6970 setup as extended desktop, to view movies from my computer. And I do mean all the time, not other source than the pc.

I bought few days ago i1dispaly pro to calibrate my lcd monitor and my projector and I have been thinking about the whole calibrating process. Do I really need avsforum calibration disc or my sonys RCP to properly calibrate my projector? As I figure, since my pj is hooked to computer, the only thing I need to do is to calibrate it just like any other regular computer screen?

This would be super easy compared to the way everyone else is doing it here. Loading up calibration disk and manually adjusting everything. As I figure the computer screen calibration goes more faster and it makes this calibration file which is loaded every time windows starts.

So does the x-rite iprofiler calibration software make the same end result as any other monitor calibration software? Or is there so big difference between different software that I should consider something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Greetings

If you do not feed anything else into the projector other than the computer ... then it should work. If you feed other things in ... then they will bypass the ICC file in the computer where the calibration information actually sits. Only the computer is calibrated and nothing else will be.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidabi View Post

I don't have any consoles or stand alone players, just normal pc with radeon 6970 setup as extended desktop, to view movies from my computer. And I do mean all the time, not other source than the pc.

I bought few days ago i1dispaly pro to calibrate my lcd monitor and my projector and I have been thinking about the whole calibrating process. Do I really need avsforum calibration disc or my sonys RCP to properly calibrate my projector? As I figure, since my pj is hooked to computer, the only thing I need to do is to calibrate it just like any other regular computer screen?

This would be super easy compared to the way everyone else is doing it here. Loading up calibration disk and manually adjusting everything. As I figure the computer screen calibration goes more faster and it makes this calibration file which is loaded every time windows starts.

So does the x-rite iprofiler calibration software make the same end result as any other monitor calibration software? Or is there so big difference between different software that I should consider something else?

What a coincidence. Please see my series of posts about the Sony 46" monitor to see how I arrived at an excellent calibration using the i1 Display Pro.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

If you do not feed anything else into the projector other than the computer ... then it should work. If you feed other things in ... then they will bypass the ICC file in the computer where the calibration information actually sits. Only the computer is calibrated and nothing else will be.

Regards

Not just that MIchael, but ICC don't work for video playback, there is one single video app that uses ICC, 99% of the apps out there, including all apps for blu-ray playback completely ignore ICC profiles.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Not just that MIchael, but ICC don't work for video playback, there is one single video app that uses ICC, 99% of the apps out there, including all apps for blu-ray playback completely ignore ICC profiles.

While it is true that the playback applications ignore profiles, the system profile can still be in effect. Please see my recent Sony Monitor thread in here where I show that it IS possible to use the ICC profile set up by the i1 Pro with playback apps such as JRiver. The key is to enable the profile system-wide, then it applies to any video or image which is being shown.

BK
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post

While it is true that the playback applications ignore profiles, the system profile can still be in effect.

The graphic cards lut which affect white point and gamma are in effect, the ICC profile which controls gamut do not work unless the application is ICC aware. Video players are not ICC aware, and therefore do not get any kind of CMS control from the ICC profile.

Please stop spreading missinformation, you may not fully understand what you are talking about, but it is incorrect.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... interesting. So is mpc-hc + madvr combination aware of ICC profiles?

At least in madvr setting have this:

And I don't really understand, if ICC profile is system wide, then it shouldn't matter if some programs doesn't understand ICC profiles, it just overrides everything the video player is throwing at you... right?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidabi View Post

And I don't really understand, if ICC profile is system wide, then it shouldn't matter if some programs doesn't understand ICC profiles, it just overrides everything the video player is throwing at you... right?

It's not system wide.

The OS just provides the information about the ICC profiles that are registered, the applications have to do all the actual color management themselves. That's why so few pieces of video software support ICC.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty lame. You think that you have calibrated monitor, but don't know that only a handful programs can take advantage. No calibrated colors for video, games and pretty much anything you actually want it the most.

I guess then I have to do it the hard way. Use the iprofiler and adjust colors from my sony RCP.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page