eeColor Processor - CalMAN - 3D LUTs - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

Old 03-08-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
The EE Color has 1D and 3D LUTs.

We should reset the 3D LUT prior to the profiling pass. You can stack the 3D LUT on top of the 1D LUT so you don't need to reset the 1D LUT first.
But at some point, if you do a dense enough cube, you don't need the 1D LUT... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
eeColor Processor - CalMAN - 3D LUTs

Quote:
The EE Color has 1D and 3D LUTs.

We should reset the 3D LUT prior to the profiling pass. You can stack the 3D LUT on top of the 1D LUT so you don't need to reset the 1D LUT first.

sotti thank you for you comments. What I'm seeing is after the reads are completed and the color correction table is loaded into the eeColor box is the following: I immediately run the post-3D LUT verification per the Calman workflow with the meter, pattern generator (MobileForge on Fire TV fed through the eeColor box during 3D LUT correction Table creation and during post-checks using Calman) and LUT holder all still hooked up, and the results are not changed from the pre-calibration check. Is it possible the eeColor box is still in pass-thru mode? Then I disconnect the meter and pattern source from the laptop while leaving the eeColor box connected via USB and run calibration checks in Calman. I'm assuming Calman is using either the target 3D LUT file in eeColor or the same 3D LUT file stored on the laptop. In any case, the results of all checks show the target primaries and secondary colors, grey scale, Gama, and RGB balance to be excellent. I then put the S&M calibration disk in the BD player and the color, contrast, brightness, hues, etc are very good to perfect. Finally, I watch content (from the BD) and the display's image is absolutely stunning. So my conclusion is, somehow, after the 3D LUT creation process, for some reason, the post-calibration checks immediately after the 3D LUT is loaded, following Calman's workflow, the pattern signal is still in the pass-through mode. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? By the way, after connecting to the eeColor box, and setting the target memory (3D LUT 2 in this case), I did a full DDC reset. I've been seeing this issue before but thought it was just a bad calibration. I no longer believe this is the case. Thank you for sharing insight into this issue.

Last edited by gr8sound; 03-09-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 322
The EE color can get stuck in passthrough mode. make sure it's showing the ID number for the slot and not 0.

Disconnecting the EE is the most surefire way to make sure it's applying correction.

If the fireTV and a S&M disk don't line up, it could be that levels are shifted. Checking the black levels with the pluge on S&M and then make sure it measures similarly between the S&M and fireTV.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The EE color can get stuck in passthrough mode. make sure it's showing the ID number for the slot and not 0.

Disconnecting the EE is the most surefire way to make sure it's applying correction.

If the fireTV and a S&M disk don't line up, it could be that levels are shifted. Checking the black levels with the pluge on S&M and then make sure it measures similarly between the S&M and fireTV.

Okay sotti, got it, thank you. Assumed something like that was going on.

Is my assumption correct that the 3D LUT tables created and stored by Calman can be used for post-calibration checks as opposed to taking additional readings directly off the display using a pattern generator? Is this an accurate method that can be used to assess the quality of the LUT corrections and to create accurate reports from? This could really be helpful when equipment must be disconnected immediately after a calibration session.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sound View Post
Is my assumption correct that the 3D LUT tables created and stored by Calman can be used for post-calibration checks as opposed to taking additional readings directly off the display using a pattern generator?
By default CalMAN uses the hardware to validate the results. It does have a copy of the LUT and can use it as a VirtualLUT, but it is not enabled by default and you would have to make 3 or 4 mouse clicks to enable the "VirtualLUT".

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
By default CalMAN uses the hardware to validate the results. It does have a copy of the LUT and can use it as a VirtualLUT, but it is not enabled by default and you would have to make 3 or 4 mouse clicks to enable the "VirtualLUT".

Okay, this makes sense to ensure accuracy in the final result. So, being connected via USB allows Calman to read the corrected values directly from eeColor box in terms of running post calibration checks without actually performing additional reads (which would be redundant immediately after said 3D LUT creation). Am I correct on this?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay, this makes sense to ensure accuracy in the final result. So, being connected via USB allows Calman to read the corrected values directly from eeColor box in terms of running post calibration checks without actually performing additional reads (which would be redundant immediately after said 3D LUT creation). Am I correct on this?
No it simply allows us to clear the LUT prior to profiling and upload the LUT at the end.

Verification always requires doing a measurement pass.
gr8sound likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Looking for some input on this setup with an eecolor box, being a 3D user:

Dish DVR and Oppo 103D sources. Dish DVR runs into 103D HDMI In Back input.

HDMI 1 out from Oppo will run a 3-foot cable for the video to the eecolor, and then another 3-foot cable out to the LG OLED.
HDMI 2 out from the Oppo runs a 6-foot cable to the Denon AVR for audio only.
I run the Oppo on Source Direct.

