Meter/Software Bundles for Projector calibration, monitor, print, camera profiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any opinions for a good starting point for display calibration (currently have two DLP PJs, and one each of: LED LCD, CCFL LCD, Plasma) as well as camera and inkjet printer profiling? I'm not concerned with time to do a proper calibration/profile, so would I be best off with a spectro instead of a colorimeter? Not making money with any of these interests, and would like to keep the budget near $1k or under. Any advice appreciated.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I don't know of a colorimeter that can do reflective measurements as you'd need to do for printer profiling (not that there aren't any, I just don't know if there are), and the I1Pro/Pro2 spectros with necessary licensing are $$. There is a ColorMunki spectro that is less expensive, but I'm not sure if it can be used for printer and camera profiling. To do true calibration for displays (and not just ICC profiles) you'd also need third-party software like CalMAN or ChromaPure. $1K may be a bit low.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maybe xrite photo pro and use freeware for display calibration? Still over my desired budget, but may be the lowest price option that does a good job?

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

A good job is relative .. frown.gif Sort of like everyone telling you they are good drivers. And we still have accidents.

I also have the Color Munki Photo spectro and it can be used for printer color calibration too. $450 tops ... but to use this on non-computer displays you need calman or something else that is compatible.

Money versus accuracy ... Obviously trading something off if you don't want to spend money.

Spectros versus Colorimeters ...

Cheap Spectros versus Expensive spectros ...

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #5 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

A good job is relative .. frown.gif Sort of like everyone telling you they are good drivers. And we still have accidents.

I also have the Color Munki Photo spectro and it can be used for printer color calibration too. $450 tops ... but to use this on non-computer displays you need calman or something else that is compatible.

Money versus accuracy ... Obviously trading something off if you don't want to spend money.

Spectros versus Colorimeters ...

Cheap Spectros versus Expensive spectros ...

Regards

So, in your opinion, would the Colormunki Photo coupled with Calman do the trick? The trick being that the average viewer would not notice any distracting color casts in video or prints? I know average viewer needs to be defined to answer this, but just work with me wink.gif

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #6 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

So, in your opinion, would the Colormunki Photo coupled with Calman do the trick? The trick being that the average viewer would not notice any distracting color casts in video or prints? I know average viewer needs to be defined to answer this, but just work with me wink.gif

Yes I do believe that would be the least expensive combination of products that would allow you to calibrate all of those mediums.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration