post #541 of 551 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
And if you need to generate a new cLUT using another gamma formula you need to take again a new 3x patch reads run.
Add 2x in your total time if CalMAN crushes during the AutoCAL also, something that is happening a lot lately for large cubes, as users reported.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 551 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Add 2x in your total time if CalMAN crushes during the AutoCAL also, something that is happening a lot lately for large cubes, as users reported.
...and add 2x your time with the other software to start Calman to profile your meters again and do some verification that the other software cannot do, leading to different profiles being used for calibration and verification, which is far from ideal.

I really don't believe it's fair to either software to mention only one side of the story.

As you know, I have spent the last ten days running large LUTs with calman, it didn't crash once. Are these crashes reported with beta/RC versions or the latest release version (build 1598)?
post #543 of 551 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
...and add 2x your time with the other software to start Calman to profile your meters again and do some verification that the other software cannot do, leading to different profiles being used for calibration and verification, which is far from ideal.

You can profile with dispcal and has full auto verify function exported to a smart html spreadsheet.
post #544 of 551 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
You can profile with dispcal and has full auto verify function exported to a smart html spreadsheet.

I wasn't talking about dispcal as argyllCMS doesn't support my meter so I'm unable to test it. I was talking about another software using a similar methodology, which I was able to test because it supports my meter.

Anyway, I was dragged into this reluctantly, as I said earlier, I don't have an eecolor so I'm out.

Thanks for your information .
post #545 of 551 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
No crashes on my end...
post #546 of 551 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Yes, but if you only use one gamma formula and the methodology that reads each patch once needs to read 4900 patches, it takes longer than reading each patches 3 times if you can get the same result using only around 1000 points. And if your display drifts every 200 hours or so, and you need to re-read all the 4900 patches evey time, you're not apsaving any time.
Not to mention that Calman is fairly intuitive.

I don't really want to take two weeks of trial and error to figure out software.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #547 of 551 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I wasn't talking about dispcal as argyllCMS doesn't support my meter so I'm unable to test it.
What meter is that ?
post #548 of 551 Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
What meter is that ?
It's the basICColor DISCUS.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #549 of 551 Old Today, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
What meter is that ?
Hello Graham,

It's the BasiCColor Discus which I use trained to the i1pro2. We have discussed it recently in the MadVR/ArgyllCMS thread when I wanted to give it a try (at the time Calman was not supporting MadVR and I wanted to assess that) and you told me you had no plan to support it as you have no acces to one, which I totally understand.

I'm sorry that my naive question to Hitman started one of these discussions I hate reading on AVS and which I usually never participate to. These discussions are silly. I really don't understand why some users feel that the software that fits their need best is necessarily "better". It reminds me of Mac/PC discussions or here the JVC/Sony ones .

I happen to have both a Mac and many PCs and I use both for different things they are better suited to. Plus there is the matter of price, and in that area I don't think anything can beat ArgyllCMS/dispcalGUI or HCFR

I started with HCFR (before the fork) and stopped using it when it stopped evolving at that time, and then I purchased and used over the years Chromapure and Calman. I have evaluated LS (twice) once it added Discus and radiance mini support and would have looked at ArgyllCMS/dispcalGUI if it had supported the Discus because I'm interested in its LUT generation feature and the fact that it supports MadTPG, unlike any of the paid-for software at this stage. Today I only use Calman because it fits my present needs best, supports my hardware perfectly (meter, VP and display) and gives me great results.

I'm not saying that one approach is better than the other (and I'm frequently recommending another approach to friends, especially when it does something that the others don't or don't do as well or when a free solution suits them better) but in order to do a proper, objective comparative one has to leave the "cult member" approach, become as proficient with all products, properly understand the pros and cons of each methodology used and look at them not from their own perspective but from each type of user perspective. I haven't had the time to do so hence I've never started a comparative thread, even if I have looked around and made my own opinion for my own needs. That opinion is not set forever, and I'm not tied to any solution. If the product I used falls behind, I look elsewhere.

That being said, when I see something unfair posted about Calman in a Calman thread, I do react because I don't like bias. I would do exactly the same (and have already done so when I felt I had to) for Chromapure, Lightspace, HCFR or ArgyllCMS/dispcalGUI. This is AVS science and an incorrect fact should be corrected when spotted, irrespective of personal preferences or even friendship.

None of this is directed to you (or anyone else) specifically but your quote dragged me back in a thread I had left so I prefer to clarify my point of view .

By the way, one last thing, I'd like to also take this opportunity to thank you for the work you and others are doing for this community. I admire the amount of work put into these non-commercial projects out of sheer passion and the incredible level of performance they reach. Because you are looking at it from an enthusiast perspective, you are forcing others to implement features they would probably never implement otherwise because it doesn't always make economical sense for a wider audience, but are forced to because of you. For this, and for many other reasons, everyone owes you guys .

Now as this is an eecolor calman thread I would really appreciate if it could go back to its topic, as I would honestly like to be able to leave it for good, having no eecolor myself and having subscribed to it when I was trying to resolve the Calman MadVR support issue, which is now solved...
post #550 of 551 Old Today, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Come on Manni lets be truthful, I didn't say anything about one is better than the other in the context your using, I merely "recommended" DCal for 3Dlut creation, as bigger lut creations can be possible as it's faster, end of.

Even though I use DCal for most of the calibration process, it still doesn't make my copy of Calman defunct, it's still in use for other things

You did create "the bigger" conversation yourself, no one forced you into it and it's not silly in anyway as now you know something else is available to help you and that's the context of my original post, to help!

Maybe you should be careful what you ask if you don't like discussing things further but you may miss out especially if the intention from the other poster is to help you

Last edited by -Hitman-; Today at 12:56 AM.
post #551 of 551 Old Today, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Come on Manni lets be truthful, I didn't say anything about one is better than the other in the context your using, I merely "recommended" DCal for 3Dlut creation, so bigger lut creations can be possible as it's faster, end of.

You stated that DispcalGUI's method was faster because it read patches 1x vs Calman reading them 3x. This is an incorrect statement because the methodology used is different and each method has drawbacks and advantages, but it would take even longer to explain them in detail.

Again I can't comment on DispcalGUI but in my setup, testing another software which uses a similar method (From what I understand in your statement), I got similar results with Calman from a color accuracy point of view (all dE in Colorchecker SG under 3 and average below 1) in LESS time (around 2 hours vs around 2 hours and 40mn with the software that measures all the points one time). All the charts were disabled in Calman during the cube generation to speed it up, otherwise the time would be roughly the same. I only kept the text data. I don't know if such speed optimisation is possible in the other software at the expense of visual feedback. Visually the results were identical (and both were EXCELLENT).

The reason why I don't want to discuss this further is because it's OFF TOPIC IN THIS THREAD and I can't test DispGUI myself

Now as you can use both software, please start a fair comparison thread, where you provide times and measurements for both software and where we can discuss this at will or let's drop it .

Simply dropping a statement like you did is biased and unfair unless backed up with facts and measurements.

Last edited by Manni01; Today at 01:44 AM.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page