I figure when I watch a 3D disk I'll just unplug the 3-foot cable going from the 103D to the eecolor, and plug it directly into the LG because it will be long enough.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Looking for some input on this setup with an eecolor box, being a 3D user:

Dish DVR and Oppo 103D sources. Dish DVR runs into 103D HDMI In Back input.

HDMI 1 out from Oppo will run a 3-foot cable for the video to the eecolor, and then another 3-foot cable out to the LG OLED.

HDMI 2 out from the Oppo runs a 6-foot cable to the Denon AVR for audio only.

I run the Oppo on Source Direct.

I figure when I watch a 3D disk I'll just unplug the 3-foot cable going from the 103D to the eecolor, and plug it directly into the LG because it will be long enough.

Do you have the AVR going out to an input on the tv? If so, you could switch to Dual Display in the Oppo Video/Dual HDMI Output setting instead of swapping cables around.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohnny View Post
Do you have the AVR going out to an input on the tv? If so, you could switch to Dual Display in the Oppo Video/Dual HDMI Output setting instead of swapping cables around.

I don't, but that is def an option.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Actually, now that I think if it, I'm not sure hdmi2 will output 3D, so maybe my suggestion is bad. Testing or research needed. Your original plan might be the only good option unless you decide to use hdmi2 as primary with eeColor, and hdmi1 for 3D only.
gadgtfreek likes this.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Hi, generally OPPO's HDMI1 is the more transparent and it's using the main video chipset processing, it's better to use this output for video.

You can use an 1x2 HDMI 1.4 Splitter. That splitter will send image from the 1 input (Your OPPO HDMI1) the 2 outputs simultaneously.

One output will go directly to your display for 3D Movies and the second output to eeColor -> display for 2D movies and you will be able to select from your TV's remote which HDMI Source you will need to watch.

If you have 1 HDMI Input left for example to your TV or you have a projector, you can get as extra a HDMI 1.4 Switcher with a remote, end connect there the 2 HDMI that will come from the splitter, so you will be able to switch from the Switchers remote, to have one HDMI output for the display.
gadgtfreek likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 PM

Success: Mobileforge + eeColor + i1Pro2 + C6 + Calman HE + KURO + Rayjr

Over the weekend I had some time to set everything up in preparation to run another 3D LUT in accordance with the gracious (critical) information Rayjr offered in this endeavor. By the way, don't hesitate to contact Rayjr for ANY DIY's who are stuck--especially with the eeColor box. As have written in previous posts, earlier results produced great images but far from acceptable when the post-calibrated display was measured in Calman. For the first time, I profiled the C6 using a brand new i1Pro 2 as the reference spectrometer in Calman Home Enthusiast (latest revision). A tip from Ray, I set the delay time to 1.0 second and stimulus level to 100% and the read points to 3500. Also, of course, performed the full DDC reset and, and for the first time, skipped the 1D LUT in the workflow. Also, as has always been the case, could not get the pre-calibrate White deltaE below 7.5. I wonder how much improvement the results would have been if I was able to get it below the recommended 3.0? Anyway, the total run time was about 3 hours. Holding my breath, I ran the post-calibration measurements, and for the first time, got very good results! Watching content, the problem I was having with red-faces went away as the skin tones were excellent. The pre- and post- calibration results are shown below. A big thanks to Rayjr for his help in getting this all to finally come together for a great calibrated display. By the way, using the M&S II calibration disk as an independent review of the calibration results proved the plasma display was calibrated far beyond what I could have achieved using the TV display controls alone. The contrast and brightness were perfect as well as the tint and color. The colorspace was also perfect with all of the de-saturated little clipping squares barely visible in all of the color blocks showing correct adjustments. Over all, just a fantastic result, which finally can be shown via the post-calibration meter measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-calibrate 27MAR2016.png
Views:	82
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	1345458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Post-Calibrate 27MAR2016.png
Views:	97
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	1345466  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Over the weekend I had some time to set everything up in preparation to run another 3D LUT in accordance with the gracious (critical) information Rayjr offered in this endeavor. By the way, don't hesitate to contact Rayjr for ANY DIY's who are stuck--especially with the eeColor box. As have written in previous posts, earlier results produced great images but far from acceptable when the post-calibrated display was measured in Calman. For the first time, I profiled the C6 using a brand new i1Pro 2 as the reference spectrometer in Calman Home Enthusiast (latest revision). A tip from Ray, I set the delay time to 1.0 second and stimulus level to 100% and the read points to 3500. Also, of course, performed the full DDC reset and, and for the first time, skipped the 1D LUT in the workflow. Also, as has always been the case, could not get the pre-calibrate White deltaE below 7.5. I wonder how much improvement the results would have been if I was able to get it below the recommended 3.0? Anyway, the total run time was about 3 hours. Holding my breath, I ran the post-calibration measurements, and for the first time, got very good results! Watching content, the problem I was having with red-faces went away as the skin tones were excellent. The pre- and post- calibration results are shown below. A big thanks to Rayjr for his help in getting this all to finally come together for a great calibrated display. By the way, using the M&S II calibration disk as an independent review of the calibration results proved the plasma display was calibrated far beyond what I could have achieved using the TV display controls alone. The contrast and brightness were perfect as well as the tint and color. The colorspace was also perfect with all of the de-saturated little clipping squares barely visible in all of the color blocks showing correct adjustments. Over all, just a fantastic result, which finally can be shown via the post-calibration meter measurements.
Every once in a while..I know what I am talking about..

