ee/ColorBox, LightSpace, and 3D LUT Calibration - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #481 of 496 Old 12-05-2015, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Thanks Ted. I'll try that, but I think my 2 point white balance is to blame. I restored the values at 20% and now the black background is black again with low-light patches. What this means, I think, is that I won't be able to balance the low end of my greyscale without raising minimum light levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 496 Old 12-05-2015, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 815
What you have to remember is that with blacks you can only balance by 'adding' colour, as reducing will cause clipping.
As a result, the 'black level' will lift.
But, there should be no difference in black level with different sources.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #483 of 496 Old 12-05-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That makes a lot of sense, but I'm a bit surprised finding out that adding color at 20% can lift blacks at 0%.

Perhaps a more targeted approach using the 10 point can help? I will see later today.

post #484 of 496 Old 12-05-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I too am surprised that 20% changes are affecting black, but some TVs have poor internal colour management controls.
As we do suggest, you can often get superior results by not using any internal colour management controls.
Just place all the TV settings to their basis settings, to give the best overall image consistency, with black and white clipping correctly set.
Image constancy means the most constant readings across the gamma and gamut, regardless of what the actual readings (colours) are.
Then let LightSpace CMS do the rest wit the 3D LUT.

This is the approach we use with many displays - and the results are near perfect.
See: http://www.lightillusion.com/calibra...omparison.html
The initial display set-up is far removed from the final calibration via the LightSpace 3D LUT - but the results are near ideal.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #485 of 496 Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When replacing a single 3D LUT using the Truvue app, the instructions are: Select 'Display Type'>Standard Non-RGB LED Display>General Media

Would it make a difference if I selected "RGB LED" instead? My Samsung is RGB "OLED" type.
wl1 likes this.
post #486 of 496 Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
When replacing a single 3D LUT using the Truvue app, the instructions are: Select 'Display Type'>Standard Non-RGB LED Display>General Media

Would it make a difference if I selected "RGB LED" instead? My Samsung is RGB "OLED" type.
No, it will make no difference at all.
You are specifically replacing the LUT with the one you have generated - the eeColour settings such as Standard Non-RGB LED Display, RGB LED are nit used in any way.
They were only of any value when using the (non-calibration based) original eeColor settings.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #487 of 496 Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you Steve!
post #488 of 496 Old 01-29-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'm a bit confused...

I used DisplayCAL to generate a LUT for my projector. I then selected save and the software generated 7 files: 3 were first1d-red/green/blue and then 3 that were second1d-red/green/blue and a single text file.

What do I do with them now? I believe I saw in the thread to rename to 3DLUT_# with # as the memory slot. Do I name the non-color file to this?

Then what? I see in post #2 what to select in the TrueVue software, but how does it know to use the file I saved? Do I need to put it in a certain folder?

Thanks!

Brian

Edit: Okay...I see these RGB files are not needed, but still need to know what to do with the single text file...

Edit#2: Does it go in TruVue Application/Data/3dtable/standard nonrbg led/General Media/3DLUT_# ?

Last edited by Brian B; 01-29-2017 at 06:42 PM.
post #489 of 496 Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
I'm a bit confused...

I used DisplayCAL to generate a LUT for my projector. I then selected save and the software generated 7 files: 3 were first1d-red/green/blue and then 3 that were second1d-red/green/blue and a single text file.

What do I do with them now? I believe I saw in the thread to rename to 3DLUT_# with # as the memory slot. Do I name the non-color file to this?

Then what? I see in post #2 what to select in the TrueVue software, but how does it know to use the file I saved? Do I need to put it in a certain folder?

Thanks!

Brian

Edit: Okay...I see these RGB files are not needed, but still need to know what to do with the single text file...

Edit#2: Does it go in TruVue Application/Data/3dtable/standard nonrbg led/General Media/3DLUT_# ?
Brian,

read this, should clear everything up ;-)

http://displaycalibrationtools.com/d...orkflow-guide/

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: CR-250, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #490 of 496 Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Day 1 of using Lightspace.

Has anybody used the Connect app for Lightspace on iOS and an AppleTV?

I've done a test LUT using Ted's disc for my bluray player, and that has worked fine (just a 10^3 test run). Even with that test LUT I can see a huge difference from my previous Argyll generated LUT.

I also tried using the Connect app to the AppleTV using the fully auto colour patches for a 17^3 set in the same time roughly, and the results are as if someone has ignored every number on a painting by numbers set and thrown in at random any paint colour it fancies. Seriously odd! I'm guessing there is a timing issue between the laptop to phone to AppleTV. I'm hoping someone has got it sussed and I don't need to waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.

LG OLED55C6T, Yamaha RX-A2050, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3090 speakers and 3070 sub, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500, LG UP970, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen, housed in a Dataworld 42U rack & AC Infinity S9
post #491 of 496 Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Day 1 of using Lightspace.

Has anybody used the Connect app for Lightspace on iOS and an AppleTV?

I've done a test LUT using Ted's disc for my bluray player, and that has worked fine (just a 10^3 test run). Even with that test LUT I can see a huge difference from my previous Argyll generated LUT.

I also tried using the Connect app to the AppleTV using the fully auto colour patches for a 17^3 set in the same time roughly, and the results are as if someone has ignored every number on a painting by numbers set and thrown in at random any paint colour it fancies. Seriously odd! I'm guessing there is a timing issue between the laptop to phone to AppleTV. I'm hoping someone has got it sussed and I don't need to waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.
Hi, I haven't used the LightSpace Connect, but note that when you have a software/hardware pattern generator then you are using the 'Closed Loop Mode' but when you have Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk then you are using the 'DIP Mode'.

DIP mode (Display Independent Profiling) is including an internal delay of 0.5 sec (500ms) which gives command to your meter to read each patch 0.5sec after it’s been displayed.

Closed Look don't have any internal delay, so you have to add that delay @ meter options. If you set 0.5 sec extra delay, you will have 0.5 delay in total before each meter read.

In DIP mode, if you set 0.5 sec extra delay then you will have 1 sec delay in total. (because DIP mode has 0.5sec integrated already)

See if adding an extra delay when you are using the Closed Loop mode due to latency from network connection, TV HDMI Input lag etc.
vollans likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #492 of 496 Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow if I get permission to hog the tv again...

LG OLED55C6T, Yamaha RX-A2050, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3090 speakers and 3070 sub, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500, LG UP970, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen, housed in a Dataworld 42U rack & AC Infinity S9
post #493 of 496 Old 06-17-2017, 06:32 PM

Yup, that did the trick. There's a setting on the "Network" section of the profiler to set a delay. The page on the website for the Connect app doesn't mention anything about it.

Anyway, 24 hours later my TV is now calibrated via the eeColor for both my Sony bluray and my Apple TV as separate buttons with a quick 1000 patch each to get a feel for which settings for the LUTs I like on the TV before doing a full 17^3. I'll get around to my Fetch box later. Fit Chroma seems to be producing the best looking results on my LG C6, and especially with my cable box which otherwise seems to flatten the brightest areas of a picture (skies and the 20th Century Fox logo being the worst offenders).

Seeing as I can't calibrate via the cable box as an input, I see a lot of fiddling with the options to find the best compromise for that awful box.

post #494 of 496 Old 06-18-2017, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While there was info on 'Extra Delay Time' in the LightSpace Connect user guide, it probably wasn't that obvious.
I've now improved that, as well as uploading a new version of LightSpace with corrections for the way Network Manager works when setting patch size/position.

http://www.lightillusion.com/lightsp...ct_manual.html
(You may need to refresh your browser cache...)

Steve
vollans likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #495 of 496 Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Anyway, 24 hours later my TV is now calibrated via the eeColor for both my Sony bluray and my Apple TV as separate buttons with a quick 1000 patch each to get a feel for which settings for the LUTs I like on the TV before doing a full 17^3. I'll get around to my Fetch box later. Fit Chroma seems to be producing the best looking results on my LG C6, and especially with my cable box which otherwise seems to flatten the brightest areas of a picture (skies and the 20th Century Fox logo being the worst offenders).
Hi, for your OLED check Peak Luma during colorspace conversion also, it's always provides better results to these LG's.
vollans likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #496 of 496 Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks, Steve, that reads a lot clearer now. And thanks, Ted, I'll give that a go and see how it looks. It's good to be getting somewhere with it and getting good results.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page