LG TV internal patterns and AVCHD calibration disk patterns measures - AVS Forum
Display Calibration > LG TV internal patterns and AVCHD calibration disk patterns measures
Killerbeenl's Avatar Killerbeenl 10:14 AM 02-26-2013
Hi,

I have been testing my 47LW4500 lcd/led with internal patterns and the Avchd calibration disk patterns.

40=internal 40%
50=avchd disk 40%

80=internal 80%
90=avchd disk 80%

This is measured with my i1pro spectro

biggrin.gif

Chad B's Avatar Chad B 05:27 PM 02-26-2013
I don't trust internally generated patterns in displays. I've seen too many problems with them. The differences you measured above are very small, though.
Curiously, LG plasma internal patterns are full field, or at least they were the last time I checked. It would be a disaster to try to calibrate a plasma with full field patterns.
Killerbeenl's Avatar Killerbeenl 05:08 AM 02-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

The differences you measured above are very small.

Curiously, LG plasma internal patterns are full field, or at least they were the last time I checked. It would be a disaster to try to calibrate a plasma with full field patterns.

for plasma the internal full field patterns like mine lcd/led could (should?) be a problem.

maybe anyone here could compare them on there plasma.

My main goal for measure them both is to show viewers here that there COULD be no difference for grayscale internal/external patterns.

Measuring external color patterns for CMS calibration are very different while measuring/adjusting them during onscreen menu visible with my LG.

measuring/adjusting grayscale does not suffer from this.

So much different factors have influence on the end result.
Doug Blackburn's Avatar Doug Blackburn 01:01 PM 02-27-2013
For LCD displays, it doesn't matter what size the test patterns are... full screen or window... you'll get the same results.
Killerbeenl's Avatar Killerbeenl 04:55 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

For LCD displays, it doesn't matter what size the test patterns are... full screen or window... you'll get the same results.

true, and easy to check.
eghill1125's Avatar eghill1125 07:07 AM 03-08-2013
So any consensus on this subject here. I was curious about this. I only run one HDMI into my LG. I have done a pretty nice calibration now using my Sony Blu-Ray player and AVSHD. I was just wondering if I could just calibrate the display itself like this and get rather similar results. Would that be considered good or is this not something that theoretically works. From Killerbeenl's numbers above, it looks like the inner patterns match up pretty well.
Killerbeenl's Avatar Killerbeenl 08:14 AM 03-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125 View Post

So any consensus on this subject here. I was curious about this. I only run one HDMI into my LG. I have done a pretty nice calibration now using my Sony Blu-Ray player and AVSHD. I was just wondering if I could just calibrate the display itself like this and get rather similar results. Would that be considered good or is this not something that theoretically works. From Killerbeenl's numbers above, it looks like the inner patterns match up pretty well.

hi eghill,

the problem with internal patterns could be during calibration the tv menu is on screen and that could screwup the WB measures.

You have to try compare them both like i did.

One thing is certain and that is you can not assume they measure the same:)

A few "tricks" could lead to better result on the LG edge led screen when calibrate:

1-disable local dimming
2-disable Truemotion
3-measure "noncontact" with a little angle in totally dark room or with a black blanket wrapped around the screen and meter

have fun smile.gif
eghill1125's Avatar eghill1125 08:56 AM 03-08-2013
I think I have a weird TV.. biggrin.gif

I ran another cal last night on the lw5600. Local dimming off for 2 and 10 point adjustments as well as CMS. Gamma was really good. No bumps or spikes anywhere. Turned the local dimming on. Checked the AVSHD after and the grayscale had some definite shades going through it. Checked the color temp and was 6506. Watched some material on the TV and did not care for the picture at all. The blacks were crushing again from what I saw. Put the disk back in and checked the brightness pattern and it looked ok, but the flshing 17 was barely there now and was more visible when I finished the cal.

So I then went back in and checked the 10 point with the local dimming on and my points were way low. The gamma line before was 2.2 and this time it was 2.38 or somewhere near there. So I decided to redo with the local dimming on the whole way through. I made adjustments on the 10 point one at a time removing the LG menu before each measurement and then putting it back up to make changes. A lot slower, but more accurate than having it up. Got my grayscale back to 2.2 again with local dimming on and re checked the grayscale pattern. The color tinitng was gone and the the temp was now 6503.

Watched the TV again and the picture was remarkably better and the black crush was gone, but still inky. The brightness pattern now showed 17 flashing more visibly than before and still black at 16.

Maybe I got a weird one, but the local dimming off to calibrate has given me a worse picture than with it on the whole time. Just with it on, I have to make sure not to read any measurements with the OSD up or I screw myself.
Up
Mobile  Desktop