Congrats on the great results.

Later
RayJr
gr8sound likes this.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 AM

eeColor Processor - CalMAN - 3D LUTs

There is one head scratcher though. My gama curve was less than ideal. Using 10% grayscale, the curve variance occurred at the 80-100% end of the curve. When using 5%, the curve looks worse. I wondered if this is a result of the limited accuracy of the C6? Also, I only used the spectro to profile the C6 to the display, but I know the i1Pro2 is limited to an accuracy of 10nm. Could the gama curve error be a result of the i1 Pro 2 limitation? Thanks is advance.

Last edited by gr8sound; 03-29-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered one for my LG OLED. Looking forward to using it, Chad will be here 4/23 to cal.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
There is one head scratcher though. My gama curve was less than ideal. Using 10% grayscale, the curve variance occurred at the 80-100% end of the curve. When using 5%, the curve looks worse. I wondered if this is a result of the limited accuracy of the C6? Also, I only used the spectro to profile the C6 to the display, but I know the i1Pro2 is limited to an accuracy of 10nm. Could the gama curve error be a result of the i1 Pro 2 limitation? Thanks is advance.
Can you post a screenshot of the results?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
Old 04-07-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Can you post a screenshot of the results?

Unfortunately, not until I have the chance to take a new batch of readings. I thought I had saved the charts but could not locate them earlier. Thank you for asking. Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to retake the readings and will post the results then.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.7.0 Open Beta - Build: 2331 Released @ 13 April 2016

Release Notes

CalMAN 5.7.0 requires updated maintenance. Maintenance expiration date cut off is Jan 1, 2016.

Added Rec2020 support to QD780 and QD804 pattern generators.

Added the OLED Judd Modified white point.

Added Pattern Insertion feature for OLED displays. With this feature enabled, CalMAN will periodically display a full field pattern amidst the normal pattern progression. This feature is under Application Measurement Options and allows the user to specify frequency (in seconds), pattern duration (in seconds) and the pattern level.

Added a "User Mode" Exposure mode for the CR-100 and CR-250 meters.

Added Dolby Vision Golden reference .dvgr file import function for Dolby Vision calibrations.

Added support for the Teradek Colr LUT Box. This functions as both a Display and a Pattern Generator.

Added support for the Panasonic DX (2016) series displays.

Added a new EDR for the C6 to support LCD (LED PFS phosphor) displays.

Added HDR10 support to the Murideo. Requires firmware version 1.70.

Fixed issue connecting to the PR-730. We don't have one of these in house, so we'd love to get verification from the field that all is working well. If you have access to one, please let us know.

Added ST2084 Gamma formula to the ISF Professional license level.

Added support for the NEC and HP branded i1DisplayPro meters to the Ultimate, Professional, Expert, and Studio license levels.

Added support for the ISF Advanced report to the Studio license level.

Added 33 & 65 PC level 1D LUT data point options for the HP DreamColor z27x display.

Added 28 & 56 Video and 33 & 65 PC 1D LUT data points for EIZO displays.

Fixed an issue on the SI Basic, SI Advanced, Quick Analysis, HT Enthusiast, and Color Cube workflows.

The drop down for Colorspace was using an inappropriate data field.

Download Links

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.7.0 Open Beta - Build: 2332 Released @ 14 April 2016

Notes

Fixed a licensing issue.

Download Links

Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I was looking online at the eecolor website to find a download link for the truview software. I redid a laptop computer to use for calibration and wanted to load truview on it.

I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know if its been pulled?

Do you really even need it if you're using Calman?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I was looking online at the eecolor website to find a download link for the truview software. I redid a laptop computer to use for calibration and wanted to load truview on it.

I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know if its been pulled?

Do you really even need it if you're using Calman?
Hi Jim,

I have uploaded these files to my site.

You don't need eeColor application if you are using CalMAN, unless you want to upload custom OSD screen menus.

