old panasonic plasma ph10uk isf calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I would like to get advice regarding the calibration of our 6 years old panny 42" 10uk industry model plasma screen; mainly on what to expect, and whether it will be worthwhile to invest.

I am located in Ankara, Turkey and we have one isf certified dealer asks around $200 to fully calibrate the monitor (for morning and evening view). He wrote to me that he is using the menu in the so-called "panel map"; but not the service menu. Is there anything called panel map - i am confused a bit...

Also, what should I ask to make certain that i am not ripped off and it will be a wortwhile investment for our panel...

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Greetings

He'd likely do it in the Cinema mode for night and some other brighter mode for day. You can't really calibrate for day anyway .... unless you can define what daylight means. Which you can't and no one can since the light changes all the time during the day and will depending on the weather and the time of year.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The commercial panels have all the tools you need in the user menu's so no need to enter service to do them...although you can just as easily do them there. I calibrated a lot of commercial panasonic monitors (still think they are great!). You should get a noticebale visual improvement if you have the work done imho

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Michael & Gordon: appreciate the replies - thank you.

As Michael suggested, he offered to setup two modes; one for brighter times and the other for lights-off (night) situation.

Now, I forgot to mention several things and I am sorry in advance for potentially basic below questions:

1) We have four source-display scenarios in our living room:

a) cable set-top-box >> ph10uk (5%)
b) 4 dishes (5 satellite coverage) >> prof revolution DVB-S2 8000 pci-e satellite card >> gts450 gpu inside the htpc >> ph10uk (5%)
c) htpc (using as a blu-ray and dvd player) with a gts 450 gpu (using mpc-hc + madvr + lav + haali) >> ph10uk (50%)
d) htpc (netflix) >> ph10uk (40%)

Let's assume having a calibrated display for a and b connections is not important for now, what would be my best/optimum process to calibrate our display for c and d connections?

2) IIRC, mpc-hc is ICC aware (though I couldn't find the option in the tray for "system wide" application - which is another problem for now, lol); so, I believe with a colorimeter and/or spectrophotometer and a suitable software I would be able to calibrate the monitor by myself (at least to a degree) - is this correct? This hopefully would solve the connection c...

3) Can anything be done for netflix (since I am using chrome and am not sure whether browsers are icc aware)?

4) What would be my best solution (budget wise - used or new) for $300, $500 and $1000 for above scenarios?

5) At some point in time, I am planning to calibrate photo printers, too. Would this change any solutions that you may offer to me?

Again, thanks a lot, I am continuously reading but at this point I am confused!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page