You can download the TruVue Application Software Version 2 from here: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/f..._Version_2.zip

or the eeColor's manual: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/f...User_Guide.pdf

Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hey JimP,

Its at the bottom of the list (Download Selection*) available software to download from LI

http://www.lightillusion.com/downloads.html

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
Old 06-05-2016, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Would someone please check the latest official release of Calman and see if the default black level target setting under "Workflow Advanced Options" has changed from "use Measured Black Level" to the manual input with a value of 0.0005.

I don't recall changing it and though it originally defaulted to as measured.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Would someone please check the latest official release of Calman and see if the default black level target setting under "Workflow Advanced Options" has changed from "use Measured Black Level" to the manual input with a value of 0.0005.

I don't recall changing it and though it originally defaulted to as measured.
When I open a workflow (CalMAN Enthusiast), it still defaults to "Use Measured Black Level" for me.
JimP likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a separate thread regarding an eeColor 3D Lut box and CalMAN to be used with my LG EF9500. After a lot of input from various users, I think I am on the right track and have a very good 21^3 profile for my eeColor, but was hoping for a little more input and help in here for the final tuning (hopefully without having to rerun the profile).

1) Below are my before and after readings of the 3D Lut profile I created. For the before profile I calibrated the 2pt Low/High on the LG for 5% and 100% tracking, then did a quick run through of the 20pt grayscale controls (I already had a calibrated grayscale for my Sammy UHD player since it will not be a part of the eeColor chain so I just copied the settings and verified with a few reads). As you can see, the 3D Lut profile created did wonders for the colors...but knocked the grayscale out of tracking a little. My goal was a Power Curve of 2.25 with a Black Level Target of 0.005 to ramp out of black (per Chad B's custom workflow recommendation). Am I allowed/can I make a few small adjustments to the LG's 20pt controls to bring the grayscale back in line or at least soften the peaks and dips? Nothing major, just a few ticks here and there? If I have been learning correctly, as long as I don't touch the 100% IRE (100 White) controls, the colorspace corrections shouldn't be affected noticeably, right?

2) Below are before and after pictures of a Grayscale Ramp pattern. With the 3D Lut disabled, the Grayscale Ramp has no major/noticeable banding. But with it enabled there is noticeable banding. What would cause this and can I fix it or lessen the effects?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I had a separate thread regarding an eeColor 3D Lut box and CalMAN to be used with my LG EF9500. After a lot of input from various users, I think I am on the right track and have a very good 21^3 profile for my eeColor, but was hoping for a little more input and help in here for the final tuning (hopefully without having to rerun the profile).

2) Below are before and after pictures of a Grayscale Ramp pattern. With the 3D Lut disabled, the Grayscale Ramp has no major/noticeable banding. But with it enabled there is noticeable banding. What would cause this and can I fix it or lessen the effects?
Hi, are you sure that you measured 9261 color points (21-Point Cube)? How many hours it took?

About the problem you see at that grayscale ramps, can you locate a ~14MB *.TXT file that is located probably in the My Documers/SpectraCAL/LUT's/ folder; it's the correction file that CalMAN generated from your measurements (cLUT) and has uploaded to your eeColor.

If you find it, zip it and upload it (you can use for example the http://tinyupload.com/), to take a look and see what went wrong.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, are you sure that you measured 9261 color points (21-Point Cube)? How many hours it took?

About the problem you see at that grayscale ramps, can you locate a ~14MB *.TXT file that is located probably in the My Documers/SpectraCAL/LUT's/ folder; it's the correction file that CalMAN generated from your measurements (cLUT) and has uploaded to your eeColor.

If you find it, zip it and upload it (you can use for example the http://tinyupload.com/), to take a look and see what went wrong.
It took a little under 6 hours and CalMAN reported 9261 points measured at the end.

Here is the file download link
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...13925443053893

Thanks!

Last edited by BigCoolJesus; 06-05-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 815
@bcj

You may have over done your pre GS settings.
Try and avoid using Green for Low RGB white balance.

Wanted to try out JimP sugestion about using the sub controls in CM for the K10-A setup.
Ran a 9261 point profile and a 21 point GS, using autocal. Both GS and 3DLUT were uploaded to the beta Lumagen Pro 4444.

I have used CM 3DLUT with a Lumagen mini from when CM first came out with 3DLUT. For the last few years I have been using the eecolor and ArgyllCMS or Lightspace.

Anyway from what I seen this new CM does a very nice job for 3DLUT's.
The Charts may not be as preety as I can make them, but what I have seen is very good.

ss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamma, Colorchecker.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	1481417  

"Don't worry be happy"
Setup dispcalGUI, 2nd link settings for 65EF9500
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post35174522
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post39870898
Old 06-05-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
@bcj

You may have over done your pre GS settings.
Try and avoid using Green for Low RGB white balance.
For the Low 2pt control, the only adjustment made was -1 for Green.
5% IRE control was never touched (all values at 0), and 10% and 15% both have Green @ -4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement